Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been poking around looking for gauges and mounting locations...

Boost at a min My main concern is location, It needs to be clean, not that busy and out of the way or at least tucked in, I am thinking between the RPM and the fuel gauge, I think a 52mm would fit in there nicely.

My other thought is a Pillar Pod... Is there a 08 pillar pod out there and has anyone seen or read about issues with the air bag?

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that the pillar + Airbag = bad news. BUt I also read that the air bag deploys from the upper most portion of the pillar, wich would mean that OEM pillar cover and for this matter aftermarket would fold down between the dash and windshield.

I understand that a accident is an accident and you can't control it but that would mean that you cold not control an OEM pillar cover either...

Just a thought... I m only pushing cause I like that look! ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a good location too... HHMM I am going to have to think about this

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Most stock pillars with airbags are connected to the car still when they go off. Their is a piece of plastic that holds the pillar on when it goes off. Plastic is like 2 inches long so that when it does go off, the pillar can move out of the way. Might be able to fab something to a new pillar to do the same so that they dont' get smashed in your face.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Boost at a min My main concern is location, It needs to be clean, not that busy and out of the way or at least tucked in, I am thinking between the RPM and the fuel gauge, I think a 52mm would fit in there nicely.

My other thought is a Pillar Pod... Is there a 08 pillar pod out there and has anyone seen or read about issues with the air bag?

Any thoughts???
I've got my boost there and it looks nice and doesn't block anything important, also quick noob question how do i put a pic in the post without it being an atttachment? I'll get a pic on here either way in a bit.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Any thoughts???
I've got my boost there and it looks nice and doesn't block anything important, also quick noob question how do i put a pic in the post without it being an atttachment? I'll get a pic on here either way in a bit.

I have a with www.photobucket.com when you upload pictures to your account you can get copy and past a "IMG" code into your post... That links a picture into the post. If you insert my post into a reply, you will see the IMG Code ;D...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone have any pillar gauge pods? If so POST PICS!!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I had one mounted between the tac and fuel before. I found it pretty inconvenient due to the fact that my left hand is pretty much always at 11-12 o'clock and blocks the view of the gauge. this made casually glancing at the gauge kind of a chore. I moved it as far to the right on the steering column as possible, close to the wiper control arm. It only partially blocks a VERY small portion of the upper ranges of the speedo from my right eye, but it is out of the way and easy to see. Full steering wheel height and telescoping adjustment can be made and the gauge makes no contact with the instrument cluster visor. I have mine mounted with an autometer cup that screws into the column cover (I have a spare cover if I should decide to move it later), though if I had it to do over again I would probably go with a defi-style cup and the defi mounting hardware (they sell a little alternative mounting kit for their cups that's like 12-15 bucks) so that the gauge can be rotated easily without having to take the gauge out and the column cover off. It appears that STRI and defi gauges use pretty much identical cups and mounting platforms, and there are a couple other gauge manufacturers out there that use the same stuff as well, so getting your hands on a compatible cup should be relatively easy.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
so i was taking my door apart while waiting for the boss to show up and let me in this morning. it looks like i should be able to mold about 3 cups into the pillar with out any issues. meaning no were near the air bag or anything. Im going to have to go about getting a spare pillar and have at it to see what i can come up with.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^ isn't the airbag in the upper most protion of the pillar?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
the Air bags usually stop right before the pillar.. or a tiny bit will be in where the pillar is. None actually go down the pillar.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That s what I thought... Hmm I wounder if anyone has produced one yet?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts