Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me your personal opinions whether you like/dislike a 52mm or 60mm. I want some insight! I can't decide which to get ><

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Depends on where you are going to mount it. If I were going with a tripple gauge pod in the middle of the dash, or something like the zerosports pod (which is only available for RHD at the moment) that sits to the left of the instrument cluster hood, 60mm would be a viable alternative if you want the gauge to be a little better. However if you are mounting it where visibility to something you want to see is possibly obscured (like my current setup), the 52mm gauge would be better. I have a 52mm because I have it mounted in an autometer gauge cup on the steering column, so it obscures less of the instrument cluster. My preference is for smaller as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I asked a vendor on Nasioc whose in the process of making a pod like the zerosports whether or not it will fit a 52mm and he said it will by default. I do plan on getting that pod if the price is right, but would the pod look weird with a 52mm gauge in it?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
There are two vendors. One vendor is actually making a LHD version of the zerosports pod, and the other vendor is making a few pods, one of which is supposedly going to be "like" the zerosports pod. They are both working on them very slowly though. Seems they don't realize that the first one who replicates something like the zerosports pod will get pretty much all of those sales of people who want the single-pod right now, which is a significant amount of people.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hey Chanke... I know you have pics somewhere of your guage. Can you post another one please ;D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Hey Chanke... I know you have pics somewhere of your guage. Can you post another one please ;D
Yah, though I actually just got rid of my STRI gauge for a Maddad gauge that I put in the same location, which I'm pretty happy about. The STRI ones don't zero out correctly, and is a common problem for them. I'll take a pic and post it a bit later.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chanke.. i too am awaiting pictures of your maddad 52mm clarity ultra. I'm thinking about ordering this one just as soon as i finally make up my mind between 60 and 52 :D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I snapped these with my cell. Quality isn't great, but you get the idea. If you need me to post higher quality pics I can, so let me know, though my camera needs to be charged.

Gauge is a Maddad Clarity Ultra 52mm electric boost gauge.

Things I like about this gauge over the STRI gauge:
-appears to be more accurate and zeroes out correctly. there is also a calibration button you can hook up that allows you to force the gauge to re-zero and everything in the gauge to re-align correctly.
-brightness is adjustable to 5 different settings (really 4, unless you count all lights off as a brightness level since you can't really see anything). you actually adjust the brightness by flipping your headlights on and off, (on off on off adjusts it one brightness level).
-the needle shows the peak value for that trip for a few seconds during shut down when you turn the car off, so you do not have to constantly reset peak value.
-the gauge is much clearer with much sharper contrast than the STRI gauge.
-needle sweeps much more smoothly and in much smaller increments than the STRI gauge. this is a big plus imo, except some people might be bothered by the very slight needle fluctuations during vacuum, though the vast majority of people probably could care less.
-color matches better than the STRI gauge.

Things I do not like about this gauge:
-the sending unit does not have very long wiring, so you really have to pretty much run the tubing through the firewall rather than the wiring. I do not like this because I prefer to keep all tubing in the engine bay, and the longer wiring on the STRI gauge allowed more options in terms of where you can run the wires and tubing through the firewall.
-the small gauge wiring for the unit is very thin and breaks easily when you are trying to wire it up, kind of a pain in the butt, but pretty minor since you really only have to wire it up once.
-the gauge takes a couple of seconds to dim. this is due to the way that the brightness is adjusted and really hardly a dislike or problem at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
np. the last pic is kind of weird and makes the definition look very poor and uneven, though that is a product of the crappy quality, not because the gauge looks like that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chanke, one last question. the 52mm clarity that you have in amber blacks out when the car is off right? cause i saw a pic of the green/white, where its white when the car is off.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
chanke, one last question. the 52mm clarity that you have in amber blacks out when the car is off right? cause i saw a pic of the green/white, where its white when the car is off.
you are correct, I can confirm that it does black out when the car is off. maybe you saw one of the other maddad gauges? Also, I have a 52mm Clarity Ultra. IIRC there are a few lesser gauges that maddad makes, though the ultra is apparently far more accurate.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
np, how are you going to mount it? I'd really like a cleaner way of mounting it. I mean the autometer cup isn't bad, but it's not perfect either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i plan on mounting it where you mounted it except on the left side rather than the right. or maybe on top of the odometer like the JDM boost gauge on japanparts.com.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
what did you use to mount it? ive got a 52mm Prosport electric boost gauge sitting at home that looks pretty much exactly the same. All these brands are just Defi ripoffs. IDC though, i dont wanna pay defi prices. I do like the placement though. I would like to do the same for myself.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I used a 52mm autometer cup. the thing about prosport is that the gauges are kind of long in comparison to most others, so you would be limited in terms of what you could use to mount it. A lot of them try to look like defis, though they all seem to be pretty different in terms of construction and quality. I don't mind, defi's look good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how much for the autometer cup? and why didn't you use the cup that came with the maddad gauge?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts