957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mod list :
2010 WRX Sedan
Invidia catless
Invidia N1
K&N Typhoon intake
Kartboy bushings and short shift

I wasn't after time-breaking numbers, as my roommate (180 pounds) was with me throughout the night, and i had maybe another 50 pounds of junk in the trunk (jackstands, jack, tools...). I was mostly there to have a good time and try drag racing (im new to drags!)

First pass : VS 2010 STI Stage 1 + intake
60FT:2.605
330FT:6.445
1/8:80.09MPh
1000FT:12.234
1/4: 14.491 @ 100.60

I bogged badly :( But its not that bad for a first try!

Second Pass : VS Civic SI, full bolt-ons
60FT:2.302
330FT:6.054
1/8:80.72MPH
1000FT:11.784
1/4: 14.002 @ 102.01MPH

that civic was rather impressive, he came in 0.2 after me, in a NA civic!

Third Pass : VS Infinity g35
60FT:2.118
330FT:5.789
1/8:80.48MPH
1000FT:11.474
1/4: 13.715 @ 101.08 !

Best pass of the night, but i feel my launch wasn't good enough. I can get this much lower.

Fourth Pass : VS 2009 WRX, stock
60FT:2.379
330FT:6.096
1/8:82.18
1000FT:11.698
1/4: 13.880 @ 104.04

Fifth Pass : VS JDM Skyline GT 1990
60FT:2.253
330FT:5.974
1/8:79.44MPH
1000FT:11.730
1/4: 13.967 @ 101.63

Launched too hard, ended up redlining because i spun tires : / But results were spectacular for the crowd!

Bottom line, i need to learn to launch, as i usually baby my car. Decided to go loose on the last 3 passes, but none of them were quite right. Also my reaction time was rather crappy (0.6 average). I know my car can get in the 12's and i intend to make it next month, once my coilovers and new rims / tires are on!

no tell me forums : what RPMs do you launch at? do you use LC / FFS? How could i improve my game without wrecking my clutch and head gasket?

Thank you for reading !

·
Registered
941 Posts
First pass : 2010 STI Stage 1 + intake
Second Pass : Civic SI, full bolt-ons
Third Pass : Infinity g35
Fourth Pass : 2009 WRX, stock
Fifth Pass : JDM Skyline GT 1990
Are you listing the car you ran against? I was very confused for a minute, but I think that's what you did. Not sure why, because you don't post their times or even if they were faster or slower than you. For a minute I thought you drove a bunch of different cars. LOL.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol sorry, i was just listing who i ran against. I raced in my 2010 WRX, my mod list is at the top of the post. i can post their time if people are curious, but i ran faster than each on all my passes (by a few miliseconds on some...)

guess i should edit that

edit : done, should be a tad clearer

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm surprised you aren't in at least the low 13's with a stage2 2010 wrx. Your 60 times could be alot lower though and it looks like that's part of whats hurting you (you could get def get below 2, but hopefully some new tires takes care of that). What also is concerning me is your speed in the later half, you usualy get up to about 80 in the 1/8th which isnt bad (will be better with a better 60ft), but what rpms are you shifting at? Have you done any datalogging?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well remember he said he had an extra 200 lb passenger in the car, and then some extra weight in the back.

To MMR: Great to see people getting out to the track! Keep learning and keep on trucking brotha!

As a concern though, I dont think you were spinning your tires and hitting redline, you probably were just spinning your clutch (also draws equal if not more reaction from the crowd). It will make you think your spinning tires to a newer track-goer.

Id say be on the look out because you'll glaze over and eat a stock clutch up in a single night doing that. Most likely you had revved the car too high up before you feathered the clutch causing the clutch to never be able to catch. A quick tip to help fix that (And increase launches) go up there and launch low, 2k and increase it each run as you get comfortable with that engagement point, helps you learn and easier on the clutch in the process!

You'll be able to hit sub 2.0 60's after 1 solid night of learning, and eventually crawl your way down into the 1.6-1.7's. This will drastically increase your 1/8th's and 1/4 times.

Look forward to seeing updates man!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice sylent!

I agre my launches were probably pretty bad, as i don't really race usually and just baby my car. I'm heading back in a few weeks once i got my new wheels and coilovers on, that time ill leave the roommate on the spectator bench and empty the car + emergency wheel to see how low i can get (thats over 200 pounds of weight reduction).

On the topic of the clutch spin, it is probably what happened. it only did that once, and my other launches were mostly bogging down, i was trying to launch at 3k steady (sounds like a reasonable RPM to do it) but i cant seem to get my clutch to catch (im feathering it, then releasing and going wot). My pedal timing could very well be off, like i said, i never really do that (although i do want to learn!).

Look for updates after next upgrades! All the parts are in, i just need my buddy's driveway xD

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey if it were that easy everyone would be going out busting 12's ;P

Just keep at it and dont get discouraged. And stop hauling your fatty friends down that track hah!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually he hauled me there, wouldn't have went in the first place if he wasn't there, but he got me hooked! haha

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm surprised you aren't in at least the low 13's with a stage2 2010 wrx. Your 60 times could be alot lower though and it looks like that's part of whats hurting you (you could get def get below 2, but hopefully some new tires takes care of that). What also is concerning me is your speed in the later half, you usualy get up to about 80 in the 1/8th which isnt bad (will be better with a better 60ft), but what rpms are you shifting at? Have you done any datalogging?
i haven't done any datalogging, but i am getting eric to look over the logs in intend to produce this weekend, because i seem to bog a bit when i start rolling (not racing), and during shifts.

I generally shift around 6k RPMs. As i pointed out, my launches were horrible and are probably a good part opf whats keeping me back. Also my reaction time was poor (between 0.4 and 0.8 , wich isnt good at all (was kinda tired and mostly looking at a first track experience) Next time i plan on getting good results, this time i was only after a taste of the track.

If you have any pointers i could use them for sure!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think it just comes down to practice. Logging will surely help you find the best point to shift at and finding that sweet spot where teh clutch engages will make those 60 times much better. Next time grab some slips and possibly a video =]

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have all the slips, i can possibly post them up tonight, when i get home. And great idea on the logging, each car is different, so what works for you might not work for me :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Exactly. Doing some logging will show you pretty definitively where you are making peak power and when shiftinf is optimal so it's your best bet (right behind getting dynoed :) ).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you have an AcessPort? If so, use launch control and flat-foot shift. I just went to Napierville today (Wednesday) and clicked off my first ever 12s!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No AP, im tuned opensource by eric @ TP, so i guess no lc /ffs

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice job MMR.

I havent made it to the track yet. Im still getting a vibrating/weird noise at WOT on Boost so i dunno if its a good idea to go to the track. Im only TP stg 1 (AP), txs cbe, tyhoon SRI.

have they figured out how to use launch control on the 09' WRX? I know my buddies 10' he can do it but cobb was still working on the 09'. I think they figured it out but is there a write up on it anywhere?

LOL my tires are so bald they are like slicks O well, just summers

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MMR Drag Log - Napierville Raceway

20/07/11

Best time for the night:

reaction : 0.259
60 FT: 1.924
1/4: 13.164 @ 103.96

1/8 time and speed was unavailable for some reason. Also the weather was quite hot : 86F and humidity was quite high (even after the sun was down). i tried to keep my IC temps lower between runs by popping the hood :) Next time I'm going to bring some ice

it seems like my 60ft improved drastically (2.2-ish to 1.9-ish). I seem to no longer bog at the launch, but the track was poorly prepped (we were like 8 racing that night, place was a graveyard lol), and i spun tires (for real this time!). I managed to no cook the clutch as badly as last time. Overall i've gotten much better, but i still have ways to go to break into the 12's!

Also, unrelarted, but that best time was against a 2002 STI swapped with a GT35 turbo, and tons of bolt-ons. he wondered how the heck i was keeping up with him, cause it was really tight :) But i think everybody did subpar times because of the weather, even at 9:30 pm it was still hot with barely a breeze

1 - 16 of 16 Posts