Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just out of curiousity has any one ran less then 93 or 91? i.e 89 or 87? if so what happened ? how was performance?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i just put 94 each time i pump... but its not everywhere that you cant find, so far the only time the car ran on 91 was the full tank that the dealer gave me..

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can only get 91 here in Utah but the altitude helps knock here. I can't wait 3 more weeks and I am moving to South Carolina, should have higher octane there, pluse 3000 feet lower be like driving and STi up here in the altitude WOOHOO!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was wondering because i herd of ppl runing the cheapo shit i run 93 that what we got here in ny, i can also dump 110 i live in a racing town its allover but 6.75 a gal and only availabe when the track is open

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is my first car that I have to use 91 octane or higher. When I had to fill up with gas for the first time I almost put 87 octane just because I'm so used to it. I've only used 91, but there are some Sunoco gas stations in my area with 93. I usually go to Shell (no 93) gas stations because I get Air Miles.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i think Shell V-power have the best 91, so when i cant get 94 i go for V-Power (only petro-canada carry 94 in quebec and not everywhere, just from montreal to Trois-rivieres on selected place)

·
Registered
182 Posts
just out of curiousity has any one ran less then 93 or 91? i.e 89 or 87? if so what happened ? how was performance?
I will not try it. I have a lovely Honda motorcycle piston with a dime-sized hole in the crown that tells me what can happen to your motor when you're consistently experiencing detonation.

Severe enough detonation can damage your engine in mere seconds--broken pistons, broken rings, broken ring lands ...

It isn't worth it just to try to save ten or twenty cents per gallon. You knew the car required premium when you bought it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
curiosity killed the boxer...
+100. Nothing good is going to come of it. Saving a dollar or so a fillup will cost u ALOT more in the long run. Make smart decisions and respect the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes i knew the car required primium i was karius if anyone actually has ran lower and what the result was.. lets not blow it out of proporation.

·
Registered
498 Posts
At one point, I seem to remember COBB saying they were going to develop a map fpr lower octane/economy. Since they never did, I assume it is a bad idea. I know the have an economy map, ut it still requires 91+ octane, and the results have been mixed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I filled up my 08 wrx with 87 once, it was bone dry when i did, and i did it by misteake. Simply got used to using 87. My engine exploded after 50 kms down the road.
Jk, nothing has happened, it drove fine, it was ....slightly slower and slugish, but just slightly. Not too noticeable.
Every other time than that, i use Sunoco's 94.
If you cant run it on premium fuel, get a prius.

·
Registered
122 Posts
91 is the highest octane that generally available in Calgary where I live and it's not worth it to me to try and find the handful of places that sell higher octane. Although, I did try adding a bottle of octane booster to a tank of 91 and it seemed to have slightly more juice Although I don't know if it was just psychological. For those of you who don't know, Calgary is at a pretty damn high altutude. I am curious about how the performance would feel at or closer to sea level

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here in Alaska I only get 90 octane. Yeah it sucks should I use a booster?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I can only get 91 here in Utah but the altitude helps knock here. I can't wait 3 more weeks and I am moving to South Carolina, should have higher octane there, pluse 3000 feet lower be like driving and STi up here in the altitude WOOHOO!!!
EVERY gas station that is worth buying from has 93 octane in SC :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sweet I can't wait to get there there is only 91 here. I was looking at the alititude of Columbia average 350' the WRX is going to feel like a rocket compared to average 4500' here. :D

Seth

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here in Alaska I only get 90 octane. Yeah it sucks should I use a booster?
Some people say octane boosters don't work and are a scam....i don't know for sure though.
They can work, but most of the on-the-shelf stuff is overpriced.

Toluene works very, very well, and is, by way of comparison, cheap. It tends to be the main ingredient in off-the-shelf additives, in fact. It *is* hazardous to your health, though--use only in a well-ventilated area (i.e., not inside your garage).

Remember your algebra, and remember to compute a weighted average of the boost + the gasoline in your tank (it doesn't really work quite that way, but this will get you close).

There may be a reason that you only get 90 octane in Alaska, and mayhaps the AK WRXen are tuned for it? It's worth asking SOA (e.g., via my.subaru.com) before you spend money on octane additives.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts