Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have the SPT Pink springs for the 08 wrx. They have caused all my struts to blow. Subaru says they are the cause but they will cover with warranty. They say they void the warrenty. I thought that all SPT parts were covered with the warranty? How do I contact someone other then the local people at my dealership? Can anyone help me.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: f*** Subaru

that sucks man. i remember hearing something about subaru not covering the spt pinks on the 08's cause they knew the struts were blowin out left and right. you have two options. . .

a) suck it up and order new 2009 wrx struts cause they are supposed to be valved alot better than the obviously problomatic 2008 struts that we were blessed with

b) or go back to subaru and raise some hell, demand to speak to the regional rep on the phone directly and try to get your warrantied, but they are only going to blow again.

i had the same problem with my 08 struts, went at about 5k after having the pinks on for only a couple thousand miles, i ended up just gettin coilovers. the 2009 struts are your best bet. i know it sucks, but thats the way it is. good luck ;)

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts

join the club dude, im currently working on getting all sorts of documentation together to fax to subaru saying WTF and how it states that they are warranted. been on blown struts for about 1500 miles...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts

Just got off the phone with the Service Manager at my dealership. He is a nice guy and he told me even if he installs the pink springs the struts will not be covered. He told me that any aftermarket parts, even Subaru ones, that cause the failure of another will not be covered. Meaning if the struts blow most likely the cause will be the new springs so you will be out of luck. He said this a Subaru policy but said to call Subaru to see if they say the same to me.

After reading all of th posts on here about these springs I think I am going to buy 2009 struts and springs and upgrade that way.

·
Registered
954 Posts

Just got off the phone with the Service Manager at my dealership. He is a nice guy and he told me even if he installs the pink springs the struts will not be covered. He told me that any aftermarket parts, even Subaru ones, that cause the failure of another will not be covered. Meaning if the struts blow most likely the cause will be the new springs so you will be out of luck. He said this a Subaru policy but said to call Subaru to see if they say the same to me.

After reading all of th posts on here about these springs I think I am going to buy 2009 struts and springs and upgrade that way.
keep the pinks, just get the struts. i dont think the springs are the problem, i think its the struts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well I called the Subaru 1-800 customer support number because I did not know who else to call. They said it should be covered by warranty, or at least that is whey made it seem like. They are calling my local dealership so I hope something will get done. But I think I am just going to buy some of those Megan Racing Coilovers. They are about the same price as the 09 struts and the other stuff that you need to get them working on an 08. With the Megan's I have a lot more control so I can set them for gravel roads and track. I hate Subaru of America but love my car :'(.

·
Registered
954 Posts

look into BC coil overs, they are about $200 more but they seem to be a better product and offer a $95 life time replacement on them so after the warranty, if you have a problem, you get a brand new coilover for $95

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I had ordered the Megans a few weeks ago but sent them back because had equipment crap out on me at my studio, needed money. But had not received refund yet so just had Harman reship me the Megans. I would have gone with the BC but had not read about them until after I ordered the megans, the megans sound great still though.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Sounds like a bad dealership to me. They should definitely cover this. I mean if SPT doesn't mean that they will warranty it then there is little reason to pay the premiums they ask for their parts when you can get better parts for the same cost.

Though, after reading it, that SPT page that was linked spoke of the SPT parts being covered, not the car, so that doesn't really offer much proof of the SPT not affecting warranty claims.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Does anyone have non-horror stories running Pinks on their 08s?
I personally do not, have not put them on yet. However I know of several people that have run them for quite a while with no problems.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I jus found out today that i had a bused strut and i am running h&r springs and they are gonna cover my strut under warranty... :eek: I got lucky there... Seems to me that its not subaru that is not replacing the parts its the dealership i am good friends with the warranty manager at my local subby dealership and he told me he is the one that makes the warranty decisions

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

I've had mine on for about 1000 miles and no problems yet. Though lately I've been wondering.......If the struts are blown, will you see fluid leaking or is it stictly a feel thing? I don't know if I 'm just used to the springs now but it doesn't feel are tight as it once did. Hard to describe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I've had mine on for about 1000 miles and no problems yet. Though lately I've been wondering.......If the struts are blown, will you see fluid leaking or is it stictly a feel thing? I don't know if I 'm just used to the springs now but it doesn't feel are tight as it once did. Hard to describe.
Sorry to say it but I think they are blown. From what I have seen and been told any liquid coming out mean blown. If anyone knows otherwise please say.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

^^I think he was asking because he wasn't sure if just because fluid ISN'T leaking out of them if that means they are not blown.

This is one of the primary reasons I am not a fan of lowering springs on most shocks/struts not made for them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts