Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

My car has 108k on it. It been a great car since I first got it in 2008. Just regular maintenance I haven't had many issues. My front right brake started grinding, at least I think its the brake/pads, I have the firewall issue which still needs to be fixed, the gearbox feels clunky and sloppy, 3 of 4 door locks have stopped locking/unlocking when the power lock button is triggered, and the motor feels a little down on power. But hey, it still looks good inside, and a nice detail will have the exterior looking good as well.
I refinanced it for a lower payment a couple years ago, so I have only a couple thousand left to pay on it. After that I had plans to either rebuild the motor or drop in a new block and chill with a stage 3 set up on a vf52 and run it for another 100k car payment free.

My current mods are in my sig + I have a Hid retrofit and just install KW v1 coilovers a few weeks ago.

However, my girl suggested a just get a new car. At first I was like hell no bc I wanted to be done with the car payments. But then the last few days I've been thinking about it more and more.

I also have a motorcycle, which honestly I interest in riding just a tad. That is mainly because about a month ago I decided to ride it to work (90 mile round trip) while my car was in for timing belt/water pump/suspension, etc. Just on the ride to work...I almost crashed TWICE on the same ride to work that morning. Now, I've had the bike since August of 2013 and have ridden it pretty spiritedly countless times but still with common sense. That is, up until that day when I lost all confidence. I am not sure if the fishtail issue was because it was just early morning and the tires/ground was still chilled (it was only 65 degrees overnight). But I left my subdivision and rode about 2 miles down to the light at the main road. I had a good bit of distance between and the next car. However, the car slammed on its brakes forcing me to do the same. I always use front and rear brakes, and this time the rear tire locked up, screeched and the rear of the bike swung out to about the 5 o'clock position. Luckily, I was still able to stop in time. But that pretty much caused me to shat my pants.

So at this point, I'm thinking, ok, maybe it was just where I was braking, the road is rather slick with oil drippings from constant traffic at that light.

Next time it happened, I was on the highway. Some douche in a new blue Chrysler 300 that was behind me pretty much 5 feet behind tailgating....floored it to go around me so I let him without issue. I'm riding behind him for a good 10-15 minutes and then the dick slams on his brakes and so I'm forced to again as well. The bike brakes like I'm riding on ice and it fishtails again...this time the rear kicks out to almost 3 o'clock so I'm essentially braking sideways. I look down at my bike and at the car ahead and the impending accident flashes before my eyes because I know I clearly won't stop in time. It was an absolute miracle of God....I saw the guys face in his side mirror and he steered right ever so slightly and all of a sudden the bike gained traction and I was able to scoot around the car within INCHES of hitting its left rear bumper. I mean my God.

While I still ride occasionally, that whole experience kinda shook me a little.

So all in all....the wrx seems to have a trade in value of about 9k-10k, plus if I get rid of the bike, I can easily afford something like a 2008 M3 or an Evo X....but should I? Should I go through the hassle of uninstalling a bunch of parts, selling those, then having to sell the bike, and putting myself into years more of car payments. But then, it will be a newer car, fewer issues, more power, and I save money month to month vs a car + bike.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I can easily afford something like a 2008 M3
I think you should read about the maintenance and the issues that most M3 owners have on the V8 M3s. BMWs are nice, but you really need to do the math on the cost of maintenance on those things. German cars are very strict about mileage and service procedures - just a basic (Inspection 2 - 60k) can run $4k.

I too dabbled with the idea of picking up a pre-2008 M3, the older E36 6cyl version. Even then those are very expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wtffff $4k for a 60k? that shit costed me $600 for the subaru. I wouldn't even want to own a vehicle that cost that much just for a 60k service. I just searched and read that a water pump change alone is 1500 wow

lol well that kills the hope of a v8 m3...that 400hp would have been sweet lol

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 09. I've decided on a 15 WRX. I want a 15 STI but two things are holding me back: 1. Not having the 2.0 FA instead of 20yr old EJ and 2. Not wanting a car payment.

I'm only at 63k miles but feel it's time for something new. I test drove the new WRX and really loved it. I figure my WRX is good for $15k plus I could get 3k easy from putting her back to stock. That plus what I have saved, I can buy a base 15 WRX cash.

I also thought about the 2014 mustang gt as the base is going for about 26k after discounts. That isn't bad for a 420hp car lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went through this at the beginning of the year with my 09 WRX. It was a great car to me, I was just ready to move on. I wanted GR STi Hatch bad. However, I ended up with an 05 STi and I couldn't be happier. I took my WRX back to stock, and sold everything that wouldn't fit the GD.

Like you, I did not want any more car payments, although I was leaning toward a used 135i until I researched the maintenance. Lol. I owned an Audi once, I don't know how I forgot about that part.

My advice would be to list out what you want from your car (be realistic) and research all your candidates thoroughly. I spent way too many hours on Bimmer forums, but it saved me from a bad choice. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've already crossed off a bimmer. So my other option is an evo x. Other than that, I don't think I have many other options do I? As far as a 4 door sports car is concerned...gotta have 4 doors.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Go 15 wrx or sti. Or wait it out for the 16 hear they are going to change body lines
This only holds true for the Impreza 2.0i models. Supposedly they are supposed to make the NA imprezas look more like the WRX concept model.

I'd imagine subaru will only update the wrx/sti body lines after the 2.0 impreza gets it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, honestly I'm not a fan of the new body style

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i have 63k on my 08 wrx. its pretty modded. my wife has a 2011 foreser 2.5. last week we bought a new 2014 legacy 2.5. im gonna drive that 3-4 days per week to work. its really a nice car for what it is. quiet as hell inside and the cvt tranny is not bad. in the wrx,im getting tired of the ride with my suspension and drving stick everyday of the week.so this keeps the miles off my wrx. im gonna be 41 yo and my 3 herniated discs in my back are telling me to take it easy these days too! getting old sucks. i couldnt see myself anytime soon selling my wrx though. i love it too much,next to the wife,lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been contemplating the same thing with my 09 wrx that has 75,000 miles. I was set on buying a new evo x gsr until I realized insurance payments would double compared to my wrx. I love the wrx because everything is upgraded, but cannot decide if I want to keep it and plan on eventually rebuilding the engine and complete higher mileage maintenance or jump to something new. Living in Georgia I don't need awd so I've been considering the 2015 mustang gt with performance pack and even a used c6 corvette, but then I drive in a heavy rain like this morning and imagine more power only going to the rear wheels and have second thoughts. The perfect scenario would be to get the new mustang and keep the wrx, but don't want to pay insurance for both. I wasn't impressed test driving a 2014 mustang gt, but maybe the 2015 will be as good as they claim and I will take the chance. Not sure if I want to wait several years until Subaru puts a new engine into the STI.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
what didnt you like about the mustang? ive heard they are pretty badass. im just soo tired of seeing them everywhere. at least with my rally blue wrx, everyone knows its me in my town. i think i have the only one. lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
what didnt you like about the mustang? ive heard they are pretty badass. im just soo tired of seeing them everywhere. at least with my rally blue wrx, everyone knows its me in my town. i think i have the only one. lol
I didn't like the handling of the mustang, but it's probly because my wrx has me spoiled with upgraded suspension and bushings. It was comfortable and easy to drive, but it felt like you were driving a boat with vague steering. That coyote engine was great and the transmission was smooth and easy to operate, but it left me wanting more. The 2015 mustang gets a new chassis and independent rear suspension so I think that will feel much more like a sports car than a muscle car. Never planned on buying a 2014 mustang, just wanted to get a feel for the size of the car, engine and transmission to see If I wanted to wait for the new model. The wrx just doesn't feel fast anymore so I figured maybe it was time to get a v8 with some grunt below 3500 rpms.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't like the handling of the mustang, but it's probly because my wrx has me spoiled with upgraded suspension and bushings. It was comfortable and easy to drive, but it felt like you were driving a boat with vague steering. That coyote engine was great and the transmission was smooth and easy to operate, but it left me wanting more. The 2015 mustang gets a new chassis and independent rear suspension so I think that will feel much more like a sports car than a muscle car. Never planned on buying a 2014 mustang, just wanted to get a feel for the size of the car, engine and transmission to see If I wanted to wait for the new model. The wrx just doesn't feel fast anymore so I figured maybe it was time to get a v8 with some grunt below 3500 rpms.
reflash the TP stage 3 map. i guarantee it will liven the car back up

·
Registered
75 Posts
reflash the TP stage 3 map. i guarantee it will liven the car back up
My understanding is that the ecu will have to relearn everything again and while it feels faster for a bit, it is not the best for the engine. Is this not true?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts