Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

trying to figure out what to do with that "stimulus" check...and i figure getting a new head unit is a good way to spend "free money" right? ;) I'm looking at the Alpine CDA-9887...any of you audiophiles want to chime in and let me know what you think...or if you have any other recommendation i should consider. I'd be doing my audio upgrade in stages: stage 1: head unit, stage 2: speakers, stage 3: sub and amp...

really just looking to see what you all think in regards to head units, which one you'd get and why.

thanks
-b

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Do your stage two will be with speaker + Amplifier ?

With this car i will rather go with a doubledin unit, even if its not a dvd screen
For my car i decide to built my setup around the OEM Premium unit for many reason...
- I have OEM Sirius
- I have AUX in
- I have steering control
- I have a 6 in-dash chargers
- It flow with the car and its part of my stealth sound system project

So my Stage 1 consist of a RF 3Sixty.1 for the OEM unit integration to a Focal amplifier powering 2 set of 6.5"

BUT if i had to change the unit for an aftermarket (no DVD) i will go with a Clarion DFZ675FC and match it with the red color theme

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have the CDA-9887. I really liked it a lot!! I'm actually switching to a Clarion MAX385VD. I also have JL Components front & rear. a JL 2150 for the front and a 1200 for my JL W6 sub. I love it all!! Fills the cabin very very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks courteau,

i have the premium setup currently. so i would be replacing aspects of that over the course of several months...due to financial constraints and what not. that clarion unit is wicked looking...might be a bit much for me, but it's still sweet. According to crutchfield's site...it won't fit our car, but crutchfield's been wrong before. the alpine unit i was looking at can be made to glow red...in fact, it can be set to blue, green, orange, red, or a combination there of. most of the double din units i saw were a little over the top, and i'm not a fan of touch screens cuz they're constantly getting smudgy...stoopid passengers and their greasy hands...GRRRR. Every 6 disc changer I've had was a POS...the changing mechanism seems to wear out over time...not cool. I want to make sure that I get something that's not going to mess with the "flow" of the interior, but I want to make sure that I can still use the steering wheel controls, connect an ipod, and hook up to sirius

-b

·
Registered
6 Posts
Concerning swapping to a single din..

I shelved a pocket din cubby that works with the previous impreza setups.. Would it work ok in the new one or would the color be totally off?

I guess I should ask, for you guys going to 1-din aftermarkets from the 2-din OEM's, what are you filling the extra din with?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was planning on having a little cubby under the unit, figured it would give me a place to put stuff...like my wallet, iphone, or whatever. as it stand now, the only place to put anything is in that little space in front of the shifter, or in the cup holders (the center console has my ipod since that's where the aux jack is...and when i get the new unit, was plannin' on runnin' the ipod connection into there since it's easier to access than the glove box). since i usually keep my sunglasses in that area in front of the shifter i don't want to put anything else that that will slide around and scratch the lenses...so adding a cubby under the 1 DIN unit would be ideal, and i believe the metra adapter comes with the cubby to "fill" the extra space left by switching from a double to a single...someone correct me if i'm wrong.

-b

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
if i was doing a Single DIN setup i will definitly use the Empty space to put 3 nice little gauge :) Boost-A/F-oil press.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing with gauges......found out there isn't enough room to fit them without chopping up the dash a bit. I'm gonna have to come up with another place to put them. Hmmmmm????? :-\

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm just realizing the opening in the dash is not a standard two-din. I've only sat in the car once in showroom.

Well, I guess the metra kit looks somewhat ok.. Haven't checked to see if it's relatively secure and well bolted down for the head unit, or a sloppy kit that just uses the cage. I'll have to investigate this further.

Looks like the impreza's aren't the standard din setup they used to be unfortunately.. some marketing genius decided to slip that in under radar to fit in their proprietary head unit faces. Brilliant. That's just lovely.

Ah there's hope.. for some cash.. The JDM dash kit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, if i end up going double din i'd definitely try to get the JDM dash kit rather than the metra...it's just cleaner. hmmm, wonder what a single din would look like with the JDM kit...didn't even consider it til right now...IDEA!

-b

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the JDM kit, it looks like you'd have two standard single dins.. I think.. (keywords).
So what you might be able to do, is use the $20 subaru door cubby possibly, or maybe just a black full single din cubby... OR one of the single din cup holder things I keep seeing on ebay... OR... guage panel maybe ontop, radio below. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
that pic above is from my car. I got it From japanparts.com. They sell the cubby as well on there if you want it. If you dont want the cubby you can get a 3 gauge-pod trim that will fit in the single din.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts