Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that exhaust options for the WRX cost significantly higher then my previous experiences. Both my '87 Mustang GT and my 2000 Ford Focus offered full, quality exhaust options for quite a bit less then what we get with the WRX.

Further, the exhaust parts on the WRX seem to be far more partitioned out over several parts (I don't see an all-in-one kit), making the cost even that much higher through additional shipping charges.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining rather curious. (I looked up prices on these items before I bought the car). Is there such a high premium due solely to the fact that the car is turbo charged? I'm guessing the exhaust system has to be more robust to handle increased pressure as a result of the turbo?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, domestics are cheaper on parts then Imports in general... I was looking at a 350z before I got this car and the exhaust on that car for catback was about the same as it is on the Suby. I don't think that the exhaust is much different in cost. I would say that the sedan does cost more cause it has dual.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I realize there is usually a premium for import parts, but the question then is why do the domestic exhaust makers charge just as much in this case? Either they are taking advantage of the higher priced competition, or there is a some functional reason the costs are elevated comparatively.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
they're overpriced plus the car is very new... so they're taking advantage of this.

fact is it costs the manufacturers next to nothing to make the parts... they just know people who buy this car will pay their asking price.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Plus also volume. Once a company can make a large volume of parts because they know they will sell it should bring the price down. Right now people are just buying the cars and not everyone will automatically start throwing after market parts in. Once these ares a couple of years old the market becomes flooded with competition it will drive prices down too.

Seth

·
Registered
646 Posts
my theory is they know we will pay it. they figure if you pay 25-30k for a car u can pay 800 for a exhaust. kinda like ferrari and lambo exhausts are upwards of 4-5k. and there as long as our downpipes. they know owners will pay it, its the companies that are willing to listen to customers and have cheaper parts, rallitek is a good example, that people will buy there stuff in the long run

1 - 6 of 6 Posts