Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a nastygram to Subaru (via MySubaru) concerning the craptacular performance of the Potenzas in even a light snowfall. Complaints about the OEM tires are ubiquitous, but apparently, people are just bitching to each other, rather than to Subaru:

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with the quality of tires on your 2008 Impreza WRX. Subaru of America, Inc. strives to build a quality product and to accessorize our vehicles with adequate tires given the specifications of the vehicle itself. To that end, we feel the tires on your vehicle are appropriate. If you feel the tires may be defective, we would suggest contacting the tire manufacture for further addressing of the matter.

In the meantime I have documented your concern in our database. We use this information to track product performance. To date, we have no situation going on of which would include the performance of the tires on your vehicle. Our database will reflect your comments in relationship to this.
(Quoted from the response I got.)

So, if you hate the OEM tires, fire those complaints TO SUBARU. That's the only way to change the status quo.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I will not want them to put better tire cause they will ask more for the car and any tire they will have put in i will have removed them anyway

my Potenza have 500KM on them and i wll never use them again so.... that the first thing i do each time i get a car, 2 good set of tire, one for summer and one for winter

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
take a sheet of paper and look at it, that how much of your car that touch the ground... scary !!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yap those tires suck bad. In the snow my car will slip and slide everywhere. I've actually hit a few snowbanks, thank good snow is soft.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yap those tires suck bad. In the snow my car will slip and slide everywhere. I've actually hit a few snowbanks, thank good snow is soft.
Using those tire in winter is suicide

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will not want them to put better tire cause they will ask more for the car and any tire they will have put in i will have removed them anyway
Well, see, that's the odd part. From tirerack.com, the prices shake out like this:

RE92A Potenza: $199/corner
Goodyear F1: $152/corner
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S: $174/corner
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S: $178/corner
Kumho Ecsta ASX: $95/corner

So, at least at mail-order prices, better tires are actually cheaper than OEM (and in the case of the Kumho's, a LOT cheaper).

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Well, see, that's the odd part. From tirerack.com, the prices shake out like this:

RE92A Potenza: 9/corner
Goodyear F1: 2/corner
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S: 4/corner
Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S: 8/corner
Kumho Ecsta ASX: /corner

So, at least at mail-order prices, better tires are actually cheaper than OEM (and in the case of the Kumho's, a LOT cheaper).

yea i know that, i have a set of F1 on my SVT and that kickass... but i know they will not last nothing as near as the RE92A.... they will also be deadly in the snow, with the Potenza at less you can manage to go around at low temp. there is also the comfort which will be worst with a sportier tire

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
all-season potenzas are crap in the snow, but they are what they are: all-seasons.

if you live in an area that gets lots of snow, you should've asked your dealer to throw in some snow tires with the deal when you bought the WRX... subaru can't put nicer tires on the car without passing the cost down to consumers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
they are crap in the snow i know... but i had to bring my car to the tire shop to swap them and i drove a few KM in the snow with my F1 and its was scray !

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yeah

I recommend Blizzaks or IceBears

affordable and reliable snow/ice tires. and still "performance" tires.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i find blizzak a bit overpriced for some models, im really satisfied so far with my dunlop SP winter sport 3D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey, I know a lot of you live in areas where freezing and snow is an issue, but that OEM tire is actually a sick tire. If you live in a snow area, get studded tires for winter like most subaru owners do. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the manufacturer for putting a badass tire on the car. If studded tires are out of your price range, consider this: They are an investment that last for many years, they may save your lives, and you will love your car +1000% in the winter.

just my opinion ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
subaru doesn't just throw a tire on the car... they did research. the potenza is the best tire they can put on the car for it being a car that is sold in many different kinds of climates. it isn't a snow tire, and it isn't a summer tire. it's an all-season performance tire. it will give you good performance in most weather and will last a long time.

I live in an area where it snows and this tire does just fine except on ice and heavily compacted snow (aka ice...)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
subaru doesn't just throw a tire on the car... they did research. the potenza is the best tire they can put on the car for it being a car that is sold in many different kinds of climates.
I completely disagree. It's not even a good tire on dry pavement, and it is, by far, the most expensive all-season tire available for this car.

it isn't a snow tire, and it isn't a summer tire. it's an all-season performance tire. it will give you good performance in most weather and will last a long time.
If by "good," you mean "crap," then I'll agree with you.

I live in an area where it snows and this tire does just fine except on ice and heavily compacted snow (aka ice...)
"Except on ice and heavily-compacted snow." Guess what we get in Pittsburgh?

I was going to try to make do with the craptenzas, then, one day the week before last, I drove over just such a patch of snow (and not very fast) that set the car twitching like crazy and set the VDC light into disco-strobe mode.

Screw it. The money spent on a set of Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds is way less than the money spent repairing crash damage, and they are awe-inspiring tires.

Put it this way: I can't get down my driveway, even at a crawl, without tripping the ABS at the bottom on the Potenzas. I haven't tripped the ABS yet on the Dunlops, and I've driven in worse conditions with them.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
we get basically the same weather you get and I've only ever had trouble in snow if I mash the brakes or the gas

I agree it isn't good for snow but I've had no problems with it on wet and dry pavement. but considering most car owners don't even know to change their oil, this is a good tire for the car - it'll last a long time and work ok in most places.

but I do plan on getting dedicated winter and summer tires. the potenzas suck for performance driving.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Being an owner and involved since 2002, we have been on Subaru to change its tire since then. As you can tell...no luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we get basically the same weather you get and I've only ever had trouble in snow if I mash the brakes or the gas
Even trying to dab the brakes while going downhill (or even up an incline to a stop sign), I was getting ABS engagement with the stock tires. I suspect that all of the comments that people make about the '08 ABS being touchy is really the crappy tires losing traction. I've had no ABS engagement AT ALL with the Dunlops, and I can brake harder, too.

I agree it isn't good for snow but I've had no problems with it on wet and dry pavement. but considering most car owners don't even know to change their oil, this is a good tire for the car - it'll last a long time and work ok in most places.
I suppose they are tolerable for people who don't know any better. It fries me that even in the all-season world, there are much better options for much less money.

but I do plan on getting dedicated winter and summer tires. the potenzas suck for performance driving.
+1

Having the front push on turn-in, and then waiting for VDC to catch the car and point it in the right direction is unnerving.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
try turning off the TCS in snow, it tends to help me a lot.

but I've said this and I'll stick to it: this tire is the best option for a car sold around the world. I'm sure subaru has deals made with them where they don't pay what WE would pay retail.

I would prefer a Dunlop tire or a Kumho tire, but I don't see subaru switching any time soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts