Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H&R Springs vs. Swift Springs

So here is what I know so far....

H&R:
-5% (cruising) to +35% (compression) progressive rate spring
-1.4" drop FR/1.3" drop RR

I've known H&R for good quality and a nice ride.

MSRP: $349. Actual: I've seen them for $209, $230, and $259+shipping.

Swift:
-185lb/in (fr) & 171lb/in (rr) linear rate
-1.0" FR/RR (for the 5-door)

MSRP: $379 Actual: Around $300

I haven't heard much of Swift, although linear is nice for predictable track use. May be more harsh on the road. Surprised at the cost, since linear is usually cheaper than progressive.

So now that I've restated the facts found on some other threads here, who has seen the best deals on either of these? It seems like the H&R is a better price in the low $200's and should provide a smoother ride for daily driving, but it is a little lower than the Swift (too low? need camber bolts?). The Swift seems nice and it has a mild drop, but are they really worth $300??? The spring rate is almost the same as the STi Pinks at $158 right now, so you are paying basically another $150 for an extra .5 drop in ride height.

Anyone else have any info to chime in? Help me decide between the H&R and the Swift! And if you've seen a crazy low price deal, post that up too!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: H&R Springs vs. Swift Springs

I would go for swift... imo 1 inch drop is perfect for our 08s... i wouldn't buy anything lower than that... esp when the springs got settle you probably will gain more drop... i was thinking to get swift springs but when i know that the STi pinks on SGP are the same as the JDM one i went with that instead...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

I bought the STi springs too. I was kind of spooked about lowering the car too much after reading some stuff here and on NASIOC. When I saw the STi springs were only a moderate drop, and the ridiculous introductory price it was too good to pass up. Still though there are die hard fans of all these springs wherever you go. I don't think there is really a "bad" choice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I guess I don't want this to be mistaken as a style comment, but for performance sake, lowering the center of gravity is a benefit too. Do the STi springs still produce as dramatic as a stiffness and performance improvement with only a .4" drop? I know the Swifts are considered moderate at 1" and have the same spring rate as the STi.

I am just playing devil's advocate because I don't like spending money twice...I know the STi spring deal is crazy cheap (and I could prob afford to do fr/rr sways with the cheap springs), but it seems like a barely noticeable drop.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

I hear ya on that. A lot of it is pretty subjective anyway.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

I guess I don't want this to be mistaken as a style comment, but for performance sake, lowering the center of gravity is a benefit too. Do the STi springs still produce as dramatic as a stiffness and performance improvement with only a .4" drop? I know the Swifts are considered moderate at 1" and have the same spring rate as the STi.

I am just playing devil's advocate because I don't like spending money twice...I know the STi spring deal is crazy cheap (and I could prob afford to do fr/rr sways with the cheap springs), but it seems like a barely noticeable drop.
I'm in the same boat! I just can't decide... I don't want the cobbs to be tooo low, and the Sti's drp is only .4. I think H&R might be my choice.. But the Sti's R SO cheap!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I guess I made a quick decision....just couldn't resist the STi pinks so cheap. ;D :p My dealer wouldn't match the $158 (said Subaru pricing is $200), but they did knock 10% off so I got them for $180 locally. That should even out with what it would have been shipped from SGP.

The H&R's will be nice I'm sure (prob much nicer than the Cobbs....not by experience, but from reviews of the Cobb vs reputation of H&R). But they are 1.4" (35mm) drop so not much different than the Cobb (1.5", 38mm).

With those two being nearly the same, I really think the Swift is the middle of the road drop. But with those being the same stiffness as the STi pinks, I decided to sacrifice the extra .5" difference in drop to save $150....I will use that cash to get sways.

I think overall, the STi Pinks teamed up with RalliTek front and rear swaybars will make for a nice combo.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

going to use pinks and rallitek front and rear sways also...

I got the pinks and front endlinks...now i just need bars and rear-endlinks, waiting for a slightly better price similar to initial sale price or a group buy of some sort on rallitek stuff.

·
Registered
333 Posts

im getting cobbs and the rallitek sways. why? because i want:

a) much lower ride
b) flatter turns
c) a good DD in my bumpy as hell town

so, that being said, cobbs provide slightly stiffer rate and significant drop and rallitek sways (which wont be a problem on most of my road issues) will give it better handling through turns. is it rally-ready? of course not. is it good for around town? hells yeah

if i was auto-xing id go for the swifts probably, but i really think my subie needs the drop.

·
Registered
220 Posts

H&R's have a lower drop than advertised. (Around 1.8" front, 1.5" rear).

I have the H&R's and do like them very much. I live in a TERRIBLY pot-holed pitted shitty-paved town. The H&R's handle the roads quite well and I have had zero rubbing issues. People seem to forget that a progressive rate spring may indeed travel LESS than a linear rate spring, even when the progressives are lowered significantly more. For DD use, some sways would make this setup PERFECT.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

going to use pinks and rallitek front and rear sways also...

I got the pinks and front endlinks...now i just need bars and rear-endlinks, waiting for a slightly better price similar to initial sale price or a group buy of some sort on rallitek stuff.
this is the exact setup I'll be using. I already have the springs...I'm waiting for GB as well for the rallitek stuff.

Though I have little experience with H&R springs, those that I knew that had them on their Civic Si's loved them, though I never drove one with them...most of them were all about Auto-X...are these springs more for the track-stars?

joneSi

·
Registered
128 Posts

A WRX's COG is already only 1cm higher than that of a Miata thanks to the boxer engine (this was from one of the SOJ engineers during one of the press events last year). In performance terms, it's much more important to combat front body roll on a Subaru than it is to lower it. Lowering any car is always a trade-off when it comes to driving on the street.

My 99 2.5RS still has the oem springs on it.. despite autocrossing it for several years in STS. It's got a huge front swaybar (25mm) and a medium sized rear bar (19mm)... and it handled so well around the cones that lowering it wasn't ever in my plans. In fact, with the exception of the JDM STI Gymkhana springs (extremely low and ultra stiff in the rear.. listed as 'track only') all the lowering springs available for the 93-01 Impreza had far worse front/rear spring rate biases (obviously I'm not talking about coilovers) than stock. Time and time again, I outran more powerful Subarus in my mostly stock RS (including a field of STX WRXs at one event and winning my class at a Subaru Challenge)... nearly all of them were lowered.

There are a lot of factors that go into a proper spring choice for those of us looking for performance. I'm not expecting miracles from the STI Pinks (that are supposedly sitting on my doorstep right now!) or any of the other aftermarket springs announced thus far. I'm just hoping that the Pinks will satisfy my ride quality needs for my daily commute. If I decide to autocross my WRX more in the future, I'll be saving up for some ZZXZY Motorsports coilovers. If we're lucky, some aftermarket parts company will come to the realization that the rear suspension, in becoming more compliant, can use a much stiffer spring to entice these cars to turn well without destroying the ride quality. *shrug*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts