Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my cobb springs installed. I been notice a clunking sound when i hit big bumps. Almost sound like a metallic clunk. I searched far and wide and couldnt find anything. Anyone else have a similiar noise? And I was thinking maybe it could be the end link so i figured i would upgrade the front swaybar and end links, whats the best?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I highly doubt that the clunking is caused by the sway bar or endlinks. If the sway bar didn't clunk before, it is highly unlikely that a spring install would make it clunk now. However, if you removed one of the endlinks during your spring install it is likely that when you reattached them they weren't fully tightened up. Due to the design of the spherical bearings in the stock endlinks it is very hard to actually tighten the endlinks back up as the bearings often turn as you are trying to tighten the nut. A small-ish pair of vice grips can be useful when trying to attach the stock endlinks, but you will probably never get them as tight as they were from the factory and even a little bit of rust will make this very difficult.

So basically, if you messed with the endlinks and bar during the spring install then replacing the endlinks (with something that can be tightened to the bar and suspension a little more reliably) will likely fix your clunking. However, if you didn't touch the endlinks/sway bars then I wouldn't start messing with them till you find the actual source of the clunking, otherwise you just complicate the issue and make finding the source of the problem more difficult.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i did not touch the endlinks that was just a suggestion. Then i thought could the plastic dustboot on the strut be binding up? does it need to be trimmed? i trimmed the bumpstops. i have no clue. I have aftermarket rims. OZ superlegga's is that make a diffrence.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
A dustboot on a shock/strut should not really cause any noise. When does the clunk occur? Are you sure it is coming from the front right?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
maybe try to replicate the sound by running only that corner up on a ramp, or jacking up the rear left corner to see if you can isolate the cause of the clunk. other than that if I were in your position I'd probably pop the strut out and check the install from square one, then put it back in and make sure everything is torqued down and lined up right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey,
This is CREEPY. I installed Sti Pinks on Friday. Today while driving (for once with music off to listen to the car), I notice a clunk coming from what I think is the right rear. Only when I turn left though. maybe it is taking the load off the spring or something? We torqued correctly upon install. ??

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Still, springs will not cause clunking, a bad install will. Think about it, the spring doesn't really have any moving parts, there is nothing on the spring itself that would cause ait to clunk as long as it isn't coilbind, which would have other, much more severed symptoms Take it back to them and explain the problem. You paid for a correct installation rather than a faulty install, did you not? It should be easy enough for them to fix considering they supposedly do this for a living.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i've got a left rear clunk.. haha.. i have yet to investigate..it seems to happen intermittently when the weight is off the wheel.... i'm thinking i'm going to loosen everything up on the car and let it reposition..the hat on that side was off slightly, and the lower shock mount was a little difficult to get in.... and i need to recheck the sway bar endlink.. i was having a tough time keeping the allen in the end to tighten..

·
Registered
646 Posts
dude i have same clunk in my front right...i really wish i could find out what it is...ive tightened every bolt in that area...and its killing me

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe becuase my top part isnt exactly lined up with the bottom of the strut like how it came off. I never marked it just kinda winged it. Any way on lining the top and bottom up perfect?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a memebr on nasioc posted this.
Originally Posted by Cuppster View Post
Did you line up the front spring mounts properly? With the top hats off, the top spring mounts (in front) have two holes that should be lined up with the strut mounting tabs on the bottom. If they're not lined up properly, your springs will be noisy, depending on how misaligned they are.

·
Registered
646 Posts
wow...makes complete sense...damnit i do not want to take that off agian..ahh...ill see if this works :-\

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have a slight tapping (wouldn't call it a clunk) in the right and left rear after I put in STi pinks

I'll check that!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts