Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SORRY, BUT WE'VE DECIDED TO CANCEL THIS GROUP BUY... not enough interest was generated in the time span. Please PM us for individual pricing.

Thanks for viewing!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: Group Buy: Invidia CATTED Downpipe 08 WRX

I'm there..............

·
Registered
164 Posts

any idea if this will be cali legal?

·
Registered
577 Posts

any idea if this will be cali legal?
highly doubt its cali legal.....nothing in this state is legal. :-[

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

does this void the engine warranty?
Just about all aftermarket parts void your warranty. The only parts you can buy that don't is SPT. And up until recently, SPT parts voided the warranty as well. :-[

·
Registered
164 Posts

now wait, just because you install an aftermarket part doesn't mean your whole warranty is voided. The burden of proof lies on the dealership to prove that the part you installed caused the damage you are trying to get your warranty to cover. They can NOT tell you they wont fix your ac compressor because of some aftermarket suspension or something.

Anyway, out of curiosity, what would be the reason to buy a catted dp if you didn't need the cat for smog reasons? What I mean, is why would anyone buy a catted dp if it wasn't cali legal... why not just buy a catless dp? OR... does the catted dp pass emissions in OTHER states that a catless dp would not?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

now wait, just because you install an aftermarket part doesn't mean your whole warranty is voided. The burden of proof lies on the dealership to prove that the part you installed caused the damage you are trying to get your warranty to cover. They can NOT tell you they wont fix your ac compressor because of some aftermarket suspension or something.

Anyway, out of curiosity, what would be the reason to buy a catted dp if you didn't need the cat for smog reasons? What I mean, is why would anyone buy a catted dp if it wasn't cali legal... why not just buy a catless dp? OR... does the catted dp pass emissions in OTHER states that a catless dp would not?
Yes, you are correct that a downpipe wouldn't void your warranty on a ac compressor, but if a piston lets go or your turbo malfunctions any aftermarket part that's engine related would indeed void the warranty. Just like a stage 2 aftermarket clutch would void your powertrain warranty. The only way to get around it is to install your stock parts before you go back to your dealer looking for warranty repairs.

Basically you'd buy a catted downpipe to reduce emissions (and noise slightly), they may or may not pass depending on other mods you may have. Every car is different and will produce slightly different emissions.

·
Registered
102 Posts

is there a noticeable difference in power between a catted and a non catted downpipe? thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts

changing or removing an emissions control device that isn't broken is technically illegal nationwide for on-road use. so putting on a catted or catless downpipe and driving around is illegal. a catted downpipe will probably pass emissions which is typically the only checking any state will do. however, some places will just check your ecu so if you've got something to fool the ecu, you'll pass emissions even without cats.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

I've read a ton of posts that say a high flow catted DP passes smog. However, if your state does a visual inspection and the tech knows what he's looking at, you might fail and never even get to the testing part. You know you will fail catless regardless, so catted gives you at least half a chance of passing. Also catted keeps the noise down.

The guy who does my smog sticks the probe in the exhaust and runs the test. So I'm pretty confident with catted I would pass. YMMV

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

is there a noticeable difference in power between a catted and a non catted downpipe? thanks
You'll definately see more gains on the catless version over the catted... about 5-8hp more depending. While the catted version has a high flow cat, there's still some restriction vs. catless.

·
Registered
183 Posts

what kind of gain would i see with the cat down pipe and catback exhaust

1 - 20 of 22 Posts