Subaru WRX Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea.. stage 2 is the goal but being that i just got my car, i think its gonna b a couple months before i take that route... im gonna enjoy the stock engine for a bit so when i do upgrade it'll b a brand new car.

·
Registered
802 Posts
For starters, I suggest a DP & Open Source Stage 2 tune (Torqued Performance) followed by chassis/suspension bushings & thicker sways. The intake won't net you any additional power until you're Stage 2 and beyond.
OS tuning costs less than half what an AP costs - $180 new for a Tactrix 2.0 cable and around $100 for the tune. The tuning/logging software is free, and most people have a laptop or netbook around the house.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont think this is a highjack since its related but i was recently told that i should look at headers and up pipe or water and alcohol/methenol injection before i go CIA. i already have a turbo back exhaust and AP stage 2 tune. has any one else been told to hold off on a CIA
(i only bring it up because i want more power now and King mentioned waiting on a CIA)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ballpark figures...take these with a grain of salt:
- Meth injection should net you around 20 hp depending upon how aggressive you want to get with your tune.
- A good EL header & upipe will net you quicker spool & maybe 15 hp in the mid-to-upper rpm range.
- A CAI will net you maybe 10 hp or so once you have your exhaust flowing freely. This is assuming you're on the stock turbo. Once you're moving more air (bigger turbo), the benefits of a CAI become more significant.

* All these items require a retune to maximize results.

YMMV due to your tune, fuel octane & quality, regional temps & elevation as well as a few other factors.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Since we are on first mods, any suggestions for getting the signature scubie exhaust sound for replacing the stock 08 WRX sedan? Not wanting raspy or ridiculous amount of power gains just yet.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
ive had the borla catback on my 08 for about 4 years now. sounds great and quality is top notch. it still looks like new today even. ive since gone el headers so my rumble is gone but more power and less annoying drone are better now anyway!

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Nice!! Ya I've been reading the equal vs unequal header in some of the buildups. I'm not quite at that stage for awhile. How do you like the Perrin products? I've been tossing between them and Invidia

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Nice!! Ya I've been reading the equal vs unequal header in some of the buildups. I'm not quite at that stage for awhile. How do you like the Perrin products? I've been tossing between them and Invidia
the perrin products are ok. ive had a few fitment and quality issues in the last few years. i got most of my perrin stuff on good discounts that were offered by them a few years ago. i think my tmic was 33% off! you wont see that anymore. i had some issues with the fitment of the tmic. also had a screw seize and break in my perrin maf housing. the downpipe has been fine though, no issues to speak of.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Good advice much appreciated! I guess I'm just have no idea where to start on my 08. Do I go for sound or tune first is my biggest starter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: STEP 1: The Intake Trick - K&N Typhoon kit
Long time lurker, first time poster. Been a Subaru owner for a couple years, but just got my first (2016 Premium) WRX. I'm considering the K&N mod, but I have seen many say a tune is needed, and many say it is not with this mod. I noticed you didn't mention a tune after this mod and prior to your exhaust mod, and considerable gain from this mod alone. Will a tune (new map on the ECM) be necessary? I am not in a state where emissions testing will get in the way. I have read this mod will lean out the fuel mix considerably so I want to prepare to also purchase Cobb or other tuning tool/software if needed before making this 1st mod. Thoughts anyone?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts