Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could some of you post pictures of your "fixes" for the chrome trim on the hatch? i've heard of replacing it with a painted STI piece, applying various types of overlays, and (obviously) repainting the stock piece. could we gather some examples of each here? i am mostly interested in seeing how well the bodyshop repaints look. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got mine painted at the local body shop before a replacement part was available. It cost me about $200, which is on the expensive side, but I am happy with the results. They did overmask the Subie logo because it wasn't removable, so the chrome oval is now black, but, as I said, I am happy with the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Parts ordered and painted from SGP. I'm very lazy, and like to have stuff done for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zoid, the painted trim looks great.. by the way, where did you get the the tail-light tint from?

ckzik, i'm with you, i'm afraid to mess around too much myself with a brand new car

·
Registered
0 Posts
I got mine painted at the local body shop before a replacement part was available. It cost me about 0, which is on the expensive side, but I am happy with the results. They did overmask the Subie logo because it wasn't removable, so the chrome oval is now black, but, as I said, I am happy with the look.
dude yours is a WRX or STI.. sorry but it looks like WRX from here with sweet twin exos... what brand are they?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is a closer shot of the rear chrome piece painted. Might be a little dark.

The tinted tails are coated with Lamin-X film and they are the lightest smoke colour they sold. I think 93% of the light comes through. I have had them this way for about 3 months and so far no hassels. At night, with the lights on, they just look like regular tail lights. If followed just step on the brakes to let the person behind know that the tail lights function perfectly.

Dual exhaust is a custom 3" cat back using a late model Camero muffler made by Magnaflow. It has one 3" in and two out, on which I put two inexpensive Ractive chrome tips. I bought all the parts at Overseas Auto just of Main St in Vancouver. I removed one small resonator and I am very pleased with both the sound and the noticeable extra power. Down pipe, up-pipe and reflash at Rocket Rally next.

Attachments

·
Registered
0 Posts
your dual pipes are sexy as hell !!
too bad i got a FGK exo on the way.. if not i might just try out your method... just too sexy !

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Here is a closer shot of the rear chrome piece painted. Might be a little dark.

The tinted tails are coated with Lamin-X film and they are the lightest smoke colour they sold. I think 93% of the light comes through. I have had them this way for about 3 months and so far no hassels. At night, with the lights on, they just look like regular tail lights. If followed just step on the brakes to let the person behind know that the tail lights function perfectly.

Dual exhaust is a custom 3" cat back using a late model Camero muffler made by Magnaflow. It has one 3" in and two out, on which I put two inexpensive Ractive chrome tips. I bought all the parts at Overseas Auto just of Main St in Vancouver. I removed one small resonator and I am very pleased with both the sound and the noticeable extra power. Down pipe, up-pipe and reflash at Rocket Rally next.
Very nice indeed. Is there a wesite for those tail light overlays?

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a web site for Lamin-x and I believe it is Lamin-x.com. It will certainly come up if you Google it because I bought the film on-line for about $60

·
Registered
67 Posts
i painted it myself..
1 can of adhesion promoter
1 can of base coat
1 can of clear
1 pack of various grit sandpaper

total cost about $45....

www.automotivetouchup.com

wasn't too hard. just sand it to remove the shine from the chrome, then one good coat of adhesion promoter, 4 coats of base, and 4 coats of clear... trick is to make sure everything is super clean and lots of thin coats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts