Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow I had no idea spark plugs on a 2009 wrx were such a pain in the BUTT!!!!!

I am not new to cars or Subaru's for that matter but wow doing the spark plugs was a challenge in a half. I previously had a 2005 wrx and I changed the spark plugs a few times and it was a breeze. For some reason, there is absolutely no wiggle room at all in the 09 wrx. I am sure that if I have a swivel join extension things would have been easier but still, it was quite the task.

Just curious to see whats others though about it with their car.

Thanks,

-Daniel

PS I think the drivers side was the hardest!!!! At one point in time, getting the coil pack out was such a challenge I had to basically yank it out and ended up separating the rubber part of the coil pack and the spring came out and bunched up. I was nervous because I was thinking that I was going to have to get a new coilpack but I took tweezers and fed the spring through and walla no issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
yeah driver's side is tougher but with a universal joint and exactly a 3" extension on a magnetic spark plug socket, it actually can be done pretty quickly and actually without swearing. i know, i was surprised too!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah driver's side is tougher but with a universal joint and exactly a 3" extension on a magnetic spark plug socket, it actually can be done pretty quickly and actually without swearing. i know, i was surprised too!
Good to know. I think I may invest in these so the next time I do it things will be easier. I told my wife that it would be an hour job or so. Well 4 hours later and I was still at it. To say the least, this did not bode well with a hungry pregnant wife.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Good to know. I think I may invest in these so the next time I do it things will be easier. I told my wife that it would be an hour job or so. Well 4 hours later and I was still at it. To say the least, this did not bode well with a hungry pregnant wife.

;D ... yeah they are cheap additions to the tool box that can make a few jobs a lot easier. it's too easy to break plugs under torque while removing, seating, or installing without the right stuff. i'm glad you didn't - nice work!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

;D ... yeah they are cheap additions to the tool box that can make a few jobs a lot easier. it's too easy to break plugs under torque while removing, seating, or installing without the right stuff. i'm glad you didn't - nice work!

At one point I thought that with the coilpack coming loose and the spring coming out that it was only running on 3 cylinders. It was running extremely rough and sounded awful. Well after a few troubleshooting steps, I forgot to connect 2 of the 4 coilpack connectors. Yes I know what a rookie mistake. To say the least, after I connected them, the car was running on all 4 cylinders and was idling smooth.

To say the least, I had a bunch of OMGOSH now what moments. I am just happy its over and everything is running great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just did the spark plugs tonight....what a job! The driver's side is definitely harder than the passenger side. I had to go out and buy a new extension because it seems you need just the right size for it to be able to fit. There is also a trick to getting the coil packs out, took me about 15 minutes screwing around until I found out how to get them out! Next time should be a lot easier...ha ha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts