Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Nah...that's dong mouther McCarthy who's getting rid of the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey chongl,

Great build thread and amazing car. I found this thread after googling some info with those gruppe -s headers and mocal sandwhich plate.

I was wondering if you also used that sandwhich plate in conjunction with a OEM coolant-oil heat exchanger and or if you had any fitment issues whatsoever. Which angle fittings should I get?

Lastly, what are you oil temps just cruising on the highway? Is the 19 row rad enough in track settings?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
No I don't use the OEM coolant-oil heat exchanger (the 08+ WRXs didn't come with one and I wouldn't care too much for it if it did). For the fittings, I went with 90* -10AN fittings so they point downward when they come off the Mocal sandwich plate.

Oil temps are anywhere from 200 to 220* depending on outside air temp. If you want a little more headroom, you can go larger than the 19 row. Keep in mind my placement of the cooler isn't the best for airflow, so much better results could be had if mounted in a different location with fresh air ducted to it.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for the reply, so the 19row kept it between 200-220 during track conditions as well?

And there were no fitment issues at all with the gruppe-s headers? Going to go ahead and order it now :)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
No, it was higher than that during track conditions for sure. I think it would creep up to 250 to 260, a lot better than the 290s I was getting to BEFORE the oil cooler. Like I mentioned, with better airflow to the cooler I think you'll be fine. If you're even the slightest bit concerned, just get the 25 row for a little extra cooling capacity.

No fitment issues with the Gruppe-S here :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, it was higher than that during track conditions for sure. I think it would creep up to 250 to 260, a lot better than the 290s I was getting to BEFORE the oil cooler. Like I mentioned, with better airflow to the cooler I think you'll be fine. If you're even the slightest bit concerned, just get the 25 row for a little extra cooling capacity.

No fitment issues with the Gruppe-S here :)

Wow. 290 is very high... Local rally shop told me anything over 240F is bad and you should back off. Where is your sensor located? Mine is in the oil pan on the drain plug

Hmm I am stock turbo but might go 25 row anyway

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
Yes it was very high which is what led me to piece together a cooler for myself. 240 definitely isn't terrible but it starts breaking down rapidly above 250*. I don't think the 335i will go into limp mode until oil temps are 270+ and plenty of people have unwisely hit 300. Different car and all, but going above 240 isn't as disastrous as you may think.

My sensor was before the oil cooler since I wanted to know the worst case temps.

701 - 707 of 707 Posts