Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to get a new exhaust for my subie, but i wasnt sure which muffler tips sounded the best. i want that supe deep rumble sound. im switching my dual exhaust to a single

·
Registered
333 Posts
well if youre scared that 3" will rob you of power then im guessing you have a 2.5i. For the rumble, you need UEL headers. for the deep sound, well what im going to get, and what everyone recommends, is the stromung axel-back. their cat-backs wont fit our cars, so you have to custom mod the piping from the cat to the muffler. also ya 3" will pobably rob you of power/ low end torque. people here seem to think it wont but a lot of the respected experts over at NASIOC say even 2.5' is on the big side and that 2.25" is optimal (Stromung makes hteir exhausts 2.25" for N/A subies and they know what theyre doing).

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
well if youre scared that 3" will rob you of power then im guessing you have a 2.5i. For the rumble, you need UEL headers. for the deep sound, well what im going to get, and what everyone recommends, is the stromung axel-back. their cat-backs wont fit our cars, so you have to custom mod the piping from the cat to the muffler. also ya 3" will pobably rob you of power/ low end torque. people here seem to think it wont but a lot of the respected experts over at NASIOC say even 2.5' is on the big side and that 2.25" is optimal (Stromung makes hteir exhausts 2.25" for N/A subies and they know what theyre doing).
People should read what you wrote b/c it seems like there are a number of 2.5i owners buying and installing the WRX SPT exhaust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i got a 05+ legacy cat back {3" polished ss} off ebay for 329 shipped to me and took it to my buddy at a muffler shop to modify it. we took the mufflers off and staight piped it, the mufflers didnt fit that well and they made it almost as quiet as stock. there is still the resonator under the car and it sounded good and the 3" help out the performance of the turbo. once i added the dp it got pretty loud but only on the turbo, just cruisn it rumbles nicely, i almost went with a single exhaust just to do something cause when i got the car there was nothing but those onthe market, but now im glad i went with the dual it looks and sounds way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! better. my exhaust looks great and you'd never know it wasnt built for the car if i didnt tell you. ill get some pics posted somewhere on here and a vid on youtube for some sound.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive already decided to get a 3 inch single pipe catback with an HKS hi power muffler gettin it installed next week!!! :D pretty stoked to get it put on

·
Registered
57 Posts
ive already decided to get a 3 inch single pipe catback with an HKS hi power muffler gettin it installed next week!!! :D pretty stoked to get it put on
ya im sure you'll love it over the the stock and way restrictive pipes, i heard an HKS single system in portland this weekend and it wasnt too loud when he got on it and it had a good rumble at idle. not sure if was resonated and muffled or just the muffler but it was cool!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oo nice! do you remember if when he got to the higher rpms did the car start to have that "whiney" sound or did it stay decently deep. i ve heard a couple start to whine when it gets to higher rpms

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have a straight pipe with the stock resonator. 2.75" on my wrx... it's quiet unless you floor it

3" is too big for NA and the SPT exhaust will give NA cars almost no benefit -- 2.25 to 2.5 is as big as you want to go. otherwise you lose all of your backpressure and torque.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yeah backpressure isn't as big of an issue for turbo cars

but 3" is still pretty big even for a car with a turbo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah it is pretty big, the guy doing the ehxuast said ill lose low end, but itll pick backk up on the top end. i was gonan go with 2.75 piping, but he said if i was planning on doing more mods, 3 inch piping would be ideal haha so imma just have to deal with the low end power loss for awhile. i dont think ill mind though :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
my car only got better after the exhaust, the stock pipes are so restrictive that it can't breath worth crap. My first mod was a bov [half recirc and half atmosphere] which helped out hte car from falling on its face from 1st to 2nd, then the exhaust which made the car fun. niether my car or the one in portland have any kind off a whine, just the turbo spooling and a good tone. my car is pretty loud even if not hittn the gas to hard but thats what i wanted. ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
word, probably the first mod to do ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts