Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a TOTAL newb question, but is this the front center jack point?

Sorry for the crappy pics. Just snapped some with my cell.

I know its supposed to be just behind the oil pan/plastic underpanel, but I'm nervous since I've never used a central jack point before, just the OEM rail points.

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestlydo not know of the center jack point for our cars. I have not done that yet, I just jack up one side ata time when I need to get under her
Thanks. I know someone on here knows. I just don't want to go pushing my engine up through the hoodscoop! ::)

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
in the front it is the cross beam in the center right behind the end of the plastic engine cover. in the rear it is the rear differential.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I honestlydo not know of the center jack point for our cars. I have not done that yet, I just jack up one side ata time when I need to get under her
That's what I just did.

in the front it is the cross beam in the center right behind the end of the plastic engine cover. in the rear it is the rear differential.
Picture? Some of us don't have the plastic cover any more and replaced it with something more durable. :D

·
Registered
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Flashback to my n00b days!

I'm not sure what you're asking, rexxin, but we turbo models have the large crossmember, and the center of that brace is the correct front jack point. I'm not sure about the small brace, but that photo would indicate that the center portion is the equivalent of the center of the large crossmember brace.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would NOT use the primary jackstand points as shown in that diagram as you can easily damage the bodywork. If you move the jackstands towards the center of the car from those points about a foot there is a nice box section frame rail that would work better.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I would NOT use the primary jackstand points as shown in that diagram as you can easily damage the bodywork. If you move the jackstands towards the center of the car from those points about a foot there is a nice box section frame rail that would work better.
I'm talking about floorjack points highlighted in red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm talking about floorjack points highlighted in red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, those are accurate. I'm just warning you about putting jack stands under the rocker panels.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Just saw this thread ... and the call for a sticky - done.

The first image with the Front Jack Point circled is what I've been using for years. Rear jack point is the differential.

A general idea to keep in mind when picking a jack point: Slowly jack up until the plate makes contact with the car, and jack slowly. If the part you are jacking on starts moving independently of the vehicle, don't use that spot.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How embarrassing that this is my first sticky-ed thread!

Another tip, you generally want the saddle of your jack toward the back of the crossmember piece, as that keeps it from slipping as it starts angling up. If you have it on the front part of the plate its more likely to slip off the brace and onto the oil pan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts