Subaru WRX Forums banner

681 - 700 of 707 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Laguna Seca is widely renowned for its noise limits. Heck, I think I just read in the latest Car and Driver that they had to lift in the same place while testing the ZR1 and new Viper. Noise limit is, iirc 90db.

Really enjoyed the videos, Larry!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #682 (Edited)
Nobody could really stay straight in the conditions. I'm on close to full tread Star Specs which are great in the rain, and I had some sketchy moments. Never got passed all day in point by though, thanks to Laguna Seca being known as a track favoring high HP cars. The rain just made AWD shine even more.

I'll have more pics up later, but to recap that weekend, we showed up in Monterey on Saturday afternoon and just kinda hung out the day before. All the weather had cleared up so I thought there was a slim chance that conditions would be dry and favorable. Of course when we woke up the next morning, it was a steady drizzle (good thing I had my tarp with me). So we drive about 10 minutes to get to the track. As you turn in and wind through the small road that takes you into the heart of the track, it's pretty mesmerizing when you realize this is the track you've been playing in Gran Turismo or Forza for the past 10+ years...and you're finally here! It's surrounded by gorgeous scenery all around, and the view is stunning, to say the least.

We get through registration and the normal crap, and we find out that garage rentals are $250 each, or $1000 for the whole building. Well, our group had 7 cars, so we decided what better time to be a big baller, than at Laguna Seca, as a Christmas vacation, to hide from the miserable wind and rain? So yeah, that's what we did, and then we started selling off the extra garages to people to recoup our own cost.

That garage really made the day, as many people started leaving early as the rain got heavier. Looking out into the rather empty parking lot showed that people who unloaded their gear onto the ground, had their stuff soaked :(. As I mentioned before, I blew the 92dB sound limit by registering a 98.9dB pass on my 2nd session (the dryest one, though still slippery) which consequently ended that session for me, right as I passed the people who grid in front of me to get a clean lap at the head of the pack.

The rain and wind picked up a good amount in the afternoon. Guy in a 335i got some footage of my slide in turn 4. Start at 8m49s (link isn't embedding to start at right point)

You can see all the water coming off the car from this photo on the main straight. All my FR buddies were sliding and couldn't get traction anywhere. They were on RS3s, which really ARE terrible in the rain!

Towards the last few sessions, my brakes started feeling like they were warped. This was signaled by some vibration in the pedal and a grinding noise that even my passengers could hear. I shrugged it off, thinking some debris got caught in between the pad and rotor, but it kept going on during the drive back to the hotel. I noticed the next morning that my rear rotors were grooved to shit. No pad left, ground down to the backing plates. My friends talked me into buying some emergency Duralast pads at the auto store and did a quick change for the trek home.

I had checked the life of these pads before we even set out to Monterey. There's no reason that this disintegration was due to excessive heat or hard tracking as I've done 2 events previous to this in the dry. Conditions were extremely cool, and there was obviously some rain to go with it. The front pads had no issues. For those people who I previously recommended EBC pads to, I would hesitate to run them again. With my great experience using Carbotech pads on the Miata, I'm probably going to switch over to those when I get my new rotors.

Car was fine other than a few misfires (could have been a little TOO much race gas). Funny thing is after a week or so of driving to work, the car seems to be overboosting, slightly stuttering with occasional erratic AFR during cruise, and misfiring even after cleaning the NEW MAF and resetting the ECU. So I'm bringing it in to Forman and gang to work their magic :)

These are the photos that got snapped...I should have the high resolution ones in a few days: 319

Reactions: LRN2WRX

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
you guys in cali suck! you get all the cool stuff! i would love to drive on laguna seca. your car looks and sounds great larry. what crap it had to rain when you were there.

·
Registered
957 Posts
always a pleasure to read your updates, and very nice pics and videos as usualy. this is going to have to do, no racing here untill the snow clears :(

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #687 (Edited)
Track day #6, 4th one in the WRX, and first time driving on the same track in the same car LOL. I wanted to do this for redemption. If anyone recalls, I had to abort almost 2 years ago due to misfires and what ultimately led to my 2nd rebuild and going Forman rotated turbo on this car. With that out of the way, I had found a local club that was a well kept secret: they keep registration caps low and provide lots of seat time, transponders, and free photography into a bundled package. I signed up about a month ago, but still had to fix the problem the garbage EBC pads left behind. I ordered a set of slotted rears from Forman to replaced the grooved to shit rotors and a set of Carbotech AX6 for street use, and XP12/XP10 for track duty. Because it is highly recommended that Carbotechs have their own, uncontaminated transfer layer, I decided to turn the front BBK rings. Sadly this brought me to right above minimum thickness, and safety is definitely not something I'm willing to marginalize. So another few hundred bucks and I had a set of new AeroRotor rings in my hands. In all, ended up being about a grand to get the car ready and have a daily pad that wouldn't ruin the transfer layer :angry:.

Here's a video of my fastest lap which still needs some work in a few places. I've improved dramatically mostly from studying video of the fastest drivers on street tires on this course. A few pictures as well.

Acceleration Squat

Passing Boss Mustang on the main straight

Now the bad news...car got hit and run in a parking lot while I was in a training class. Surveillance video didn't reveal anything so I'm SOL. I'm contemplating a part out to obtain/build a different platform...but that'll be a slow decision process.

Lastly, I want to thank the guys at Forman for helping me build this wonderful car, as it is quite a blast to drive on the track! If you're in Socal, go to Forman and never elsewhere :)

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Using Trackmaster with 10Hz Qstarz bluetooth GPS. For some reason it wasn't working as well as it normally does. But yeah it's a nice timer and you can set your own split markers. Has a nice data export capability so you can view your data, speed, MPH at each sample point too :)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
I know! There's some residual index finger twitch though! Hahah :)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
^^^ For the record, I only "liked" the t-bolt comment. As always, the car looks amazing Larry....Don't part the car....

*EDIT* I see you watched the Rudder for driving advice :shocked:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the hit & run. Doesn't it really piss you off what friggin' bottom-feeders some people are? Especially given the incredible amount of time & money you've invested in the car.
I still remember visiting Laguna Seca when I was about 10 years old - I drew nothing but race cars for about 6 months.
Thanks the highly-entertaining posts & for allowing us to share the experience vicariously.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
Well Marcos, since you asked about 8 months ago...as a Christmas present here's an update for you :p

Here's the dedicated track toy out at Buttonwillow last month. It already runs within 4 seconds of my time in the WRX. I've gotten better since the last event with the WRX, but even so, the amount of performance you can build for the price is unrivaled.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
That Miata needs some boost!

Mine has changed a lot since I mentioned it last a few pages back...

Now looks like this

And have every piece I need for my turbo set-up... I just need to pick up a daily driver once the wife picks up her new car... I will probably pick up a small SUV so I can actually drive places when it snows here in NJ

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
Dyno: Dynojet 424X
Tuner: Paul Leung at Yimi Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Gear Used: 3rd
Wheel HP: 430 on 91/518 on E85
Wheel TQ: 389 on 91/475 on E85
Baseline HP/TQ for a stock on same dyno: 230whp/255wtq - 2008 STi
Target Boost: ~22 psi/~25.5 psi
Ambient Temp: 104*F
Elevation: ~1200 feet
Fuel: 91 Octane/E85

Car Info

Year: 2009 WRX Sedan
Engine: Forman Performance built block with CP pistons, Eagle rods, ACL bearings, Tomei 252 cams
Engine Management: Cobb AP v3
Turbo: Rotated GTX3076R w/.82 hotside and recirc 44mm TiAL EWG
Intercooler: Perrin FMIC w/Forman Performance Piping (reverse manifold)
Injectors: ID1300
Intake/Inlet: Forman Performance Intake
Headers: Gruppe-S Equal Length
DP: Rotated 3" DP w/cat
CBE: Invidia Q300
Other: Prodrive BCS, DW300v2 hardwired, APS BOV, One Step Colder Plugs, TGV Deletes, AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor

Wall of Text

I pulled out my Aquamist HFS-3 kit now that there is an E85 station close by. My first attempt to tune didn't go very well as my APv2 kept dropping out causing a bit of frustration for the tuner. The shop that did my fuel pump install 4 years ago also screwed things up pretty badly, so when we went to drop in the DW300v2, the seal between the housing and pump was a bit sketchy. After a few pulls, it was likely losing fuel pressure causing things to lean out. So I head back a week later with an APv3 and new fuel pump housing to be modified.

I was expecting very low 400s for the CA91 tune since my heads are unported and I actually have a cat in the downpipe. So it was a nice surprise to hit 430, seeing as my last tune on 91+meth put down 450 (although that was an ultra conservative tune when I was still tracking the car). Paul then started dialing in everything for E85, and said "minimum 50whp gain on the first pull." So I was even more surprised when it came back at 518whp. He tried to lean it out a bit and raise boost to make more power, but it wasn't putting down anymore and my old APS BPV wasn't holding on the dyno. He did mention the BPV held on the street and should be in the neighborhood of 525-530whp now.

Torque was intentionally kept lower. The powerband is very linear and feels very undramatic. The scan of the graph didn't pick up the torque line, so I'll post the picture instead.

681 - 700 of 707 Posts