Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just completed a turbo swap in my car and now have a VF40 with approx 38000km for sale. The turbo is in great condition and I can put some pictures up if need be.

I am asking for $400 but am pretty flexible on the price so throw me an offer! It is easiest to e-mail me at [email protected]

Cheers,
Darcy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can you tell me what year legacy it came off of? also a pic maybe, you can PM me if you want.
I think his is an '06, IIRC. He's a local guy who I can vouch for. :) I was going to buy it, but I don't have the money right now, lol.

·
Registered
916 Posts
is this a bolt on addition to the WRX? any other parts or modification needed? bigger injectors? tuning. sorry for the dumb question. what are the benefits? quicker spooling?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is this a bolt on addition to the WRX? any other parts or modification needed? bigger injectors? tuning. sorry for the dumb question. what are the benefits? quicker spooling?
Yes this is pretty much a bolt on to the new WRX. The only other thing you should need to go along with the turbo is a tune. As far as benefits this is a slightly larger turbo than the stock WRX one so you should be able to make more power (at Stg 2 I was making 220whp and 245wtq on a dyno that had STi's making 220whp and 220wtq)

There are no dumb questions, I wish I had better answers but I am going off of what I am told by you guys with the WRXs haha.

Cheers,
Darcy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yup, it's pretty much plug & play. What I have been reading though is you need the turbo oil return line from an 05-06 LGT to make it work properly. Not sure if this is true, I think Rallitek said that though? I might be mistaken.

FWIW We have the same fuel system as the STi, I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know Clark Turner is selling fully tuned maps for you AccessPort users as well on Nasioc for the VF40/VF46 setups. Easy $150 protune you can buy if you get the turbo.

Bump for PerfectDark!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for posting again but I just found this on NASIOC, figured you all would want to read someones testimonial on the VF40.

"Interesting timing for this thread. I just swapped a VF40 from a 2006 Legacy Spec B into my 2008 WRX on Monday. The swap was seamless- no problems and everything fit perfectly. Well, I had to slightly bend the stock oil feed line if you don't have the Legacy GT line (my turbo was purchased used, so it didn't have the line).

PDX Tuning has a map for a Stage II 2008 WRX with a VF40. I purchased that for $150 and I'm satisfied with it, but I'm still getting the car tuned locally pretty soon. My car has the dreaded low RPM hesitation that afflicts some of the 07-08 Foresters and LGTs and some of the 2008 WRXs. Neither the Cobb, Perrin or PDX tuning maps have been successful at getting rid of that hesitation, which is, I assume, pretty normal. It's not something that happens on every car, so I can't expect it to be tuned out by an OTS map.

One note about the PDX tuning map- they told me it was designed to be used with the stock restricter pill. This is WRONG. With the stock pill, I was boosting to 18.5 psi at 5000 RPM at 75% throttle. Bad Bad Bad. I changed it out with the stock 2002-2003 pill (the one COBB recommends for its VF39 swaps on earlier WRXs) and I'm safely pulling 17 psi now.

Overall impressions- 100% different car. Mid range and top end are vastly improved, according to the butt dyno. I won't have any official numbers until I get it tuned. I might put in a fuel pump for safety's sake, but I'll know more as I talk to my tuner about the AF ratio on the top end.

My current cash outlay for the mod- $400. I purchased the turbo used from someone on Legacygt.com (with 30k miles, but little wear) and got the PDX tuning map for $150. Overall, it's the best bang for the buck I can think of.

Caveat- I'm not looking for mondo power. If YOU are, dump the stock 08 WRX turbo/IC configuration and go with a standard inlet turbo and either aftermarket TMIC or FMIC as well as the "normal" (non LGT) intake manifold. That just isn't in the cards for me, so I'm happy with what I have. "

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Definately doing this someday but I'm so tired of my fugly wheels at this point that I need to save all my nickels and dimes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts