Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup all, I was looking to order some springs to lower my rex but I was wondering if I install new springs should I also install new shocks as well, or will the stock shocks be ok?

·
Registered
298 Posts
shocks are designed to work with a certain range of spring rates. so don't venture too far from the stock spring rate. sti pinks should be fine to use.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have had no problems with my standard shocks and new lowered springs (whiteline). If you are going to change both you would be better off buying a set of coilovers which have been matched and will just bolt right in.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright Ill prob go with a set of coilovers. Whats available for the 08 wrx? Also Do you adjust them or are they a fixed drop?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the clunking from STi pinks on factory shocks can be eliminated by torquing the strut top nut to spec (30lbs?) --- you need the special tool to do this :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Another way to do this if you don't want to mar up the shaft of the shock itself by using vice grips:

Get your socket (17mm for the fronts, 14mm for the rear IIRC) and a grinding wheel. Grind off some material from either side of the socket to make the two sides flat so you can fit an open ended wrench onto it.

Basically it's a DIY, poor-man's pass-through socket.

Using the socket & wrench and an allen key passing through the middle of the socket, you can tighten down the strut top. It's helpful to have two people to do this however; one to hold the strut assembly and one to torque down the nut.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's either that or the top hat being turned 180deg from normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts