Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally broke down and ordered the BC coilovers today cause my blown struts are starting to clunk a little too much for me. anyone have these already? ill post up some pics and a review in a few days when i get them 8)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im excited. when did you blow your struts?!

and when did you install all those whiteline goodies?

any thoughts on the steering rack bushings, swaybars, subframe bushings, and wtf is a swaybar brace?!
lol glad you excited too ;D alright, now lets see. . . i blew my struts around 9k on the car, now im at 17k. i originally upgraded my obs springs to wrx springs, than to pinks, than to cobbs. they have been blown for a while now and i just dont want to spend 600 on koni's when i can spend 1000 on full coilovers with a good lifetime replacement program. i installed the whiteline goodies one at a time basically. i did the steering rack bushings first, they were a nice addition. than i upgraded to a factory wrx rear sway bar, barely noticed it. put on the whiteline sway bar brace (http://www.harmanmotive.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_452_460_504&products_id=2292) hoping they would help, they made a small difference. they basically bolt on the bottom of your sway bar bushing bracket than to the body cause if you look how your sway bar is mounted, its just two metal tabs off the subframe, so these are supposed to strengthen it. i did the sway bars and the rear subframe bushings at the same time, obviously those two made the biggest difference of them all. definately a quality upgrade. i have a front strut brace too which i believe made a nice improvement in steering as well, some people say they arent worth it but i like mine. got a couple more things to get after the coilovers than it should handle like a beast ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Koni released their shocks already? Got a link? (Hope they have for STi)

·
Registered
333 Posts
im doing my suspension soon. Hopefully header/cat project will be finally over on thursday.

so lurker any thoughts on a rear strut brace? think its too much of a pain?

and did you install all this yourself? how hard were the steering bushings to install?

I figure the sway bar braces were fairly easy to install, but what about the subframe bushings? where they worth it?

thanks for the info i never noticed you had done so much!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol well thanks for noicing. um. . the koni's arent out they, they said tentative release date of winter 2008, but judging by the legacy gt prices im assuming the wrx will be similar to them. iv consider a rear strut brace, but since the back of the car has the floor of the trunk and isnt completely open like the engine bay, i think it has enough support for right now, maybe later down the line ill add one on. should be a super easy install though. if you pull out your trunk mat you'll see on the right and left hand side are two little covers that pop off. those give access to the rear strut bolts. so installtion on that bar should be simple as that. im a mechanic so i did all the installs myself. nothing has been hard. the rack bushings were easy on a lift, but i can imagine they would be a huge pain in the ass doing it on the ground in your driveway. the rear subframe bushings, easy as well on a lift, probably impossible to do on the ground in your drive way. you have to lower the whole subframe about 3-4" to get enough room to slide the poly inserts in. not a tough job, but probably super hard at home. as with any poly bushing install, make sure to use plenty of poly bushing lube (should be supplied with bushings) so they dont squeak later on. the rack bushings 100% require an alignment after install, and the rear subframe bushings more than likely require an alignment after install, so my reccomendation is to install both of them at the same time so you only have to get it aligned once. the steering rack bushing made the steering more responsive and more presice. definately a worth while upgrade. the rear subframe bushings i installed the same time as the sway bars, so its hard to say exactly what they did, but the car just feels solid in the back end, no slop at all. for the prices of both of them, you really cant go wrong

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
so i finally broke down and ordered the BC coilovers today cause my blown struts are starting to clunk a little too much for me. anyone have these already? ill post up some pics and a review in a few days when i get them 8)
Yo dude...I'm on BC V1 series. Been using it on mitsubishi & scooby cars for last 3 years. Trusthworthy coils - good enough for street & track

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The bar is very easy to install. the hardest part was cutting the cover so you can still use it. The left side is cardboard but the right is metal.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yo dude...I'm on BC V1 series. Been using it on mitsubishi & scooby cars for last 3 years. Trusthworthy coils - good enough for street & track
sweet i was hoping to hear something like that. should be here by thursday ;D

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
sweet i was hoping to hear something like that. should be here by thursday ;D
Congrats man. Take note that it's more of stiff side...good for me, but pax may not be happy hehe 8)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sick!!!! got them in the mail today!!! ;D ill take pictures and post reviews tomorrow hopefully. question for you coilover people, where should i start on the damping? i was plannin on putting them in the middle of the adjustment range front and rear only cause i wasnt sure what to do, but if anyone has a better starting point that would be great

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Dude, did u get the V1 or BR series?

BC coils should have 32 damping settings. I'm on 12/12 front & rear. Resonable stiffness & comfort for daily drive, yet good enough to sweep corners, etc

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got the BR's. are they the better ones of the two? overall fit and finish and quality look to be great out of the box, thanks for the adjustments start point. how will running the front or rear stiffer than the other affect my handling? i like oversteer so if there is a way to get a tad amount of oversteer id like that settting :)

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
i got the BR's. are they the better ones of the two? overall fit and finish and quality look to be great out of the box, thanks for the adjustments start point. how will running the front or rear stiffer than the other affect my handling? i like oversteer so if there is a way to get a tad amount of oversteer id like that settting :)
BR is an improvement of V1 series. Definitely more comfy than V1.

Whether to set the front or rear stiffer depends on your setup. U need to know weight distribution in your ride as well. For my previous ride, I removed rear wiper & motor, rear seats, etc. Then really stiffen up rear with rear strut bars, anti roll car, etc. In essence, my rear was really much lighter than front (cos with driver's weight, engine's weight, etc). I set up rear to be less stiff than front ;D

I tried above set up with front & rear similarly stiff. I tackled a winding sweeping right corner at 120km/hr.....rear swung to the left!!!! My balls went up to my throat!!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol i bet it did. alright, ill start off with equal stiffness to begin and tweak from there. hopefully ill be putting them on today as long as w arent too busy at work. sucks its supposed to rain for the next 4 days though so i wont really be able to rip it

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sweet!!!! got them all put on today. i got less than a finger gap between the tire and wheel well front and rear, it looks sweet. i got the adjustments right in the middle for now. got alot of rain here for the next few days so i wont be able to give a full report til like monday, but first impressions make me very happy : )

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i will. i put them on last night, but about 60 miles on them just to get a small break in so i can do a full height adjustment and get a proper alignment today. so as soon as it stops raining im going to go kick the crap out of my car and give a full report ;D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
finally got some nice weather around here, ill put up a full review and pics later today ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi guys just got my BC V1 coilover yesterday.Current setting was 25/20 fron and rear.It's so bouncy..Its is normal?And also i m very confused due to the decision i made.BC V1 better or BC BR better.I m more into street racing.Can anyone advice?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts