Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on it for a 2 weekends. It is definatly not as easy as i though. I used the gutter guard and its thick mesh so kinda hard to work with. I messed up the first gutter guard so had to buy another one. At first i painted the lower part "dark grey" but it wasnt dark enough, so i painted it flat black. But the finish was rough so I added a coat of clear coat so now its shiney which i dont really like that much. Let me know what you guys think, im thinking of repainting the lower part like gunmetal grey. Still waiting for the paint to dry so probably install it next weekend along with my supertones ;D .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Grill finally completed

I think it looks pretty nice how it is right now. However, once it is on the car it may not look as good. What color is your car? I have been wanting to do this same thing but haven't had the time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My car is WRB. I wonder if it will look good if i color matched the lower part WRB.

·
Registered
577 Posts

I think it looks great! cant wait for install pics.... should look good on the WRB

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I looked at pics of the STI grill, and looks flat black, i wish i never sprayed the clear coat on :-[

·
Registered
79 Posts

My car is WRB. I wonder if it will look good if i color matched the lower part WRB.
That'd probably look better then the black. But throw it on there and see how you like it. You can always repaint.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

With school and work, i wont have time til friday to install the supertones and the custom grill. Snaped a few more pics with the supertones behind it, some nice red boobies.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Hey bro, can you give us a little more detail on the how to? I am planning on following in your footsteps and saving some money over getting the sport grill. How did you attatch the mesh to the back? How does it all go together? In the DIY posted by the guy in singapore, it looks like the frame comes apart in 2 peices, but that grill is different than ours in the US... so what can we expect when we tear ours apart?

·
Registered
164 Posts

bump...

any help xazneclipsex?

did you see any other options for materials at the hardware store? gutter guard seems to be the standard, but everyone says how rigid it is and hard to work with.

i was looking at the stuff grillcraft uses for the lower grill, and it looks different than this.... any ideas?

and yea, if you happen to be able to give any insight to the prcedure, that would be great.

·
Registered
164 Posts

0000047121 said:
whats the point of those circles lol.....but seriously
they are horns. hella supertones. have you ever tried our stock horn? its kinda pussy... its funny, this mounting location seems to be a very popular upgrade for impreza's/wrx's... unless im mistaken and theres something else similar looking that people put behind the grill commonly...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, its been awhile but i finally had some time to play with the grill. I painted the whole thing flat black and turned out pretty good. I think i like it better then the sports grill. Also installed my Hella supertones at the same time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
have one suggestion.

look at the bottom part of ur grill, can still see part of the blue bumper. if these parts are spray black, it will look better to me. ;D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Looks really great :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sweet mod! i have an '08 DGM Sedan that i will be doing the same thing to my stock grill after seein your post! Thanks for the idea

1 - 20 of 23 Posts