Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not too confident that this is the right place to ask this, but can someone explain to me what causes the "flame" or "fireball" shooting out of the exhaust? my curiosity is curious! haha thanks fellas

·
Registered
421 Posts
i'm not too confident that this is the right place to ask this, but can someone explain to me what causes the "flame" or "fireball" shooting out of the exhaust? my curiosity is curious! haha thanks fellas
Well, 2 ways to achieve it. the first way is deliberate, tapping the fuel lines into the exhaust and putting an igniter near the exhaust tip

The other way (or rather not a way but a reason for the flame) is a BOV. when the car boosts, the MAP sensor detects X amount of air going into the engine. When the BOV does its job of releasing air (Y amount), the amount of air is now X-Y cos the map is located before the BOV.

Now there is too much fuel for too little air. The excess goes into the exhaust and ignites when there is sufficient air, usually after the muffler.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you're backfiring a lot, does that mean you're running too rich?
if youre on a stock BPV, yes. Youre rear bumper & exhaust tip will also start looking brown/black.
Like this:
or this:
As stated, getting a vented BOV & CAI should do the trick.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I doubt you could get a backfire through the stock exhausts -- 3 mufflers and a cat are gonna eat those up. I think I got them when I disconnected it just post-cat though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts