Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so now it looks like Subaru is not going to put out an intake, so now I am having a he!! of a time deciding which intake I should purchase? All these intakes are great in their own respect; it is now just deciding which one. ***Side note, I am getting a DP and a Stage 2 Protune soon, and I wanted the CAI to be installed before I get that tune!!*** I realize that there are many other intakes, these are just the 5 that I have chosen:

Perrin $200
UR = $220 (I’d have to get the black finish)
AEM CAI = $260
AP CAI = $275
AP Short Ram = $235

I noticed that Perrin puts out a red and a black CAI.
In the 2 pictures below the MAF housing and filter looks different. Has anyone seen this before?

Perrin makes a great product but I am not wild about the oiled filter… My motorcycle uses an oiled air filter and they are kind a pain in the a$$ to get the right amount of oil on the filter and it can get messy. I think if I was driving more off road or Rally Cross an oiled filter would be a better option.

The UR CAI, I have heard nothing but good things about its performance.

AEM makes a great product also…

The AP CAI looks like a great part too

AP Short Ram I like the straight shot from the filter past the MAF

All 5 intakes have their “+” & “-“.
There seems to be 3 major differences, other than internal fins to help direct the air.
1. MAF is located before the bend
a. AEM
2. MAF is located after the bend
a. UR CAI
b. AP CAI
3. There is no bend.
a. AP Short Ram

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

How about other favorites and why?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why do you need an intake? The SPT one wasn't any good in the past, so why were people waiting for the new one? Have you already replaced all of your exhaust components or upgraded your turbo? As a general rule, don't bother replacing the intake on a turbocharged Subaru unless you're doing important supporting mods for a bigger turbo (like a FMIC) that don't work with the stock intake.

According to your signature, you aren't even "Stage 2" yet. An intake is just a waste of money and a source of headaches on a mostly stock car.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you need an intake? The SPT one wasn't any good in the past, so why were people waiting for the new one? Have you already replaced all of your exhaust components or upgraded your turbo? As a general rule, don't bother replacing the intake on a turbocharged Subaru unless you're doing important supporting mods for a bigger turbo (like a FMIC) that don't work with the stock intake.

According to your signature, you aren't even "Stage 2" yet. An intake is just a waste of money and a source of headaches on a mostly stock car.

I don't need an intake I want one. I want to hear the turbo, so it is purely for the vanity. I was waiting to see what SPT was going to do for a CAI, and they are putting out nothing so now I am moving on.

I did miss one thing and I will go back and correct it... in my little side note I neglected to put I am installing a DP too. I thought it was implied getting a stage 2 tune... Thank you for bringing that to my attention and I will make that adjustment. Now I am choosing not to run an OTS stage 2 map on my car. Knowing that I am getting a protune I might as well get the most out of the DP and CAI. Which is a lot more then most people are doing. Most people are installing a CAI and running it without a tune, that is a way to do it, IMO not the best way to go.

So adding CAI to a Stage 2 car and more importantly tuning for it... Where is the potential headache in that?

I am just trying to get peoples opinions on CAI's.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I am running my STi stage 1 with CAI but I did tune it myself :) (thanks to COBB for the tools)
91ACN oct 18.5 target boost afr 11.5 7krpm redline
Throttle map fine tuned, matched to MY05 mapping that I liked.
No problems whatsoever DAM 1 and my IATs drop super fast ;D
If done right, it can add some power along with vanity :)

But yeah no good if you plan on doing w/o a tune + plan on upgrading other things.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Oh yeah what about Harman which is same as the AEM w/o heatshield?
Injen's is also nice (I am running this one)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ HAHA... I was just going to ask you that...

AEM w/o heat sheild, what about heat soak?

I have only peaked at Injen's CAI... I will take a closer look.

What are your thoughts on the location on the MAF, before or after the bend?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

With a CAI heat soak doesn't really become as issue as you are sucking in air from the fender. The only disadvantage would be the bit of hot air that might be around the top part of the fender opening in the engine bay. Even then its not a big problem as heat rises, not sinks. You might get some warmer air but this will dissipate right when you start moving and th air in the fender cools quickly. The main purpose of the CAI is to decrease IATs as fast as possible and it does this job to a good degree with or without the shield. IMO, the shield looks alot better, and while a small diff in the IATs while at a standstill without one, it is still a difference.

Note: both of these differences are minute but still why not be informed right? Before the bend gets a more accurate total air reading since the air flow is straighter. After the bend, even with straighteners, there is a bit more turbulence however this provides a more accurate IAT reading into the turbo as it is not so close to the cold air source. Both of these differences can be accounted for in a good tune.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

With a CAI heat soak doesn't really become as issue as you are sucking in air from the fender. The only disadvantage would be the bit of hot air that might be around the top part of the fender opening in the engine bay. Even then its not a big problem as heat rises, not sinks. You might get some warmer air but this will dissipate right when you start moving and th air in the fender cools quickly. The main purpose of the CAI is to decrease IATs as fast as possible and it does this job to a good degree with or without the shield. IMO, the shield looks alot better, and while a small diff in the IATs while at a standstill without one, it is still a difference.

Note: both of these differences are minute but still why not be informed right? Before the bend gets a more accurate total air reading since the air flow is straighter. After the bend, even with straighteners, there is a bit more turbulence however this provides a more accurate IAT reading into the turbo as it is not so close to the cold air source. Both of these differences can be accounted for in a good tune.
I figured it was/is minute something that I was woundering about... I have noticed that some people have had issue with their MAF. That is one of the reasons why I was clumping mods together and then getting a tune... The guy that I am plannig to get my tune from just does amazing things with the ECU Thanks for the info, but I gotta tell ya the Yellow Sucks ;) ;D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Sorry about that and edited :)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So TougeMonster... What is your thoughs on the short ram intake?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Where did you hear that there was no SPT on the way?

My biggest concern with a CAI is that it will match up with a FMIC down the road when/if I do a turbo upgrade. For that reason, I'm probably just going to hold off on one because they are all way too expensive (I was hoping for a break on the SPT one) and some of the other points mentioned above.

FWIW, when you go stage 2 you'll definately hear your car more, especially if you go catless. Maybe give that a whirl and see if it doesn't give you what you're looking for along with a performance bump.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the link on the SPT CAI:

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=3994.0

My car is my daily driver and if I was going to do a turbo swap I would most likely go with the AVO 380 where I could use a TMIC and still get a generous 300whp+. Bottom line a swap is a looong way down the road for me and with a price tag of around $4,000 plus for the snail and supporting mods, I wouldn't worry about having to replace CAI.

I am in California, so I will go catted on my DP, but I am sure the sound will still be there... I am kinda going for the sleeper look, if you know what I mean ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have the UR cai and i have nothing but good things to say about it. never had a problem, never anything bad. sounds great, i can feel better pick up and throttle response. all the people that go on about not needing an intake its whatever, it all comes down to what YOU want. if you dont want to get it then dont, but that doesnt mean you have to try and bully others into thinking your same way. it sounds nice, it put out some noticable power/differences.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have the UR cai and i have nothing but good things to say about it. never had a problem, never anything bad. sounds great, i can feel better pick up and throttle response. all the people that go on about not needing an intake its whatever, it all comes down to what YOU want. if you dont want to get it then dont, but that doesnt mean you have to try and bully others into thinking your same way. it sounds nice, it put out some noticable power/differences.
Thanks for the input, the UR CAI is a great intake and I have heard nothing but good things about it. I am a firm believer that you do what you want with your car, but know the risks involved... No one will push me around and hopefully I am not coming across to aggressive.

a bit off topic, but the AEM can be had for just under 0 shipped, and I'm not talking ebay either.
^^^ Do you have a link?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is your car running this with a tune or with out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is rather disappointing news that there will not be a SPT CAI released. Sure, the money would be better of spent towards an AP, but I have Subaru Certificates that are only usable at dealerships.

Now I don't know what I'm going to spend them on.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Disappointing yeah, but man I would hate to have that problem ;)... Sounds like free stuff to me!!!! :) I don't know what mods you already have, but there has to be something you could spend it on! 8) CBE, Pinks, Roof rack... take a look at the catalog!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Already have the CBE installed (free as well :D). Would never use the roof rack. I've considered the pinks, but I'm in no hurry, so I'll look around a bit more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts