Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you wrx guys know that if you are starting to go past sti levels of power that this is one of the best mods I have done. I was getting so much engine movement that it was hitting on my tmic and giving me a false cel. You will get a little more vibration in the stearing wheel, but nothing unbearable. I installed Group N (sti) engine, tranny, and pitch-stop mounts. This gives the car a much more percise feel, and and controls while turning are not upset by the ebgine flopping around.
Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know you installed all 3 mounts so it may be hard to tell, but do you know how much NVH the tranny mount by itself might add? Also, how difficult was it to install the tranny mount? How much labor time should it take a good mechanic - I probably won't put it on myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I ran full compliments of Group N bushings/mounts in both my 02 and 04, I noticed very little increase in NVH over stock- so I don't think you have any worries w/ the tranny mount.

You can do the tranny mount yourself- pretty easy (there is no risk of the tranny falling on your head or anything :D)- install would be under one hour

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looking through the shop manual for the 08 WRX, they make it sound like changing the engine mounts is a much bigger deal than changing the tranny mount. In fact, the only time you find them referencing removing the engine mounts is in Step 30 of the full procedure to remove the engine completely from the car. Anybody done this swap that can provide some insight?

·
Registered
651 Posts
it's done the same way as previous gens- I think there is a full write-up at scoobymods

basically it requires the engine to be jacked up high enough to remove/install the new mounts. it is not an easy install because of the complete lack of room to work, not difficult as it's straight forward, not complicated

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i installed the group n engine and tranny mounts myself in my garage a couple of weeks ago. yes, the engine mounts are a PITA to change out and good luck w/ the install to anyone who attempts it themselves. this is due to the steering rack and crossmember being right in the f'n way. there is an install DIY i found in nasoic when i went searching for an easier way to do it. it didn't make it any easier, it just told me that basically their is no easy way around it. i jacked the engine up the bare minimum just enough to do it because i didn't want to pinch or damage anything else. it might be easier if you jack the engine up more but i didn't want to chance it. if you do install them yourself... do the engine mounts first so that you don't have to flex the crap out of a new stiff tranny mount. i don't mind turning wrenches at all but i was SO done @ the end of the install.

now that they are installed, the car feels so much better as kashimoto stated previously. i also noticed that the whole feel of the car is increased by better feedback to the driver's seat but that maybe partially due to the fact that i installed a cg lock @ the same time. gone is the hurky jerky acceleration/ decelleration and the shifter also feels alot better too.

i just ordered the AVO Gearbox Mount Bushings, Whiteline Rear Differential Bushing Inserts, Whiteline Rear Differential Bushings and Whiteline Rear Sub-Frame Lock Bolts to finish off my mount/ insert/ bushing overhaul for the time being. there is more i would like to do but i don't want to change my geometry again right away because i still have a "fresh" wheel allignment.

hope this helps for any of you DIY'ers :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
you probably just scared some DIY's off :D

it appears that the 09 has liquid filled mounts in the front- I know folks (lots of STi guys for sure) have had issues w/ the liquid mounts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are the stock engine mounts really that bad? I do plan to do the tranny mount. I use to break them all the time in my 99 Z28, well atleat 3 times in the time I owned the car. I was looking today while I changed my engine oil. Car on ramps, jack for the tranny and air tools, looks like a easy day to me. I dont really get scared of hard to get to items, bolt on stuff is usually self explainable. The Navy made me a good parts changer in my early airmen days. Like you mentioned patience is a virtue in most PITA cases.

·
Registered
651 Posts
the STi guys were having a horrible time w/ the liquid mounts giving up. evidently several dealers were replacing them w/ Grp N ones :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, I have installed the tranny mount, engine mounts and pitch stopping rods. I definitely can't tell any difference in NVH, but I can definitely tell a difference when shifting. The lurch that was always present when going from 2nd to 3rd especially is almost completely gone. I would definitely recommend doing the tranny mount to everyone. I have also ordered Whiteline's Positive Shifting Kit (should have done that at the same time as the tranny mount, but oh well), as well as several other sets of suspension bushings that Whiteline sells, their ROC kit, their steering rack bushings, and their Anti-Lift Kit. I'll post an update about when they're installed.

I'm not sure that the engine mounts/pitch stopper are doing anything great for me yet, but I haven't done any power mods. Also, as an FYI to those out there (like myself) who were scared away from doing the engine mounts as a DIY, I had my local Subie dealer do the engine mounts, and they charged me 2 hours of labor to do it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Are the 'Group N' mounts covered by the subaru warranty? I know most aren't too concerned with this, but I am. I have seen them around and have wondered if they are covered as the SPT parts are...

joneSi

·
Registered
651 Posts
not sure "officially", but I know dealers were installing them (Grp N engine mounts) on failed STi liquid mounts as part of warranty service :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i am not sure about warranty but i do NOT think the the mounts will ever fail, they are as tough as nails.
Well, could the mounts be blamed for any other type of failure? That is the big question for me, not if the mounts themselves will fail.

joneSi

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't see how. Would be kind of sh1tty IMO that you go to the dealer, buy SPT parts (maybe even have them put them on) and then the same dealer denies your warranty

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I don't see how. Would be kind of sh1tty IMO that you go to the dealer, buy SPT parts (maybe even have them put them on) and then the same dealer denies your warranty
Hmmm...maybe I'm not being clear. IDK if the 'group n' parts are SPT parts exactly. I want to make sure that a dealer has no recourse because they are in fact considered 'factory'. If they aren't, and lets say I have trans problems, they don't blame the mounts and screw me. I have to be quite careful with the dealer I have....

joneSi

1 - 20 of 28 Posts