Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got tuned by Clark Turner last weekend, and he just released maps based off of my car. Here is what he says:

New maps released!
08WRX bolt on turbo maps are now available. VF40 and 46 turbos using stock injectors. These maps make huge power with this turbo and run smooth. The throttle and cams are remapped. I am getting STI+ power out of this setup.
08WRX STG1 and 2 are released and updated to latest spec.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516351&highlight=clark+turner

My mods are VF40 (2005 LGT), Perrin TMIC, 3" Turboback exhaust, AVO intake.

I'll leave it up to debate :) And my car pulls HARD :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So you're happy with your choice to go with the LGT turbo then? If I upgrade turbos I would prefer to keep it pretty mild simply so I don't have to shell out so much on supporting mods, so this looks like a nice alternative. I do have one question though. How much did the upgrade improve your top-end? With the stock turbo and tune the power tends to fall off around 5k, which is kind of annoying. What RPM does the VF40/46 run out of steam for you?
I am 100% happy with my choice. It's perfect since I didn't have to change out my plugs, injectors, fuel pump and all that jazz that goes with a turbo swap. The power holds steady to 6.5k, Clark raised the redline to 7k. Took quite a while to tune, but it was well worth it. There was no way he could've got the same power out of this if it was a OTS tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey newbie here and in need to upgrade my ride!!

i was looking at the topic you guys were discussing and i was wondering how much more power gain did you get with that vf 40 and where can i get one if anyone knows hit me up. my car is an 08 wrx and is at a stage 2 pushing 230 hp and 320 tq to the wheels tuned by GRD. i hope that someone can give me a hand thanks!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I went with a Clark Turner map and my car ran like junk. Had boost cut in 3rd gear WOT pulls. He said something was wrong with my BCS or I had something else wrong. But every other map I ran was perfectly fine. I wasted $150 on his map when I shoulda just went and got a road tune for that price by a tuner that I can trust around me.

I'm glad you got a good map from him but I can't say the same.

And he sent me about 3 different maps, all with the same results. Junk.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Re: hey newbie here and in need to upgrade my ride!!

i was looking at the topic you guys were discussing and i was wondering how much more power gain did you get with that vf 40 and where can i get one if anyone knows hit me up. my car is an 08 wrx and is at a stage 2 pushing 230 hp and 320 tq to the wheels tuned by GRD. i hope that someone can give me a hand thanks!!
A used VF40 can be found at LGT.com or sometimes on NASIOC or even on here.
Depending on the dyno, a VF40/46 can push 250WHP. However, on something like a dynojet, I witnessed a stage2+ VF40 LGT put down 276WHP.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I went with a Clark Turner map and my car ran like junk. Had boost cut in 3rd gear WOT pulls. He said something was wrong with my BCS or I had something else wrong. But every other map I ran was perfectly fine. I wasted 0 on his map when I shoulda just went and got a road tune for that price by a tuner that I can trust around me.

I've heard a fair mix of good and bad feedback regarding Clark Turner. Enough that I'd probably stay away, but not such that I would say he shouldn't be tuning. Maybe it's just the case that he isn't good at tuning remotely.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I went with a Clark Turner map and my car ran like junk. Had boost cut in 3rd gear WOT pulls. He said something was wrong with my BCS or I had something else wrong. But every other map I ran was perfectly fine. I wasted 0 on his map when I shoulda just went and got a road tune for that price by a tuner that I can trust around me.

I've heard a fair mix of good and bad feedback regarding Clark Turner. Enough that I'd probably stay away, but not such that I would say he shouldn't be tuning. Maybe it's just the case that he isn't good at tuning remotely.
I have to agree, i've heard good things about Clark and enough bad review about Clark that I would not take the chance, a bad tune can ruin my engine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I don't trust email tunes anyways. He road tuned the car in person.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

he tuned me at about 110 degrees, and this dyno was taken at 100 degrees in high elevation. He's tuning me again next week to try to get me at 275 WHP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts