Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a chance to install these bad boys this morning. I made the mistake of testing them while the car was still in the garage. They're LOUD! The wife wasn't too happy. ;D

·
Registered
0 Posts
honk honk! hehe... so have to take out bumper to access the honk area huh? coz have a pair of old horn which i wanted to put it in but still trying to figure out how to access the honk! ;D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I definetly need to get those for mine. So many neighbors to piss off so little time before i move to AZ. ;D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
honk honk! hehe... so have to take out bumper to access the honk area huh? coz have a pair of old horn which i wanted to put it in but still trying to figure out how to access the honk! ;D
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to get the grill off so I just removed the whole bumper.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
make a DIY!
Yeah, I should have taken more pictures throughout the install. It was a pretty simple install, especially for a novice like myself. I basically followed one of the diy on nasioc, there are a bunch of them on that site and they pretty much are all the same. The only difference was the removal of the front bumper.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definetly need to get those for mine. So many neighbors to piss off so little time before i move to AZ. ;D
Lol. If I ever move out of my neighborhood, I'm definitely hitting the homes with the noisy dogs. ;D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hey is your I logo is the standard size like the older impreza ? where did you got it from ?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the air horn from this:

or

EDIT: the first one is still on youtube the owner just disabled embedding -- click MENU and copy the url for it and go to it yourself to see

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
hey so i really wanna get those hellas.

but i am noob to the max.

how hard was the install? would it be worth it for me just to get the $45 harness?

http://www.lightwerkz.net/prod_subaru.htm
(scroll down)

or do you think im up to it considering i have no idea what tools i have or where the nearest electronics store is...

(ive seen the DIY at nasioc but it seems complicated... havent put too much effort into figuring it out but yeah...)

thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Don't bother with the harness. You can have these things wired and running within 30min. They come with fairly straightforward directions. Scoobymods also has a good writeup on how to not only wire them, but install them on the front of the car (albeit and older MY)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
you can even go the simple way and just intall the hors with out using the relay, just plug the horns in usin the stock conectors and then ground the horns.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't need the harness, just follow the instructions. While they it may seem intimidating reading all the diy's out there, it's a pretty simple install. I would use the relay if you want the full effect of the horns. This mod is a good starting point for you to learn without screwing up your car. And if you get stuck during the install or have any questions before you get started, that's what 3GWRX is for! ;D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
they don't come with relays but you could buy your own and wire them up if you really want to do that... it will only give them a little bit more (reliable) power.

you may need a soldiering iron or some other wiring supplies to split the main wire into two.

you shouldn't have to drill anything if you use the factory mounting locations on the radiator support -- the kit SHOULD come with a couple of metal brackets. though you could drill your own spots for custom mounting locations.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
automotive parts stores will have relays

a relay is exactly what you'd think it is...

the "switch" (your car horn button in the steering wheel) normally connects via the fuse box directly to the horns...

but in the case of a relay, the relay carries the load; it's connected to the "switch" (steering wheel), a power source, and the hella supertone(s)... when you press the horn button, you actuate the relay, which then actuates the supertone via it's power source.

like I said, only reason to get this is to squeeze out that little extra bit of power and to have a more reliable power source, but for the number of amps the factory horn is rated for, you SHOULD be able to just wire the supertones into the existing factory wiring and they'll work just fine. don't worry about relays unless you're super paranoid.

however, make sure your battery is disconnected when you're working with the wiring on the car. you don't want to blow any fuses or melt anything.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
mine came with a relay.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts