Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! After months of research and shopping I finally bought an 08 WRX Hatch, base trim, Lightning Red. $20,700 out the door. I plan to keep it mostly stock for now, while I research what mods I would like to do. It'll be a mix of performance and appearance, hopefully. Undecided if I want to go for the sti style wing and grill like 09s have. As for the performance mods.. I have a family, and it's my daily driver. The car will never be tracked. Everything I do has to be considered in light of noise and comfort trade-off. A few questions..

For sure I will get a tune. Only question is if I'm putting parts on soon enough to wait on the tune or not.

1. Cold Air Intake. I've heard some people say the 08 intake design is a bit restrictive and aftermarket is the way to go, others who say there's no benefit. Is there a consensus yet? It's OK if it needs a tune after.

2. Exhaust. I didn't like the sedan SPT sound.. too loud for me. I've been told the hatch SPT exhaust is quieter? Are there aftermarket tbe systems quieter than SPT? I do not want catless. Basically, I would like a free-flowing but stock-sounding (or just slightly louder..) exhaust. Not sure if that's possible :)

3. Suspension. I'm thinking going with the spt pink springs for the drop while not sacrificing much in the way of comfort. Will then add sways and endlinks. I've heard Kartboy would be a good choice for front endlinks. Any favorite manufacturers here? Or any other springs to consider?

4. Tires. The stock tires suck, and they are NOISY. I'm looking at all-weather tires as I don't want to deal with two sets of rims and the tpms. Bridgestone Potenza 960s have been recommended. I checked out UHP all-seasons on tirerack and they were rated the best, so I think that's what I'll go for, but I'm open to feedback.

For those of you that frequent NASIOC and wrxtuners, I've been asking the same question over there. You don't have to reply here if you did there :) I just believe in over-researching before making my purchase. Sort of the financial version of measure twice, cut once :)

Thanks for any and all feedback!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi everyone! After months of research and shopping I finally bought an 08 WRX Hatch, base trim, Lightning Red. ,700 out the door. I plan to keep it mostly stock for now, while I research what mods I would like to do. It'll be a mix of performance and appearance, hopefully. Undecided if I want to go for the sti style wing and grill like 09s have. As for the performance mods.. I have a family, and it's my daily driver. The car will never be tracked. Everything I do has to be considered in light of noise and comfort trade-off. A few questions..

For sure I will get a tune. Only question is if I'm putting parts on soon enough to wait on the tune or not.

1. Cold Air Intake. I've heard some people say the 08 intake design is a bit restrictive and aftermarket is the way to go, others who say there's no benefit. Is there a consensus yet? It's OK if it needs a tune after.

2. Exhaust. I didn't like the sedan SPT sound.. too loud for me. I've been told the hatch SPT exhaust is quieter? Are there aftermarket tbe systems quieter than SPT? I do not want catless. Basically, I would like a free-flowing but stock-sounding (or just slightly louder..) exhaust. Not sure if that's possible :)

3. Suspension. I'm thinking going with the spt pink springs for the drop while not sacrificing much in the way of comfort. Will then add sways and endlinks. I've heard Kartboy would be a good choice for front endlinks. Any favorite manufacturers here? Or any other springs to consider?

4. Tires. The stock tires suck, and they are NOISY. I'm looking at all-weather tires as I don't want to deal with two sets of rims and the tpms. Bridgestone Potenza 960s have been recommended. I checked out UHP all-seasons on tirerack and they were rated the best, so I think that's what I'll go for, but I'm open to feedback.

For those of you that frequent NASIOC and wrxtuners, I've been asking the same question over there. You don't have to reply here if you did there :) I just believe in over-researching before making my purchase. Sort of the financial version of measure twice, cut once :)

Thanks for any and all feedback!

FWIW - aftermarket freeflow drop-in air filter will perform well as well. up to 320 horses on the wheel . eg pipercross and blitz.

for quiet performance exhaust - sorry, have not encountered sedans here. it is not offered where i am.

ive been using the whiteline sways and am happy with it. stock endlinks .. works well with me.

for tires - for performance and comfort - Michelin Pilot Preceda2 would be my best choice. Fitted my 08wrx with neovas, and find it stiff.

have fun with the mods!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
welcome to the forum!
1. Cold air intake, not necessary and wont net you too much more power even with a tune. And it can get noisy (anything close to a 1/4 throttle will produce the turbo "sucking" sound). The stock airbox will be more than enough for your needs/goals, unless you really do want the turbo sound.
2. SPT is probably the quietest exhaust you can get. But if you plan on getting an aftermarket downpipe in the future, it will get a bit loud with the SPT. So if youre planning to go with a downpipe, perhaps stay with the stock catback? And get a 08 premium/09 WRX exhaust tip?
3. The STi pinks (not SPT) will keep the ride comfort.
4. RE960s are pricey but are damn good. They currently ranks #1 on TireRack's survey. My cousin has them on his S2000 and they are a great tire, but really pricey.
No offense to the folks that enjoy NASIOC, but the answers you get there may not be specific to 08/09.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts