Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There goes a perfectly good narrow body. .
I'm looking for ideas not negative pointless comments.
If you want to chime in at least have the decency to add something constructive to benefit those who would like to have a flare option to run wider shoes.
:)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm looking for ideas not negative pointless comments.
If you want to chime in at least have the decency to add something constructive to benefit those who would like to have a flare option to run wider shoes.
It is something different but I wouldn't call it horrible or bad. It's the beginning process. It'll definitely look better once it's been smooth out.
I would definitely run the front forward more blending it into the lip of the bumper. Did you use Styrofoam to start your mould? I'd start off with a lot more and then sand it down to shape to your liking. Make it more rounded and even as well. :/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is something different but I wouldn't call it horrible or bad. It's the beginning process. It'll definitely look better once it's been smooth out.
I would definitely run the front forward more blending it into the lip of the bumper. Did you use Styrofoam to start your mould? I'd start off with a lot more and then sand it down to shape to your liking. Make it more rounded and even as well. :/
Thanks for the input!
I just used a quick run of foam on this, when I do the final product mold Im going to use clay over foam for a sleek smooth finish
Your the second to suggest moving the front forward so I'll keep that in mind when my wheels come in and I start working towards a final product.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
This is a start.
May I advise to try to blend the flares more with the body itself instead of making the flares a sudden protrusion. That makes it look weird.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a start.
May I advise to try to blend the flares more with the body itself instead of making the flares a sudden protrusion. That makes it look weird.
You may advise!
Thank you!
When I get my wheels and tires in the next week or so I will start the real flare mold with better smooth tapering and clean smooth lines.
I'll keep everyone updates and post picks for critique before I glass anything.
Thanks for the input good sir!

·
Registered
326 Posts
This is a start.
He does make a point. If you just want 10" wide I don't think you need to go that wide. I do like where this is going, I'm just too lazy to do one myself and finish through. Plus it doesn't help that I only drive my WRX right now. I do love custom work though. ^^

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He does make a point. If you just want 10" wide I don't think you need to go that wide. I do like where this is going, I'm just too lazy to do one myself and finish through. Plus it doesn't help that I only drive my WRX right now. I do love custom work though. ^^
this very quick mock up was 2.5 inches wider than stock.
I think it's going to end up more like 2" wider than stock.
I'd like these to work for 265-295 tires with proper wheel offsets.

I'm going to order my wheels tomorrow or Tuesday.
I'll keep this updated when I start up the real deal with actual wheels and tires to mate up to.
Im leaning towards doing 18x10 +25 with 285/35 tires. This set up should be about 2.4 inches wider than stock. So a 2" flare should snug right at the outer edge of the tires.

Thanks for the input!
It is very appreciated!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just get the fenders/rear door scanned or laser tracked...
I can take care of that, do the 3d modeling, and design the molds if you guys want to pay for the mold machining. Expensive but turns out perfect parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
I see where this is going and I understand the concept. My only question is why not do a fender/bumper swap? I've seen the other member on here that had a 08 narrow body from canada who converted his to a STI widebody... just a thought.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I see where this is going and I understand the concept. My only question is why not do a fender/bumper swap? I've seen the other member on here that had a 08 narrow body from canada who converted his to a STI widebody... just a thought.
I think that cost and downtime would be much greater.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
I mean I've seen the flares on the +06 STI's and up, but they weren't extreme flares.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I mean I've seen the flares on the +06 STI's and up, but they weren't extreme flares.
Yea me too. But they have kits for them too. This project is great because I love DIYs. On the other hand I also think it's a bit extreme lol. 18x9.5 with 265 is a lot of meat for a street car lol. Roll and pull and you're set. I might be trading my car for a Hatch Widebody myself or just get a Crosstek lol.

Once this is said and done i hope it looks sick. He's already got interest from sponsors for this project lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

I reworked the rear fender flares to be slightly more narrow as the rear fenders are slightly wider than the front.
Also worked the transition of the back of the flare in this pic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts