Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1750Km i did the first oil change of the car today, the oil was quite black and the filter was a pain to unscrew, seriously it was really tight and the angle to reach it with tools is quite bad... and i was burning myself on the " still hot and very on the way " exhaust manifold

The rest was pretty easy, its suck to have to removed the diffuser to reach the filter (there is actualy a whole in the plastic to reach the oil pan bolt !?! but nothing for the filter)

anyway manual said 4.0L i put almost a complete 4.4L of Mobil 1 5w30 and its seems alright, i will recheck tomorow morning
For the filter, i got it from the dealer, it was white with a different part number and the Black on that was on the car...

in the manual they do list then both, do somebody have a idea why there is two different filter for the car ? is there a STI filter out there

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 3.2 Km drive from my home to work, take exactly 7min depending on the light

when i go to my father's garage to work on the car its 20km drive to go and another 20km to come back

everything in the city is not more than a 5km drive from the center where i am

so thats about it :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Its a 3.2 Km drive from my home to work, take exactly 7min depending on the light

when i go to my father's garage to work on the car its 20km drive to go and another 20km to come back

everything in the city is not more than a 5km drive from the center where i am

so thats about it :)
nice... it takes 30+ km to work and aother 30km back... quite alot of distance to cover considering singapore is only 40km across.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah, there are two different filters fr whatever reason. I have a the replacement black ones, not sure what the difference is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased a bulk pack of filters online and they were all black. I am looking forward to my first oil change as it appears Subaru makes it quite a feat!

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm changin my oil right now, i'm taking a break beacuse I cannot get the danm oil filter off!
Taking the underbody plastic peice off is a pain too. My arm hurts from yankin on the filter...my filter wrench is too big for this filter and
I cannot get any tools in there to get the danm thing off!
man i'm pissed!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the plactic underguard was quite easy to removed i think, but yea the filter was really hard to remove, i to use a big pair of vicegrip, when i was done the tip of the filter was quite dented, the space was really tight around it.... next time should be better

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is there room to get the cap-style filter wrench on there, and then turn it with a ratchet (maybe on an extension, maybe with a u-joint)?

I haven't yet been under my car.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Is there room to get the cap-style filter wrench on there, and then turn it with a ratchet (maybe on an extension, maybe with a u-joint)?

Yeah, Cap-style will work if you have the right size. I however could not find the right size, so I bought a universal one:

·
Registered
13 Posts

i used a small oilfilter wrench attached to a ratchet and extension, no problem just becarefull cause its a tight space and if u turn the wrench to much it can get stuck, trust me i learned the hard way

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know I'm late to this one, but I used a filter wrench that is a strap attached to a metal bar (you wrap the strap around the filter and you twist it tight by rolling the bar into it) . The bottom end of the bar (handle) has a cut-out that the ratchet fits into. The bar faces down so you can easily turn it with the ratchet. It bent the filter, but it got it off quite easily. I replaced the factory filter with a K&N. They have a one inch nut on the bottom for easy removal. I've used the K&N on my wife's 2002 WRX for a long time (101,000 miles). The oil is still amber colored when I change it at 3700. Hope this helps!

Stephen

·
Registered
75 Posts
1750Km i did the first oil change of the car today, the oil was quite black and the filter was a pain to unscrew, seriously it was really tight and the angle to reach it with tools is quite bad... and i was burning myself on the " still hot and very on the way " exhaust manifold

The rest was pretty easy, its suck to have to removed the diffuser to reach the filter (there is actualy a whole in the plastic to reach the oil pan bolt !?! but nothing for the filter)

anyway manual said 4.0L i put almost a complete 4.4L of Mobil 1 5w30 and its seems alright, i will recheck tomorow morning
For the filter, i got it from the dealer, it was white with a different part number and the Black on that was on the car...

in the manual they do list then both, do somebody have a idea why there is two different filter for the car ? is there a STI filter out there

I read somewhere I can't recall that there is a filter you use after installing an oil pressure or temp gauge.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll post on this topic as I just performed this as well.

Difficulty 1/10 (it is an oil change after all)
PITA Scale 7/10

Ratioanl: The owners manual incorrectly pictured the plastic air dam on my WRX 5 door.. There really are not multiple holes in it so that threw me off to begin with. That being the case, I just went ahead and removed the plastic air dam. This wasn't hard, but the fact I had to put my car on jack stands so I could fit underneath it enough to undo the sever screws and 4 clips sucked. Once the air dam was off it was easy sailing. Drain plug was no issue and I had no problems with the filter. It was on their pretty dammed tight, but with a proper oil filter wrench this isn't as big a deal. But, you HAVE to have a proper oil filter wrench or you'll go crazy with rage.

Compared to my Scion tC, the filter is MUCH easier to get to and remove.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow, you guys are having lots of trouble removing your oil filter. I used a filter wrench that is "pliers" style (for lack of a better description)... just reached up there at a bit of an angle, clamped it onto the filter (slightly crusing it, for grip), and turned. Then removed it by hand. Came off easily. I put the new one on hand-tight.

I did my first change at 2000 miles (with Castrol 5W30), and will do the next one at 5000, and switch to Mobil 1.

Rob

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a filter wrench to fit the Purolator One (my fav) filter that I bought while I was at the parts store.. and it was too small for the OEM filter. :( I had a lot of fun getting that thing off by hand. :mad:

That was the second time I'd taken the splash guard off. Once you realize that there are only two 12mm bolts and two plastic pop rivets and two clips, it's easy to R&R... but when you spend a few minutes looking for extra fasteners and not finding them, it's frustrating. On my miata I'm really bad about removing the splash guard before realizing that the engine sits so far back.. it doesn't cover up the oil pan or filter. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'll post on this topic as I just performed this as well.

Difficulty 1/10 (it is an oil change after all)
PITA Scale 7/10

Ratioanl: The owners manual incorrectly pictured the plastic air dam on my WRX 5 door.. There really are not multiple holes in it so that threw me off to begin with. That being the case, I just went ahead and removed the plastic air dam. This wasn't hard, but the fact I had to put my car on jack stands so I could fit underneath it enough to undo the sever screws and 4 clips sucked. Once the air dam was off it was easy sailing. Drain plug was no issue and I had no problems with the filter. It was on their pretty dammed tight, but with a proper oil filter wrench this isn't as big a deal. But, you HAVE to have a proper oil filter wrench or you'll go crazy with rage.

Compared to my Scion tC, the filter is MUCH easier to get to and remove.

can you recommend what is the proper oil filter wrench for our cars? i just got my car but want to do my own oil change when the time comes.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I've had good luck with the socket style filter wrenches in my WRX. Fits in there easily and allows you to get nice leverage if it's tight.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I purchased extended warantee, does the dealer call you for oil change or what? and at what intervals should the oil be changed? My brother has an 08 wrx premium, I believe he has 6000 miles and I don't believe he has changed his oil since he bought the car. I don't really speak with him often but I have been really trying to get on him about that...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts