Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 707 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I just want to start off thanking a handful of key members that I talk to regularly, all of them being both supportive and helpful throughout my journey. I don't think I would have made it this far, or become this involved were it not for them. It is also the push of a few of those people for a build thread that this exists.

As with other people, I am starting this build thread, but will do it as a consolidation of my old progress threads that I never updated. So some of the posts will be from the past, but I wanted all my thoughts in one place so please bear with me :) . If any of this info helps just a single person in their mod path, then this thread will be worth it to me.

As a few select people know, my motor is on its way out and needs a rebuild. Cylinder 2 is leaking 80% so that is the latest on the car. I expected it to let go, but not so soon....hopefully I can get it built and retuned soon! Planning to get forged pistons, forged rods, ACL main and rod bearings, 11mm STI oil pump, and upgraded oil pickup.

Thanks for looking!

Larry

Mod List (Updated 10/11/2012):

Engine:
-Forman Performance built block w/
- Manley 2618 alloy forged pistons at 0.0025" PTW
- Eagle connecting rods
- ACL main and rod bearings
- Tomei 252 camshafts
- ARP headstuds
- 11mm STI oil pump
- Killer B ultimate oil pick up
- Killer B oil baffle
- Forman Performance custom rotated GTX3076R
- Forman Performance custom 73mm intake
- Forman Performance downpipe with Magnaflow cat
- Forman Performance rotated up pipe
- TiAL 44mm external wastegate (replumb)
- Perrin FMIC w/ Forman Performance custom piping
- Reversed '08 STI manifold
- 10mm phenolic spacers
- Cobb Accessport
- TGV deletes
- Air pump delete
- APS 50/50 BOV
- Prodrive EBCS
- Gruppe-S equal length header
- Invidia Q300 dual exhaust
- Aquamist HFS-3 50/50 water/methanol injection (1mm nozzle)
- Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
- Deatschwerks 1000cc injectors
- NGK 1 step colder spark plugs
- AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor
- Group N motor mounts
- Yimi Sport A/O separator
- Fumoto oil drain valve
- DEI titanium header wrap
- DEI turbo blanket
- DIY engine/alternator/TB ground
- Koyo radiator
- Zerosports thermostat
- Setrab 19 row Series 6 oil cooler with -10AN lines
- DIY radiator and oil cooler sprayer
- Mocal 200* thermostatic sandwich plate
- Samco hoses with T-bolt clamps
- GT Spec radiator cooling plate
- SPT battery tie down
- SPT oil cap
- Shorai LFX36L3 LiFePo4 battery
- Voltphreaks battery terminals

Transmission & drivetrain:
- ACT street disk/pressure plate
- ACT streetlite flywheel
- Kartboy 5MT short shifter
- Kartboy front/rear shifter bushings
- TiC pivot bushings
- TiC Transmission crossmember bushings
- Group N 5MT mount
- Torque Solutions pitch stop
- Whiteline rear differential mount inserts
- TSK3 snout repair kit

Braking:
- Stoptech ST-40 front BBK 328x28mm
- EBC Yellowstuff front and rear
- Stoptech SS brake lines
- Amsoil Series 600 DOT4
- Grimmspeed master cylinder brace
- Custom brake ducts*

Suspension:
- Whiteline 24mm front swaybar
- Whiteline 22mm rear swaybar
- Whiteline swaybar support brace
- RCE Tarmac 2 (7k/7k)
- GTWorx camber plates
- Cusco H brace
- Cusco front strut tower bar
- GTSpec rear strut tower bar
- Whiteline steering rack bushings
- Whiteline rear subframe inserts
- Whiteline roll center adjuster
- Whiteline front control arm bushing
- Whiteline rear trailing arm bushing

Alignment:
- -3* camber up front/-2* camber in the rear
- 0* toe all around
- Corner balanced with 50/50 cross-weight (3400 w/driver)

Wheels & tires:
- Rota Grid 18x8.5" +44 Hyperblack
- Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 255/35/18
- McGard lug nuts
- Rota DPT 17x9" +42 GT Orange (track)
- Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec 255/40/17 (track)
- Rolled rear fenders

Body & exterior:
- Cleared headlights
- HID lows and fogs
- Grillcraft lower grill
- KS Tech scoop blockoff plate
- Blacked out stock grill
- N-1 CS style front lip
- N-1 CS style side lip
- N-1 CS style rear lip
- Perrin shorty antenna
- CF rear chrome delete
- Blacked out chrome trim
- Tail light overlays
- Debadged
- CF rear diffuser
- 22%/6% tint front/rear

Interior:
- DIYMA 12" sub
- Carputer head unit
- Intel Dual Core Atom 330 Mini-ITX Mobo
- 2GB DDR2 RAM
- Holux GPS Receiver
- Lilliput 629 LED Backlit (2008 Model) LCD
- 80GB Seagate 5400.3 HD
- DSATX 220W Intelligent PSU
- Hippo Bloat DAC
- Zapco DC650.6
- Rainbow Platinum 7" mids
- Seas Lotus RT27F tweeters
- Deadened doors and trunk
- Defi control unit
- Defi BF boost gauge
- Defi BF oil temperature gauge
- Defi BF water temperature gauge
- AEM UEGO wideband O2
- Gotbeef's steering column gauge bracket
- JDM Legacy armrest with compartment
- Aquamist DDS3 gauge
- WC Lathewerks SS shift knob
- White LED panel lights throughout cabin

I'll start off with one of my favorite pics (which is how the car sits now), then on to one of my favorite mods:

My Carputer build, which I'm sure many of you saw in the I.C.E section of the forums

Videos from stock to stage 3:

Stock pull to almost 60

Stage 1 Pull

Stage 2 Pull

Stage 3 Pull

Stage 3 Pull (Retuned)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: LC's Build Thread

Bought new on October 5, 2008

Then I debadged the trunk, added the SPT catback, and tinted

I'm an avid snowboarder so just took these pics for fun :) First one is after we went to Big Bear

Short Shifter and bushings went in shortly thereafter. The SS and front bushing was done first, which made a noticeable difference. I later added the rear stay bushing and the pivot bushing and everything is now very accurate with little to no slop

I also swapped out the speakers for some Rainbow Platinums up front. You can see the difference in the magnet sizes from stock

The next thing in line was getting foglights put in, which I really wanted when I bought the car but didn't want to spring for the premium! The HID's from my old car were the same bulb type, so I was able to pop those in as well to have HID lows and fogs! I also cleared out the headlights that day with the help of a friend

Then I went Stage 1 with the Cobb AP, but there's really no pictures of that ;) That brings us up to the present where I had the first (I think) Stoptech BBK testfit by Stoptech at their facility. It is a 328x28mm kit that preserves the stock brake bias and has 4 piston calipers. I opted for the slotted rotors and also got stainless front and rear brake lines.

Today I went and test fitted my snowboard rack. I am using the OEM crossbars with a Yakima FreshSesh snowboard rack. The Yakima comes with everything you need to attach it to the factory bars so no worries. You just might want to pick up some SKS core locks to protect your gear! I opted for the snow camo theme :)

Dropped with BC BR Coils with 7k/7k rates and Advan RS 18x8.5 +45 (Wrapped with Advan Neova AD07s)

Finally got my Rota Grids after that followed by the Perrin FMIC

After this I started losing track of mods and didn't really take note of when things happened. I do know it was ATP3076R time!

Snowboarding in Utah

Got some new goodies and got retuned

Doing test fit for Invidia exhaust

Sometime this year I blacked out my front grill and got the Grillcraft mesh insert, as well as the N-1 CS style front lip (also in first picture). This is how the car sits today...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Re: LC's Build Thread 2009 WRX

Larry, you have one of the nicest 3g's out there. Love what you have done so far! couple of questions...

how did you like the 7k rates on the bc's?

was it an iffy tune or too much power that killed your engine? that atp turbo looks the part!

maybe an sti drivetrain swap?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

sell me your vf-52

·
Registered
334 Posts

Very impressive! Nice job Larry!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Larry, you have one of the nicest 3g's out there. Love what you have done so far! couple of questions...

was it an iffy tune or too much power that killed your engine? that atp turbo looks the part!

I really like the BCs at 7k/7k. It's firm enough for motorsport events and not too stiff for daily driving. Overall it's a good compromise. I think KWs/RCE coils have a better ride though since they are valved to match their rates. For the price these BCs can't be beat.

I'm not sure what killed the engine yet. I can't really tell until the motor gets torn down (if I take that path instead of buying a Rallispec stage 1 block). It seems that the later year engines really have problems handling higher power levels unlike the earlier 2.5s in the Legacy and Forester though. The tuner of my car is extremely reputable and does a lot of beta testing for Cobb. He is one of the premier GTR tuners in the US and will be the head tuner for Cobb Tuning Socal. But with the seemingly large number of cars with big turbos failing (Vim and a few others I recall who had good tunes like myself), my initial judgement will say the new motors are weaker.

sell me your vf-52
VF-52 is long gone!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Looks great, Larry! I've always admired your build, and its great to see all the info about it compiled in one place.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

I really like the BCs at 7k/7k. It's firm enough for motorsport events and not too stiff for daily driving. Overall it's a good compromise. I think KWs/RCE coils have a better ride though since they are valved to match their rates. For the price these BCs can't be beat.

I'm not sure what killed the engine yet. I can't really tell until the motor gets torn down (if I take that path instead of buying a Rallispec stage 1 block). It seems that the later year engines really have problems handling higher power levels unlike the earlier 2.5s in the Legacy and Forester though. The tuner of my car is extremely reputable and does a lot of beta testing for Cobb. He is one of the premier GTR tuners in the US and will be the head tuner for Cobb Tuning Socal. But with the seemingly large number of cars with big turbos failing (Vim and a few others I recall who had good tunes like myself), my initial judgement will say the new motors are weaker.

sell me your vf-52
VF-52 is long gone!
nooo....!
well nice car anyway man!! you've paved the road for a lot of us 3g'ers

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

First I must say your welcome ;D LMFAO and second, I'm glad you finally started a "true" build thread. Trying to find all your $hit is almost as hard as going through Vim's pages...

I must say that Larry's car is definitely fast and rides great ;D I'm sorry to see that the car is down but hopefully she will be more alive sooner than later.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

well nice car anyway man!! you've paved the road for a lot of us 3g'ers
Thanks! You've paved the road for the sedan gallery on NASIOC though :)

Looks great, Larry! I've always admired your build, and its great to see all the info about it compiled in one place.
Thanks Steve...getting everything in one place was the goal. As quite a few people have noted my threads are scattered all over the place. I want your coils!!

First I must say your welcome ;D LMFAO and second, I'm glad you finally started a "true" build thread. Trying to find all your $hit is almost as hard as going through Vim's pages...

I must say that Larry's car is definitely fast and rides great ;D I'm sorry to see that the car is down but hopefully she will be more alive sooner than later.
Hahah...you are definitely part of the group of people those thanks go out to. By the way, I might have something new from N-1 on the way soon. Did you ever get a quote for me from Vim? I'm weighing my options of a Yimi rebuilt or a Rallispec block. I've heard tons of good stuff about the RS, and you get a new block with the nitrided crank, forged rods, upgraded bearings, and Cosworth pistons.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts

thank you jeebus, finally your thread, haha. didn't take too much coercion. it's funny when you type it all out how the mods start seeming endless, huh?

i'm saddened by your compression/leak down test results but am really excited to see the remedy! please keep us up to date on your plans. looks like i'll be following behind yet another 3g member on the engine build phase. rallispec are quality folks from my experience, they built the ppg box i had for a while and made themselves available to my interrogation and were very knowlegeable.

you know your car looks beautiful and that i love the bbk and the clean design. just excellent, tasteful, and productive implementation of mods my friend. keep up the good work!

·
Registered
149 Posts

Great build thread! Car is looking and sounding awesome. Got any pics of your 255/35 Star Specs on the Grids? I'm thinking about the same combo.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

thank you jeebus, finally your thread, haha. didn't take too much coercion. it's funny when you type it all out how the mods start seeming endless, huh?

i'm saddened by your compression/leak down test results but am really excited to see the remedy! please keep us up to date on your plans. looks like i'll be following behind yet another 3g member on the engine build phase. rallispec are quality folks from my experience, they built the ppg box i had for a while and made themselves available to my interrogation and were very knowlegeable.

you know your car looks beautiful and that i love the bbk and the clean design. just excellent, tasteful, and productive implementation of mods my friend. keep up the good work!
Haha...not too much coercion...but you're right that list just seems endless. It also made me realize I need more suspension :)

But seriously, my car was done except for the diffuser that was already paid for. I didn't want to get in too deep but I have no choice now. I'll be relying on your experience to help me out with my build.

Great build thread! Car is looking and sounding awesome. Got any pics of your 255/35 Star Specs on the Grids? I'm thinking about the same combo.
Thanks! This is the only picture I have at the moment and it's not very good...hope it helps?

·
Registered
149 Posts

Thanks! This is the only picture I have at the moment and it's not very good...hope it helps?

Thanks! Looks like the 255 star specs don't overhang the 8.5" wheel by much, which is good. I'm 98% sure going with flat black 18x8.5 Grids on my WRB 5-door. I've been debating between the 255 Star Specs or go a much cheaper route with 245/35 Hankook Ventus V12 evo. I kind of like the idea of having a slightly smaller diameter with the 245/35s too. If I could avoid fender rolling, that would be nice, but I'll roll if I have to. I'm lowered on Epic springs.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It was between these or 245/35/18 Kumho XS. I got these Star Specs for a steal on CL

·
Registered
749 Posts

The car is incredible dude! What's the process for clearing headlights like? You sir, are a pioneer

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I know this guy and have ridden in his car...awesome to both car and driver! ;D
Hahah...thanks buddy....let me know about the headers

The car is incredible dude! What's the process for clearing headlights like? You sir, are a pioneer
Thanks...there's a DIY in the subforum but to summarize you stick it in the oven for 10 minutes at 250* or so and let the glue soften up. Then you rip them open and unscrew the amber reflector and reassemble. I'm no pioneer...guys like monkiboy (Marcos) are pioneers...

·
Registered
483 Posts

in your last vid you shifted at 7500rpms. is it safe to do that?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I would say yes...friend of mine revved to 7500 on a road course...but I normally don't go that high. I keep it to around 7000 to 7200.

On another note...contacted Rallispec for their shortblock and was notified the price is now $3500 and not $3000 :( Back to the drawing board...

1 - 20 of 707 Posts