Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, yes this was misspelt on purpose. I have found an OEM unbranded kit that is the exact same unit and box/kit just half the price. - dont want any unwanted attention to this.

I got one on ebay US, but there has been some interest in a Group Buy.

For info on what it is, and how it looks, go here: GrimmSpeed Air Oil Separator Install 08+WRX / LGT

I have sent the supplier an email asking if they are interested in hitting some low price targets for 5+ and 10+ units. I can get bulk shipping from the US cheap and domestic shipping too through my company account (yes my company, not ripping off the boss)

One thing for sure is that it will be less than $160AUS Delivered - The Gr1mspeed branded unit goes for $330+ here in Aus.

So drop an 'I'm in' here to commit to the base numbers required for this ripper deal.

FYI, this unit stops the pumping of crankcase ventilation air (containing blowby oil residue) back into your pre-turbo air intake. it re-routes this ventilation via a collector that mounts to your oil filler cap, dropping any airborne oil, back in with its buddies where the oil goes!

1: It 'may reduce oil consumption' but thats a secondary effect
2: the primary reason to have this is to stop oil residue building up inside your intercooler (and on turbo compressor blades) which helps keep the I/C efficient.

Crawford Performance (Builders of the Ken Block 'Monster' Gymkhana STI's) has this item listed as a mandatory fitment to any performance setup they do to keep detonation risk building up over time up to a minimum by keeping IC clean.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Gr1mmspeed Air Oil Separator Kit

- Crawford spec their own external 'catch can' style AOS, not this exact one, but this is the least intrusive, and most efficient type there is. The clean look of this AOS (no decals) keeps a stock look too with no wild branding for the 'Po Po' to point their torch at if they flip your hood for a 'random' inspection.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That is a lot of connections for failure, is this really neccessary with mild mods?

Not being negative, that is a genuine question.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Understand your wariness there tasksta. Being as there is not a lot of pressure on the connections I wouldn't personally worry myself. The actual gains far outweigh the amount of connections. In any event you would be setting each connection with a cable-tie for piece of mind. That's the way I see it anyway correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By no means an essential item! The blowby air transported by this system (which contains oil particles) aint particularly important to the operation of the engine from a safety perspective. if a hose comes off it will just blow warm air out into the engine bay, not high pressure or anything. its really an emissions thing that the blowby has to be either burnt or reabsorbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

this air is not measured by the MAF or anything so wont affect AFRs if a hose comes loose like a with turbo/ic hose. These lines carry bugger all pressyure, I cant see one of these hoses coming loose, they are tight as! they go on easy in this vid as the joints are oiled. Imagine a person breathing out normally through this pipe, thats about the pressure they see.

It really is not an essential item for any car mildly or wildly modded, but every little bit helps when trying to maintain an efficient cooling intake tract. if it helps with oil consumption too, then you are less likey to end up with a dry sump and spun bottom bearings between oil changes.

if you arent tuned to a higher performance level including boost etc.. which gets you closer to the knock threshold. its completely a discretionary item, but every little bit helps when it comes to trying not to blow up an engine!

I just like getting out the spanners really ;-) and this just gives me another reason to do that, while being good for the car too.

Sparky

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for the educated answer which is very rare on WRX forums!

I'll second that.

It really is not an essential item for any car mildly or wildly modded, but every little bit helps when trying to maintain an efficient cooling intake tract. if it helps with oil consumption too, then you are less likey to end up with a dry sump and spun bottom bearings between oil changes.

And that's why I want one! :)

And yeah, I like spanners too. ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah get into it guys, the supplier has agreed to $120 if we buy 10 and $135 if we order 5. Plus the split share of getting the box from the US which will be about $30 total And maybe $5 each for a domestic express post satchel. If we struggle to get 5 in another 10 days I will just put you in touch with the supplier. They charge $155 each for one off purchases plus $25ship to Aus.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Will this fit an MY09 Forester XT? If Yes, I am in!!!

Sorry guys my Betty is gone!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Fish jetski what happened!?!

Forester is a nice ride though and still sounds the goods, any planned mods or leaving it stock? (your not going to leavie it stock are you ahhah)
I popped into Croydon racing last weekend and they had a green one on the dyno.. and it was making some serious power, this thing sounded like it had a dog box installed!

·
Registered
92 Posts
We had both the Rex and the MY09 XTP already - Baby came along and I ended up driving a Ford Falcon. This stuff goes in cycles, so I am sure I will rejoin the fold eventually.

Just had the Forester modded with K&N, Stealthback Dump Pipe, Tune, RSB, FSB, Endlinks, ALK and Strut Brace. I also dumped the Geosquealers that came with it and got Continental UHPs. It drives like a different car. Dyno is only 138KW ATW, but it handles almost like my Rex did without compromising the ride and looks 100% stock so I got what I am after whenever I get sick of the falcon.

Anyway - I don't want to highjack this thread.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay, I was waiting until we had 5 to work out a shipping deal, but thats good you arranged some for youselves in the meantime - I got mine ages ago so I was really just sharing the source. The seller for this item on ebay US (http://www.ebay.com)
Agreed to $130 plus shipping if we were buying 5+ units and $115 if we ordered in a group of 10+
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEED-AIR-OIL-SEPARATOR-AOS-08-10-WRX-05-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a1312dfcdQQitemZ180708630477QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Even if shipped individually, and shipping were $25 per unit to get to Aust (Guestimate) this is still a decent deal for anyone wanting to get themselves one of these cool Gadgets.

Cheers,
Sparky

1 - 17 of 17 Posts