Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am sure this has been gone over but one more time for a dummy like me ok. Where do I tee in a boost gauge? The directions I have are very vague, is it tied in at the top of the BOV or is there a better spot to tee it in at? Thanks.

Seth

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not sure about the 08 WRX, but I had a 97 Eclipse GSX and the previous owner had used the vaccum line off the BOV to splice the Tee in. Just make sure the Tee is not obstructed at all...I found the brass one the previous person had put on was just about clogged. (I took it off b/c it looked strange, like they got the parts for the Tee from Ace, I just tried to blow through it and I couldn't) I threw that one away and put a plastic Tee on there and it was much better...it actually helped relieve the "flutter" from the BOV. (I know that's really bad, the car had many more problems than that, but that seemed to help)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. I just tried to slave in the guage to see how it worked. It read 15 psi vacuum at idle. Stepped on the gas and it didn't get above 0 psi reading. I know at 4500' here in SLC I will never see the full potential of boost but I know it should read some positive pressure. I am going to return the gauge and get a new one. Hopefully that is what the problem is.

Seth

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok got the gauge installed but I kinked the hose. So anyway had to quit because I had plans for the evening. I am going to get a new hose and reroute it in the am, but I was wondering where would be the best place to splice in the light for the gauge? I used a voltmeter and everthing I could check was always hot. I couldn't find a 12V source that was switched with the ignition or how to get to the headlight after the switch side. I can see the wires coming off the ignition switch but I am not sure which one to splice into to just get the power when the key is on. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It is an Autometer gauge, so I just need to power the light. Thanks in advance.

Seth

·
Registered
359 Posts
your head unit has a switched lead but you should just be able to tap into a switched lead in the fuse panel. I just realized I don't know where the fuse panel is haha.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just need to find a switched lead. I have access to my ignition wires but again not sure which one to tap into. I guess maybe I need to ask the service department and see if they can tell me which wire is a switched wire on the ignition. Just makes it more convenient as the wires are right there at the column where I mounted the gauge.

Seth

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been thinking on it. Tomorrow I think that I am going to see if I can't get to the dash light dimmer and tap into the wires there. Should work good And give me the dimming effect too.

Seth

·
Registered
359 Posts
you might wanna consider adding an insulated fuse block if you want to add more gauges later on. Otherwise I'll be watching your results to see if the dimmer works properly on your gauge.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only other gauge I might add is an AFR. I will let you know how the dimmer works when I git er dun. :D

Seth

·
Registered
327 Posts
The only other gauge I might add is an AFR. I will let you know how the dimmer works when I git er dun. :D

Seth
Please keep us updated. I just bought a ProSport boost gauge and know how I'm wiring everything except that. How hard was it getting the tubing through the firewall? Am I going to have to remove any carpet on the inside?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Seth
Please keep us updated. I just bought a ProSport boost gauge and know how I'm wiring everything except that. How hard was it getting the tubing through the firewall? Am I going to have to remove any carpet on the inside?
I ran the tube from the BOV to the grommet on the passenger side of the firewall just right of the middle support on the firewall. All you have to do is punch a hole in the insulation. I removed my glove box and just had my gf shove the tube through and keep moving it until I could feel it and pulled it through. You have to king of fell up and around the a/c condenser. As for wiring the back light I checked the wires on the dimmer, they all put out only 4 volts. So since I had that panel off I checked the power coming in to the power mirrors. On the end of that connector there is a black wire and a yellow wire there is 12 volts there only when the key is on. So I tapped into the power there. The back light is always on when the key is but that wasn't a big deal for me. The Autometer comes with a red back light and it looks awesome at night. I will take a pic and post it. If you have any questions just let me know and I will help out.

Seth

·
Registered
327 Posts
I ran the tube from the BOV to the grommet on the passenger side of the firewall just right of the middle support on the firewall. All you have to do is punch a hole in the insulation. I removed my glove box and just had my gf shove the tube through and keep moving it until I could feel it and pulled it through. You have to king of fell up and around the a/c condenser. As for wiring the back light I checked the wires on the dimmer, they all put out only 4 volts. So since I had that panel off I checked the power coming in to the power mirrors. On the end of that connector there is a black wire and a yellow wire there is 12 volts there only when the key is on. So I tapped into the power there. The back light is always on when the key is but that wasn't a big deal for me. The Autometer comes with a red back light and it looks awesome at night. I will take a pic and post it. If you have any questions just let me know and I will help out.

Seth
Ok thanks. How come you didn't use the grommet on the driver's side? How hard was the glove box to remove? And you said while you had the panel off you checked the wiring, which panel was this? I don't want to destroy anything installing this gauge. Thanks Seth!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I tried the grommet on the driver side and I couldn't reach the tube because of the way that the heater core is placed in there. It was a lot easier going from the passenger side one and passing it under the stereo to the driver side. The panel I am talking about is where the dimmer swtich and the electric mirror controls are, just about where your knee would be while driving. Just use the edge of a butter knife to pry it off. The glove box is easy to remove. Just undo the shock on the left of the box. Sqeeze the sides to get it past the stops and pop it off the hinge.

Seth

·
Registered
359 Posts
nice !!! Still waiting for a pic or 2. How much did you pay on the gauge and how do you mount it ?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I will snap a pic tonight when it gets dark and post it, I forgot. Any way I bought the gauge at Auto Zone for $54, it is the 2 1/16 Autometer. After much research it seemed to me to be the best gauge for the money. Alot of people have said if the gauge goes bad you send it to Autometer they will fix/replace it no questions if not obviously abused. I mounted it behind the steering wheel to the left of the column. It kind of sits in that dead spot between the tac, and fuel/temp gauge. I bought some black convoluted tubing to hide the wires and tube. I used the red light cover that came with the gauge and it just about matches the red on the dash, looks great to me. The needle on the gauge is red too so at night it is a little hard to read but not impossible. I will get some pics on tonight.

Seth

·
Registered
359 Posts
muhahaha !!! I'm considering going the same route. Can't beat that price and autometers been around a long time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will snap some pics of the mounting and some of the night back lighting. To me it looks pretty awesome with the gauge backlit red at night.

Seth

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some day time pics of the gauge, and mounting position on the column. I will take some pics when it gets dark tonight. Hope this helps.

Seth

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
How hard was it to get the column off to drill that hole? Looks good BTW

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL I let my girl friend do the column. She says it was one screw on the bottom half and 3 on top. There are two on the top that are kind of hidden by a wire bundle. You just have to kind of poke around the bundle so you can get to them. Here are a couple of night pics.

Seth

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts