Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm reading around and some people are saying to go slow with the mods, seeing as how the 08 wrx are fairly new. Well, this is my first subaru, and i am going to be getting a short throw shifter. question is, should i get kartboy or cobb? i'm also thinking about getting the cobb lowering springs, and i want to know if its worth the 250. I also want to make the car louder, but not too much. I'm assuming thats an exhaust system, but i'm hearing catback and downpipe and uppipe, and its a bit confusing. I basically want to make it a little noisier without having to void my warranty. last i want to get gold rims, but i don't know where to start, which to get and if it'll fit my tires. I don't want to shell out more than 500 for it. I saw some from enkei for 250 or so. oh and i forgot to say, i have an 08 wrb hatch wrx

·
Registered
327 Posts
So i'm reading around and some people are saying to go slow with the mods, seeing as how the 08 wrx are fairly new. Well, this is my first subaru, and i am going to be getting a short throw shifter. question is, should i get kartboy or cobb? i'm also thinking about getting the cobb lowering springs, and i want to know if its worth the 250. I also want to make the car louder, but not too much. I'm assuming thats an exhaust system, but i'm hearing catback and downpipe and uppipe, and its a bit confusing. I basically want to make it a little noisier without having to void my warranty. last i want to get gold rims, but i don't know where to start, which to get and if it'll fit my tires. I don't want to shell out more than 500 for it. I saw some from enkei for 250 or so. oh and i forgot to say, i have an 08 wrb hatch wrx
I'll try to answer some of those questions. Research the shifters(there are a few topics here on them) and I think you'll find both have their pros and cons, it's up to personal preference on which one you get. Along with I'm sure they are differently priced. I can't answer the springs question, I haven't done any research. As far as louder and not void your warranty at all, then SPT FTW. Subaru just released the SPT catback exhaust for sedans and hatch's. $330 and you keep your warranty, get a little of that boxer rumble, and you won't sound like rice. You can go SPT catback w/o a tune. However, if you do downpipe and uppipe, you will have to have a tune. I believe the downpipe would be right after the turbo and the uppipe is after that. Not positive, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Just make sure you research whatever you get, otherwise you will end up unhappy. As far as rims you might check out tirerack.com. They seem to have some decent rims at decent prices. That's probably where I'll go, at least for new tires.(They can ship to an installer 10 minutes away from me)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Check out SubyDude.com for some shoes if you want. He usually has good prices. Our bolt patter is 5x100 just in case. I have the Cobb Springs 1.50" Front/1.25"Rear) and love them, some people don't cuz it lowers the car more that any other spring out there. You also can choose from SWIFT or the Pink STi. SWIFT has the smallest drop of all (.75" all around) I believe the STi springs are between both. All the rides from what I hear are nice, you will notice a difference 4 sure. You want loud without voiding, Sleeping has it right. Cat-Back exhaust 4 sure them. Leave the Downpipe alone.

Enjoy Yourself!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
To keep flodding you with info:

I really like my Kartboy, i got the full set up(rod, knob, front bushings and rear bushings)

SPT is they way to go if you dont want to void anything but get better sound.

Always research before you buy.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Check out SubyDude.com for some shoes if you want. He usually has good prices. Our bolt patter is 5x100 just in case. I have the Cobb Springs 1.50" Front/1.25"Rear) and love them, some people don't cuz it lowers the car more that any other spring out there. You also can choose from SWIFT or the Pink STi. SWIFT has the smallest drop of all (.75" all around) I believe the STi springs are between both. All the rides from what I hear are nice, you will notice a difference 4 sure. You want loud without voiding, Sleeping has it right. Cat-Back exhaust 4 sure them. Leave the Downpipe alone.

Enjoy Yourself!
STI Pinks are less of a drop than Swifts. Just so there's no confusion.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
you can get can get a sick set of rotas for like 600, remeber though your going to want to spend 500 or so on tires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I apologize I misinformed you. The "up-pipe" is the section of piping from exhaust header to exhaust inlet side of the turbo. The "down-pipe" is the section of piping from the exhaust discharge side of the turbo to the cat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my car is fairly new, and i have the 17' alloy wheels with it, i want to get gold sti rims, do i have to get new tires with that?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sti rims wont fit your wrx, you can get the 04 sti(i think its the 04) bbs rims they fit.

As far as tires go, your stock tires are horible, worst oem tires ever, so yes if you want to put the sti rims on get new tires as well. check out wheeldude.com they have a ton of wheels for the wrx and in a few colors, even gold, for real cheap.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Personally I've always been a fan of Tanabe. I had Tanabe Springs and Exhaust and other suspension mods. They are currently looking for a test car out west and I know at a minimum they will do Exhaust and Springs. Strutbar and Underbody Brace may or may not come. I've heard Mixed reviews about the Cobb springs, I'm still kinda unsure myself. Cobb Makes good quality stuff It could be time to step away from Tanabe mainly because it'll be a while before they come out with anything....There's no point to this reply..I think i'm just rabbling because it's 4AM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sti rims wont fit your wrx, you can get the 04 sti(i think its the 04) bbs rims they fit.

As far as tires go, your stock tires are horible, worst oem tires ever, so yes if you want to put the sti rims on get new tires as well. check out wheeldude.com they have a ton of wheels for the wrx and in a few colors, even gold, for real cheap.
so i bought the sti springs that lowers the car 10mm, i want to get 18" rims for wheel dude, do i "have" to get new tires? and do i need anything else? alignment or stuff?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
if you get 18's you will definetely have to get new rubber because 17's came with the car. the stock rubber is junk and that was the first thing i changed out. if you have the sti springs on order then, IMO, you should get front and rear sways with end links and you will be happy with the way the car handles.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

so i bought the sti springs that lowers the car 10mm, i want to get 18" rims for wheel dude, do i "have" to get new tires? and do i need anything else? alignment or stuff?
Anytime you change springs you should get an alignment. New tires are a must if your going to get 18s. I also recomend doing a rear sway with endlinks since your doing the springs and rims/tires an extra 200 bucks isnt that much more. IMO

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I got an alignment with my new pinks yesterday. It was verrrrrry close to being straight. Totally worth doing just for piece of mind if nothing else.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got an alignment with my new pinks yesterday. It was verrrrrry close to being straight. Totally worth doing just for piece of mind if nothing else.
Who did your alignment? How much does one cost? I remember a while back that certain chains offered free lifetime alignments. Do any still offer that?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I did it at Big Brand because I have a 10% card for life and they had a 10% off sale. It ended up being just under $70

1 - 16 of 16 Posts