Subaru WRX Forums banner

Are you going to go full Synthetic or Full Mineral, or Semi Synthetic after your run-in (1000miles /

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick poll everyone! I'm at 1100Km now, just curious whats everyone doing.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
In another 2000 miles i'll be changing over to full synth. w/ k&N filter.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've got Royal Purple sitting in the back seat, i'll be putting it in after work today.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Ive always used modil 1, always heard about the royal but could never find it... Who's got the hook up? pepboys ect.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i alway go with mobil 1
Well known and reliable brand, easy to find everywhere you stop and often on discount :D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have always used full synthetic, I think that it is better esp for a turbocharged car. It holds its viscosity at higher temperatures which is a must in a turbo car. I used Castrol Syntec on my old Subie and Mobil1 on my Mercedes and BMW. I think that Mobil makes a good product, but I think more research in what motor oil is best for a turbo car is needed, esp with mods. I have heard a lot of good things about Royal Purple. I would recommend getting your own oil and taking that with you when you get your oil changed, it is normally cheaper.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ive always used modil 1, always heard about the royal but could never find it... Who's got the hook up? pepboys ect.
I get mine from a local shop. I think you can get it from O'riellys. You could always order some from the interweb.

I would recommend getting your own oil and taking that with you when you get your oil changed, it is normally cheaper.
it's a good idea, the guys that work at the places here are pretty cool about it.
i use to get the hook up from a friend at an oil change place. pack for cigarettes for oil, filter and labor :)
or you can just get dirty and do it yourself. Do i need to make a "how to" this weekend?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Im probably gonna use royal purple synchromesh for my next tranny flush, really great stuff and especialy good for winter application

·
Registered
29 Posts
ill definitely be switching to full synthetic after a full break in and hard running.
i used mobil 1 for the longest time in my vr4 but switched to royal purple and was greatly impressed
1) it cured my awful awful dsm lifter tick, in the dead of winter too!
2) its actually frickin purple, i mean how cool is that??

i buy it at autozone

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Im gonna go royal purple for my next trany flush

·
Registered
35 Posts
Synthetic is always a safe bet... i used costrol Syntek for my last vehicle but am wondering about this royal purple everyones talking about. is it worth it to use that stuff instead...?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
goin synth...... most probably redline oil.
be really careful oil redline.. heard a lots of bad story.... over the Contour forum a lots a people had engine faillure with red line oil and i think its not approved by subaru for your warranty

·
Registered
182 Posts
You need to use an oil that means the specifications in your owner's manual: ILSAC GL-4 or API SM. As long as it meets one or the other (or both), it is OK for your warranty.

SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS. You will need them if you need to make a warranty claim. If you get your oil changed at the dealer, the dealer's records will cover you. Still, save all of your receipts--including for oil and filters if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
goin synth...... most probably redline oil.
Had my first change oil about two weeks ago (sorry for late post).... used royal purple . so far so good :) also used the k and n oil filter (if i remember correctly - part 1008)..

which makes me wonder, is there a differnce between the factory oil filter and the sti pink filter, apart from the color of the canister?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts