Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres prolly like 21347 threads on exhaust..

Whats everyones preference...?

the TurboXS catback and Invidia N1 sounds really nice but I wanna AP sometime later so Im not sure,

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
91 Posts
either one is going to be nice. I would not worry about the AP you buy. If you buy one from TurboXS you need to have it married to your car at all times as compared to one like cobb or perrin. I do think they are all about the same. If you are really getting deep into mods, a pro tune is the way to go. It may cost a bit more but it will be worth it. take it for whats it is worth. I am sure many people with have a different opinion.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought... Is it okay to have a whole invidia setup and use lets say cobb stage 2 ots map?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I know theres prolly like 21347 threads on exhaust..

Whats everyones preference...?

the TurboXS catback and Invidia N1 sounds really nice but I wanna AP sometime later so Im not sure,

What do you guys think?
Now there is 21348 threads on exhaust ;)

It depends on what tone you want to hear. You want it to be loud as hell or more mellow, more like a sleeper. I am thinking about the Cobb DP with the SPT CBE. It is more on the sleeper side.

IMO, you should not wait to purchase the AP "sometime later" some form of EM is needed at the time the TBE is installed.

If you purchase a TBE, and run it, for an extended period without a tune or at least a Cobb stage II map, you are risking damaging you motor and you would not be pulling the most HP out of the mods. Whether you buy the AP from Cobb, Perrin, Rallitek, the BASE AP's are the same. The difference is really with individual companies ots maps. If you were going to stick with an ots stage II map it really depends on what octane you are running. For example: Perrin has their version of an Stage II ots map for 93oct that is considerably more agressive than the Cobb Stage II ots map and the AP costs the same if you buy it from Perrin or directly from Cobb.

To get the most out of a TBE a protune is the way to go and really is the safest option for you car.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am not sure what you mean 1,100 is alot of money, there are other options out there, Cobb DP 600 + SPT CBE 300 = 9bills, a little better?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am not sure what you mean 1,100 is alot of money, there are other options out there, Cobb DP 600 + SPT CBE 300 = 9bills, a little better?
the spt is way too meek to bother with.
May be meek for you... for me it is the sound I am looking for

Be it SPT or Megan... The bottom line there IMO you need to have EM in place before a TBE

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i know it wont be a full turbo back until i get EM

Just looking for ideas that wont give me the droning highway noise of a muffler

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went custom catback (3" magnaflow muffler) with an invidia downpipe and I'm very happy (and somewhat less poor. The catback cost me 250. :)). i also just flashed the stage 2 Cobb map today. Although I'm getting protuned in like a month I really like the untuned OTS map. I was real impressed. car pulls like a champ.

It also sounds BITCHIN!. Adding another straight through muffler downstream of the downpipe would probably make my car super civilized.

·
Registered
128 Posts
3" downpipe into a 2.5" midpipe defeats the purpose of getting a mandrel bent system. You might as well just spend 7bills (Cobb DP 600 + custom crush-bent CBE 100) and get your local exhaust shop to crush bend some pipes for you. There are 2.5" downpipes.. use one of those if you want to go turbo-back with the SPT.

EDIT: hold up.. it looks like nobody is making a 2.5" downpipe for the '08s yet. Pity.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
3" downpipe into a 2.5" midpipe defeats the purpose of getting a mandrel bent system. You might as well just spend 7bills (Cobb DP 600 + custom crush-bent CBE 100) and get your local exhaust shop to crush bend some pipes for you. There are 2.5" downpipes.. use one of those if you want to go turbo-back with the SPT.

EDIT: hold up.. it looks like nobody is making a 2.5" downpipe for the '08s yet. Pity.
Pitty for who ever is going to put a 2.5" DP on their car?? Who will do that???

Since I am planning on installing the the Cobb DP, with the SPT. So I called Cobb myself, and talked to Christian... He confirmed that the 3"Cobb DP is designed to fit the OEM CBE and should not have an issue with the SPT CBE. Here are a couple of pics Cobb taper...

From What I understand the SPT is 2.75" that flares to 3" at the bends http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=2246.30 Look at reply # 35... 2.75' vs 3" pipe you are splitting hairs. If you look at the applications you 2.5" pipe you are good to about 350hp and 3" you are good to 600hp. So a 2.75" pipe is somewhere in the 425 - 450hp range. I would take that...

Now I have not seen SPT in person, but here is a side by side pic, the pipe looks a little larger than OEM 2.5" compared to the SPT:

So $100 bend the pipe, ok then you buy your mufflers $40 - $50 EACH (I have a 4 door), then you get the hangers welded on $40 - $50 for all of them and hope like hell the fitment is good and tight. At this point you are looking at $250. If it is not tight you are spending more to have it tweaked to fit. You are basically at the price of SPT which is designed for the car.

Still sounds like a good deal to me...

·
Registered
128 Posts
You're right, I am splitting hairs. The Cobb, with it's taper looks like a good match to the SPT.

Your measurements for the SPT and OEM exhausts seem to be OD rather than ID. The SPT is 2.5 and the OEM is closer to 2.0. If the OEM were 2.5" we'd all just have new mufflers welded on.

As for the shop bending a catback.. a Summit Racing 3" glasspack is $30, and my local shop wouldn't have a problem bending and welding a pipe to fit and adding hangers for the other $60... and if I had a sedan I would be going to a single exit for the sake of weight loss and performance anyhow. Sure, it might be considered ghetto, but spending ridiculous money on aftermarket exhausts isn't exactly my cup of tea... especially when they're doing things like sneaking in a taper and calling it 3".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts