Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
that seems like a really useless product. it just decreases the amount of useful travel of the pedal. usually you want a pedal with a long travel for the best throttle control, this just gets rid of that. and ECO mode? what a joke. ???

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
our car is on the list, and some people may want the eco mode. It makes the pedal more sensative you can't tell me you like the drive by wire the r/t is horrible on it, anything to benefit it would please me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
our car is on the list, and some people may want the eco mode. It makes the pedal more sensative you can't tell me you like the drive by wire the r/t is horrible on it, anything to benefit it would please me.
my issue with the thing is that from 70% throttle and up, your throttle body is basically 100% open, which is horrible for any type of racing (excluding drag of course... and even then with high hp cars - mostly 2wd - you need more pedal control so it's bad for that too). if you're full throttle through a corner and you're pushing wide, you have to back off from 100% to 50% or less throttle to get any reduction of power. the useful travel of the pedal is greatly reduced by the thing. the whole product just doesn't make sense. the only thing it does is control the feel of the throttle (and makes its usefulness significantly worse). if you want better "response", mash on the pedal more because that's all this thing does. from what i read, this doesn't improve the response of the drive by wire, it just manipulates the signal the drive by wire is sending so that the ecu thinks you're at a different pedal position than you are.

the reason i said eco mode is a joke is because changing pedal response will never give you better gas mileage. unless it limits you to 10% throttle or something. to get better gas mileage, just don't have a lead foot.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hmmm very good points i see your take on it now

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
From how I understand this system working from a contact with Blitz is that the ECO mode reduces the number of accelerator positions throughout the band. For example normally at 20% throttle position you will be at 20% throttle. moving up to 25% position, the throttle will still be at 20% hence giving the feeling of throttle response being insensitive. This was supposed to save gas for those people with heavier feet as stated previously, this is the only way to really save gas. But this was a solution to heavy footed individuals)
ECO- Similar to I - mode in SI drive LGT and STi
Normal mode acts in the same way, but with double the throttle position inputs.
Sharp mode doubles this further giving almost instantaneous throttle response in accordance to throttle position.
There is still no substitute for a cable with an infinite amount of positions but this is the way the electronics work.
At 100% throttle is the only way to get to 100% open for all of these. It does not open the throttle sooner, just has more input points.
Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts