Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone gutted the cat after the o2 sensor?
is it a good idea for bad??

·
Registered
298 Posts
i'd say just replace it with a straight pipe (custom or aftermarket). cats are expensive. if you ever want to go back, you'll be spending $600ish for a new one (though i'm sure you could buy one off someone putting on a straight pipe for a lot cheaper ;)).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont rl;y have the money...so i was thinking about gutting the firstone...it would be the same as a test pipe obviously not as big or spooth pipeing. like would i trip a CEL or somethin?

·
Registered
298 Posts
i dont rl;y have the money...so i was thinking about gutting the firstone...it would be the same as a test pipe obviously not as big or spooth pipeing. like would i trip a CEL or somethin?
gutting anything after all the o2 sensors won't throw a CEL, anything before them will. i don't know where the o2 sensors are exactly on the wrx. you can always get some spark plug non-foulers on there for a quick fix if you do get a CEL ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
i wouldn't gut it because first the material the cat is made of will give you cancer and second unless you gut it completely to thepoint of it being smooth flow through you will lose hp due to the turbulance generated by the left over material. Also Import tunner did a fact or fiction write-up on it in there newest april mag showing some dyno#s though it was on a N/A miata. besides like it was said earlier safeing it just incase you need it for the state inspection is best.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Travis hit the nail on the head. A gutted cat disrupts the laminar flow of exhaust gases & produces turbulence that slows down exhaust gas evacuation. You will see no performance gains from it. I forsee O2 sensor issues also. Either keep the cats as they are or replace w/ a catless DP & hope the cops & dealership don't notice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts