Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dealer screwed up my paint and denied they did it so I'm stuck fixing it.

got a rattle can of obsidian black pearl made by a local paint dealer... here are the results:

still have to buff out the runs and then do a clear coat. I'll post pics of the ongoing process. the 08 factory paint is junk.

·
Registered
988 Posts
dealer screwed up my paint and denied they did it so I'm stuck fixing it.

got a rattle can of obsidian black pearl made by a local paint dealer... here are the results:
How much did that obsidian black pearl made by a local paint dealer cost?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$19 for a large rattle can

it was Sherwin-Williams
they have a store that ONLY does automotive paints... so if you go into a normal SW store they won't know what you're talking about unless you have one in your city that is the same and only does auto paint.

·
Registered
988 Posts
^^^^^^^

Damn I don't think there one in MA.

Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
I look it up and theres few in MA. This is great i'm going to get some next week.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keep in mind:

- it's automotive paint (not enamel like normal spray paint)
- it's just a base coat (you'll need to buy separate clearcoat)

if you've never painted with automotive paint before, I recommend looking up some information

if you're getting obsidian black pearl metallic (what the 08 WRX 'black' is) -- the code you'll need is 32J

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rear area

like where the gas filler door is but the opposite side

also, update: turns out they didn't mix the paint right ... so I'll have to start all over.

after one layer of clearcoat I noticed the new paint was actually GREY and not black... also note the cloudy streaks from the humidity! (they gassed out eventually)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went to the paint store and they remixed the paint to the right shade of black and gave me TWO cans for free. wow.

I'll be outside painting ;D

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm going to get a sti wing and try to paint that.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just make sure they match the paint first. if they mix it by Subaru's specs, it'll come out grey (they list too much white for the mixture) -- that's what I had to have them do... they ended up mixing a lot less white into it and it matches perfectly now

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'll have to remember that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts