Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Subaru community with my recent purchase of a '08 WRX sedan. I have driven Hondas (Civics and an Integra) the last 10 years. Before that I drove a '72 Olds Cutlass coupe with a V8 350. I owned Hondas because of their reliability and fuel economy. When it was time to get a new car I was interested in the AWD of the Impreza and I actually really like the new body style the best out of all the WRXs or STIs. The sedan has lines that resemble the new 3 series BMW.

Anyway, in the Honda community people like to do the Poorman's Type R or basically take a regular VTEC engine and bolt on the OEM parts (i.e. camshafts, header, intake manifold, throttle body, etc.) from a Type R Integra aka ITR. Do people do the Poorman's STI by bolting on the STI intercooler, downpipe, intake manifold, etc onto a WRX? If people do this, what parts are worthwile from a '07 and earlier STI or even a Legacy as they have the 2.5L, too? I saw the red intake manifold and TGVs off a 2.5L STI on ebay. Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As far as i know subaru tuners don't do that cos the STI engine vs the WRX engines are basically the same. The only difference is that the STI has strengthened engine parts (able to take higher boost).

For the honda VTEC engines, they camshafts headers and intake manifold n throttle body are totally different between the k20z (normal) and k20a (type r) engine. thats why people do that for honda.

Its my opinion that there is no point in bolting on the sti bolt on parts (downpipe intercooler etc), as you could simply get aftermarket parts that will provide more gains compared to the STI parts, for probably a cheaper price.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I would have to agree with Pehon. You don't have to do that with the subie. But I would agree that the STi intake manifold with TGV deletes would not be a bad Idea. Be careful though, do budget in an ECU re-tune if you do get any type of TGV deletes. Rallitek.com sells JDM TGV deletes for $199.99, which I think is a great deal, but it is not going to be cheap to get those installed.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
People have made subaru "hybrid" engines...hybrid meaning JDM to USDM...JDM heads on usdm blocks or vice versa or some such crazy things...or EJ22 heads on the EJ20...or something...I don't follow it, I'm mostly an NA guy, hehe. But yes, you can frankenstein to some degree, but probably not worth the effort to do a full conversion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts