Subaru WRX Forums banner

Generic tires

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  saturn 
#1 ·
Hi all,
has anyone out there tried those generic tire brands. You know, the ones that are too cheap to feel good about? (wanli, lexani, nexen, etc.)

-RL

#2 ·
dont touch them if you wanna live... lots of case of exploding tire with those chinese brand... if your too cheap to buy decent tire you shouldnt have bought that car...

#7 ·
I agree with other posters... a $25k-$30k is worth decent tires. I hate to sound like a tire advertisement... but that's the only part of your car that actually touches the external world. Every control decision you make has to be successfully transmitted through that medium.

You can go cheap-chinese on your window tints if you want... just don't do it on a critical (or is it crucial?) component like tires.

#8 ·
True, True!!!

#9 ·
a friend of mine went for one of those cheap brands 'cause they promised a high tech tread and superior adherence for like NOTHING well the hundred bucks he saved on the tires were sepnt rebuilding the civic after one of them blew 2 weeks later ;)

#12 ·
car may be worth that much but your life and family's life is worth a lot more! Do not fool around with safety! Get good tires, get good brakes! It doesnt matter how much the car is worth, in the past I used good tires on all my cars, even if it was an old beater car.

#13 ·
couldn't agree more (altough I have no familly yet :D) and I might add you don't wanna hit the mother with her child 'cause you couldn't brake or you were out of control when your tire blew up!!! :eek:

#14 ·
You want good tires for your buck, try Federal. The 595's are great UHP with some all weather capabilities, comparable to Falken FK-452's. 225/45/17 run about $65. Or if you want hardcore summer tire step up to the 595RS, they are comparable to the Falken RT-615, sidewall is not as stiff, but still good, and theyre not as loud as the RT-615. All my friends run them and they rave about em. Im getting a set for my wrx. 245/40-18 for $85/each cant beat it.

Grass roots magazine had a great tire comparo with the, the federals were in the competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.