Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose you kept your exhaust system exactly how it is, except you switched between a restrictive stock muffler and an aftermarket straight-through muffler (Magnaflow). Simply by changing the muffler, there should be no noticeable difference in fuel efficiency, correct?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Magna flow says that they increase fule economy.. I have them on my expedition and I still get like 13mpg...lol

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you will still increase flow... so technically you might get 1mpg better...

but no, not really -- you still have 2 catalytic converters and 1 resonator...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Magna flow says that they increase fule economy.. I have them on my expedition and I still get like 13mpg...lol
Marketing ploy. :)
They drove it harder with it off
then drove it like a pansy with it on.
LOL

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
it's a ploy. consider any product suspect when it says it increases horsepower, and improves mileage. there are no magic arrows. want better mileage, be lighter on the pedal and stay out of boost. things like the cobb accessport CAN affect fuel economy by changing the amount of fuel that flows, but generally even this is going to be a very, very minor difference, if any.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
it's a ploy. consider any product suspect when it says it increases horsepower, and improves mileage. there are no magic arrows. want better mileage, be lighter on the pedal and stay out of boost. things like the cobb accessport CAN affect fuel economy by changing the amount of fuel that flows, but generally even this is going to be a very, very minor difference, if any.
exactly, even if they say stuff like "10% better fuel economy". That might be true (more likely not), but 10% of 20 is 2MPG, not really too significant and driving conditions vary enough that a car can see more than a 10% variance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts