Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuzzy's 08 DGM WRX Build (Stage 3.52)

I’ve decided to update this post for a different layout now that I’ve owned the car for nearly two years. This is the first car I’ve done any legitimate performance mods to even though I’ve owned a couple other toys, so it has definitely been a learning experience. It will remain a DD, but since I now work from home it may end up being more aggressive than if I had a daily commute.

Here’s how the car sat when it was purchased:
  • 2008 DGM WRX Hatch Base Model
  • 55,103 miles when purchased March 31, 2012
  • Rally Armor Basic Mudflaps
  • Cobb Catback Exhaust
  • Kartboy Short Throw Shifter

It was a great buy from a local enthusiast who was being deployed and planned to purchase a 2013 when he returned (and he did). I knew I would want more than what it had, but other than the exhaust (and STS that the previous owner didn’t even know about) it was completely stock and unmolested. At the time I had a 110 mile round trip commute every day, so the plan was just to add a little performance to make it that much more fun to drive.

While it’s a pretty basic setup (especially when compared to some of the great builds on here), I’ve enjoyed it a lot and can’t wait to see what else I decide to do in the future. After the next round of go parts I’ll be focusing more on suspension and appearance since I think I’ll be pretty happy with the power.

Engine/Performance:

• VF52 Turbo (PNP'd, Ceramic Coated)
  • Invidia Catless Downpipe
  • Perrin Catback Exhaust (Single Exit)
  • Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
  • K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake
  • Racer X FMIC
  • Perrin Turbo Inlet
  • Forge Motorsports Recirculating BOV
  • Torqued Performance 3.52 Tune
Suspension/Drivetrain:

• Cobb Short Throw Shifter
  • Torque Solutions Front & Rear Shifter Bushings
  • Turn in Concepts Wide Lever Pivot Bushings
  • Turn in Concepts Shift Linkage Bushings
  • Torque Solution Billet Pitch Mount
  • Group N Transmission Mount
  • Whiteline 22mm Front & Rear Sway Bars
  • RalliTek HD Front & Rear Endlinks
  • GTSpec Fender Braces
  • GTSpec Front Strut Bar
  • Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
  • Torque Solutions Transmission Crossmember Bushings
  • Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace
  • Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Appearance/Misc:

• Rally Armor Urethane Mudflaps
  • BaysonR Rain Guards
  • BaysonR Carbon Fiber STi Spoiler
  • Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation
  • Perrin Shorty Antenna
  • Formula One 35% Ceramic Tint
  • Lamin-X Taillight Vinyl
  • Rear Bumper LED Reflectors
  • Cree 10W LED Reverse Bulbs
  • SLK Innovations Hallow Halo Fog Lights
  • Grillcraft Lower Grill
  • Switchback LED Turnsignal Bulbs
  • Primitive Racing Front Skid Plate (3/16")
  • Footwell Illumination Kit & Center Console Light (Red)
  • 09+ WRX Center Console
  • SMY Clustermaker Gauge Pod
  • Prosport 52mm Evo Series Wideband
Waiting to be installed:

• Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts
  • Whiteline Rear Differential Mount Inserts
  • Group N Motor Mounts
  • Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
  • Whiteline Rear Sway Bar Braces
  • Torque Solution Driveshaft Center Support Bushings
  • Cusco Power Steering Rack Power Brace
  • GTSpec Rear Strut Brace
  • Kartboy 12mm Exhaust Hangers
  • Grimmspeed 38mm EWG Uppipe
  • Tial 38mm MV-S Wastegate
  • DeatschWerks DW 65c Fuel Pump
  • Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors
  • Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
  • GoodRidge Stainless Steel Clutch Line
  • JDM Heated Mirrors
  • Retro-Quick Subaru Impreza HID Kit (Mini D2S 2.0 Proejctors, XB35 5500k Bulbs, Matsushita Gen V Ballasts, Morimoto XB LED Angel Eyes)
  • Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve
  • Prosport 52mm Evo Series Boost, Oil Pressure, EGT, & Water Temp Gauges
  • BNA Triple A Pillar Pod
  • Password JDM Carbon Fiber Radiator Shroud
  • Password JDM Carbon Fiber Fuse Panel Cover
  • Password JDM Carbon Fiber Battery Cover
  • Carbign Craft Carbon Fiber Alternator Shroud
  • VMS Oil Cap
Pics

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Fuzzy's 08 DGM WRX Build

So I ordered a bunch of parts before I even took possession of the car. In fact, all but one of them arrived before I had the car. Maybe it was a bit overzealous, but I didn’t care; I knew what I wanted.

Ordered Parts
  • Cobb Double Adjustable Short Throw Shifter
  • Torque Solution Front & Rear Shifter Stay Bushings
  • Turn In Concepts Shift Linkage Bushings
  • Turn In Concepts Wide Lever Pivot Bushings
  • Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
  • Torque Solution Positive Shift Kit
  • Torque Solution V3 Billet Pitch Mount
  • Perrin 3” Shorty Antenna

I also had a few things I bought for my 2003 WRX that I never got around to installing that I’m going to use here instead.
  • Grimmspeed Turbo Heatshield
  • Prosport 52mm Red & Blue Evo Series Gauges (Boost, Oil Pressure, EGT, Wideband, & Water Temp)
  • 17” Rota Torques in Hyper Silver (not sure if I will like the looks of these on it yet, may mount them soon to see)
I need to buy the SMY Clustermaker Dual Gauge Pod so I can get a couple of these installed before I get tuned.

On April 3 I was able to get a few of the parts installed (Pitch Mount, Turbo Heatshield, Shorty Antenna). Here’s a pic of the first two pieces installed.

And a crappy cell phone picture it along with my 03.

I’m really hoping to get the shifter and bushings installed this weekend, but we’ll have to see how things progress.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Nice job so far. MOAR! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys, there will definitely be more ;D

I forgot to mention that I ordered a Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar off NASIOC the other day, as well. I'm also trying to decide on/talk myself into a downpipe, but I'm having problems deciding which brand I want and if I should get one yet or get a SMY gauge pod first and get the down pipe a little further down the road.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sway bar arrived today (no pics yet)! Trying to talk myself into installing it, but it's a pretty crappy day outside so I'm not sure I will. But, I did have a roll of 3m 1080 carbon fiber wrap show up, too, so I decided to try my first wrap.
Having never wrapped anything before it was an interesting experience. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but I did have to heat it up more than I expected. What I decided to wrap.

I want to do the other trim pieces on the dash, but need to see if I can find some sample pieces to see if I want part of it to be the silver carbon or if I want to keep it all black. If someone knows where I can get a free sample right now, or if you have a tiny piece you'd be willing to sell (something just a couple inches so I can get a better idea for the color and how well it would offset the black) I'm all ears :)
I also picked up some Goof Off! to try to fix the taillights. As much as I hate the all clear tails, the way these look right now I hate even more. Once I get that fading paint all cleared off I have to decide if I want to lightly smoke them, paint the outer ring with the Krylon Stained Glass Paint I've seen quite a few pictures of, or buy vinyl overlays for them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was finally able to get my short throw shifter in this weekend. Although we did run into a nice surprise when taking things apart. My brother-in-law noticed there was a Kartboy sticker on the one we took out (after it was out, of course), so I asked the previous owner about it and he had no idea it was installed!

Since I already bought it I decided to go ahead and install the Cobb and pivot bushings anyway, and I'm glad I did. The throw is definitely shorter and shifting seems to be a lot smoother than with the Kartboy (not sure why). But it is kinda nice to know I can get a little money back on my investment by selling the Kartboy.

Here's a before, during, and after pic. I'm surprised the knob height dropped a whole inch as well; since I've got it on the shortest throw I would have thought it would be a bit higher than it was.

Now to get underneath the car and replace the rest of the shifter bushings. I'm curious to see whether those have already been replaced, as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'd definitely recommend the Cobb. I still think the throw is a lot shorter and the shifting is a lot smoother (and I have no idea why...). Unless you want to shoot me an offer for the KB ;D

It was a really crappy day with it raining and being as cold as it was, so I didn't get the car washed and the taillights cleared like I wanted. But, I did swap out the wheels on it to see which ones I like more. I like the style of the Rotas a lot more, but I think I'll put the stockers back on it because of the color. Thoughts?

I also decided to use the rest of my wrap to do the grill. I won't know until it's sunny out and the car is washed, but for now it doesn't look as good as I thought it would (the black cf clashes with the DGM a bit, I think). I messed up on both of the upper corners in the tight concave areas that I had to try to fix, so if I decide I don't like it I'll go ahead and tear it back off (or try the silver cf instead?).

I also got my new license plates today and found that the holes where the front license plate would go are too close together on the car. Anybody else run into this problem? I'm thinking about getting a Grimmspeed relocation kit (been looking at them anyway) so I don't have to drill out my bumper or the plates.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Got a little more work done this weekend :) It still has a long way to go, though!

First up (no pics), but I finally got a plumb back fitting for my BOV and a plug for the atmospheric side, and after a little settings adjustment she drives like a whole new animal! I know the stock turbo doesn't push much power high, but at least I'm not losing much boost between shifts now (every little bit helps). On a side note, before I adjusted my BOV some the engine was actually revving up slightly (probably 200-300 RPMs) between shifts when in boost after installing the plumb back and plug - what is it that actually causes that? I then adjusted it too much and it seemed to lose a ton of boost, but after dialing it in a bit it seems to be staying pretty steady.

Next up, I got my Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit installed. I also have the Front Plate Replacement thingy that goes where the stock plate would go to block the holes, but just like with my license plate the holes are too narrow on the bumper. I'm guessing there's supposed to be an adapter or bracket that I need as well? I really want to get that figured out so I don't have to look at the unsightful holes up front!

And finally, it's not installed yet, but I received my Invidia Catless Downpipe. Thanks to Vim/Forman Performance I was able to get one with a second bung welded into it before it was even shipped :)

I've ordered some rain guards I hope get here this week so I can install them next weekend. Since it's that time of year here for rain it would be nice to be able to leave my windows cracked on my trek to and from work. Then hopefully once I can sell my 03 WRX it's tint, intercooler, and turbo and I'll be the happiest guy alive 8)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It has been a while since my last update, but thanks to monkiboy I now have a PNP'd, coated VF52 :D Now I just have to figure out what other mods I want to install when I do the swap - not sure I'll be patient enough to do everything I'd like to but I'd rather only do it once so we'll have to see.

And, thanks to Vim and Forman Performance I'll soon have a 22mm Front Sway Bar to go with my rear I need to install, as well as some rear diff bushing inserts and rear subframe bushing inserts.

Thanks again to both of you 8)

·
Registered
114 Posts

It has been a while since my last update, but thanks to monkiboy I now have a PNP'd, coated VF52 :D Now I just have to figure out what other mods I want to install when I do the swap - not sure I'll be patient enough to do everything I'd like to but I'd rather only do it once so we'll have to see.

And, thanks to Vim and Forman Performance I'll soon have a 22mm Front Sway Bar to go with my rear I need to install, as well as some rear diff bushing inserts and rear subframe bushing inserts.

Thanks again to both of you 8)

First off, we both got our cars back in March!

Also what is the advantages of having the 52 pnp'd and coated? What is the power increase over it normally?

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

First off, we both got our cars back in March!

Also what is the advantages of having the 52 pnp'd and coated? What is the power increase over it normally?

Keep up the good work!
Sounds like March was a good month :)

I'm not sure what specific power increases are over the normal VF52, but the main advantages of having it pnp'd are faster spool times and increased HP and torque. Having it coated keeps the heat in the turbo which should allow better flow. It also helps prevent heat soak/keeps engine bay temps lower.

I honestly wasn't looking for a pnp'd or coated turbo, but for the price and who the seller was I knew there was no way I'd get a better deal or a better product so I jumped on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
More updates. Once I get all my parts on order in I'll make a weekend out of it to get everything done.

First off, I managed to somewhat fix my taillights. I'd much rather have them tinted/darker, but this will do for now.

I have quite a few things on order - shout out to Vim for most of them!
  • Whiteline Anti-lift Kit
  • Group N Motor/Tranny Mounts
  • Goodridge SS Brake Lines
  • Tactrix Cable (2.0)
Just got my new fender braces in. Found them brand new on eBay for half price last week!

That's it for now. I guess I'm just parts whoring for now - hopefully I'll be able to put them all to good use soon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Notice any difference with the fender braces installed?
Haven't gotten a chance to install them yet, unfortunately. They just arrived in the mail yesterday, so if the weather stays as crappy as it is right now I'll try to get them installed tonight - otherwise it's a project for this weekend. I'll let you know what I think after they're installed!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Have you had a chance to install the fender braces yet? How is it with them? Very curious about that upgrade.
Haven't been on here in the past week or so, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately I haven't - I've got a couple boxes full of parts waiting to be installed, but since I don't have a heated garage and since I haven't been driving much anyway since I started my new job I haven't felt like dealing with it in the cold. I have another garage to do it in and now that auto-x season is finally over I'll probably be able to do it at some point sooner than later.

I did redo my taillights again, though. The paint didn't turn out like I liked so decided to splurge on the vinyl. Glad that I did, but screwed up one of the outers so am waiting on a replacement for the passenger side one before I clean them up and put the vinyl on.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts