Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order the AccessPort and Perrin Stage 1 software, but the way things have worked out, I didn't have quite enough money to get that, so I have to wait another month (grr).

So today I went by the dealer, since the parts dept is open on Saturdays, to see what they could get the SPT exhaust and STI springs for (given the $305 and $158 price online). Figured I'd order those instead.

So... they wanted $60-something each for the springs, so I'll be getting those online instead. But the exhaust was only $333 AND they had one in stock!! I asked if they could do a little better on the exhaust price, and they dropped it to $299. So ka-ching! I brought it home.

The car is up on ramps and I'm waiting for it to cool down so I can install it. I'll post again when it's done.

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay. it's on!

Man, that was the easiest exhaust installation I've ever done. It's pretty much impossible to screw up. Removing the stock exhaust is a matter of removing four 14mm bolts and undoing the exhaust from five rubber hangers.

Installation of the new system is a matter of slipping the intermediate pipe in place and into its one rubber hanger, and reusing the two existing bolts.

The muffler slips onto the four rubber hangers, and you use two new 17mm bolts and the exhaust gasket, and you're done! Super, super simple. I did it by myself in about a half hour (that's the time to remove the old system and install the new one). I had the back of the car on ramps; I didn't even need to jack up the front of the car.

For those of you who have seen the video/audio clips that illustrate the sound, I can say it sounds exactly like the clips.

It's louder than I thought it would be, but not bad. It's louder than the Borla exhaust I had on my LS1 Camaro Z28. I'll admit I'm used to the sound of a V8, so I'm not sure what to make of this thing yet.

On the highway, there is a very silght drone at cruise. If you turn on the stereo, you probably won't even notice it. I hope it doesn't become annoying; we'll see. I know that after a few hundred miles, the tone will probably change a little as the muffler packing "breaks in" so we'll see what happens.

Power... I had expected to lose a little low-end throttle response due to the lower backpressure, but that wasn't the case. It feels stronger all over the power band, and makes more power up top where it needs it so badly. I would guess it is worth the 10 hp Subaru claims, maybe more.

Rob

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
how about another sound clip...

·
Registered
327 Posts
This was for the hatch right? Glad to hear another person got theirs. I just placed bought an exhaust from a dealer in CT that had 2 in stock and should have it by next week. (As I had placed an order at my dealer 4/6 and still had no better idea on when it would be here rather than "few more weeks".) :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I installed mine today as well (sedan), and it my experience matches yours - louder than I was expecting, but with an extremely gratifying deep throatiness to it. It sounds like I have a V8 under the hood now. Did not notice any change in performance, but I didn't really take it through any paces.

My wife now official hates the car. :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll admit the sound is growing on me. It doesn't sound at all like a riced-out Honda, which is nice. I do like the deep, throaty sound. I find myself winding it out a bit more to hear it.

As for performance... I read somewhere on here (or maybe it was on NASIOC) where it takes a few days for mods to really be noticeable, like somebody who put in the AccessPort with the Perrin tuning (which I want). After a few days with it, it feels even stronger than it did after first installing it. Even my nasty surging throughout the RPM range has decreased a little.

My wife hasn't heard it yet; she will this weekend, so we'll see what her reaction is. Shouldn't be too bad; I just bought her a new Forester last weekend. :)

Rob

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any surprises during install? Or is it pretty much straight forward? Did a new gasket come with it, or did you reuse the old one?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reread my install post and all those questions will be answered. :)

But in short:

14mm & 17mm socks
14mm wrench
Can of WD40 (to lube those rubber hangers)

And yes a new gasket is included.

Installation is extremely straightforward. Took me less than 30 min to remove old system and install new.

Rob

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can't wait. UPS says that mine was delivered today...but I won't see it until I get off work at 6 8)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more tip... there's a piece of paper in there that tells you to use Windex to wipe off the system before starting the car the first time. Listen to it. I used gloves so I didn't have to worry about fingerprints, but either way, you shoudl wipe off the mufflers and the pipes with Windex and paper towels, because otherwise they'll become permanent once the system heats up.

So again, wipe off your shiny chrome tips and the mufflers to remove any grease and fingerprints before starting the car the first time.

Rob

·
Registered
43 Posts
i called around and found one about an hour and a half away form me in stock they shipped it this afternoon woo hoo.. i cancelled the one i ordered elsewhere

·
Registered
230 Posts
Got mine and installed it today. VERY happy with it. The wife will hate it lol.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well got it installed. It was super easy like was posted before. It is definetly loud. Whoever said it was "a bit more than stock" was not talking about this exhaust. At idle it is noticeable. It is very deep, which is good and bad. Inside it almost is like a subwoofer deep...not horrible but definetly noticeable. When you get on it, holy cow hang on...it sounds amazing. It so far is a tad too loud for my tastes(keep in mind before installing this I had been running no mufflers for a few weeks-had my own custom "delete"). Definetly doesn't sound ricey, and the boxer rumble is noticeable everywhere in the revs.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
^^thanks for the impression. I was really hoping that they weren't going to make it quite as loud as they did. I like the sound of the hatch exhaust, but the sedan exhaust just seems too loud. Maybe someone will make a quieter exhaust system that is still relatively free flowing at some point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Threw mine on yesterday, after having a stage 2 bugeye which was nice and loud, this one isn't nearly as loud.. it has a very nice deeper tone i'm a fan. can't wait to mate it up with a 3" Invidia :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that I've had it on almost a week, it seems like it's getting quieter. Normally I might figure I'm just getting used to it, but I was at my sister-in-law's yesterday, and while backing out to leave, I figured it'd be really noticeable, echoing off their garage doors and stuff, but it wasn't. It just sounded good.

I think with a few miles on it, it will break in and actually not be quite so boomy.

Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just installed SPT exhaust on my 5-door rex today.

It's a little louder than I expected.
Enough where idling through the work parking lot was turning heads.
Hit the gas, and :eek:

The engine runs a bit smoother - flows more nicely.

But yea. It's very, very noticable.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well got it installed. It was super easy like was posted before. It is definetly loud. Whoever said it was "a bit more than stock" was not talking about this exhaust. At idle it is noticeable. It is very deep, which is good and bad. Inside it almost is like a subwoofer deep...not horrible but definetly noticeable. When you get on it, holy cow hang on...it sounds amazing. It so far is a tad too loud for my tastes(keep in mind before installing this I had been running no mufflers for a few weeks-had my own custom "delete"). Definetly doesn't sound ricey, and the boxer rumble is noticeable everywhere in the revs.

Well after having it installed for 5 days I am falling in love with it. It seems as though it might have gotten "tamed" over the past few days. Only had the oil burning smell for 2 days. The sound has gotten a little quieter, a little more acceptable for me. It is still deep, and it does not sound 1 bit ricey. All of my buddies have complimented me on it. In addition to the sound it looks great too! When you get on the car it sounds amazing. I was running a bit late to work and was getting on it a bit(and hit two stoplights at the front of the line) and it just comes alive when you get on it. I swear the butt dyno says 0-60 is faster, but we'll see when I dyno it again later this year. The SPT catback + avo cai = FTMFW! ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts