Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to put on new springs yesterday on my 08 hatch but got stopped up b/c I couldn't remove one of the lower shock mounts in the rear. I tried 3ft breaker bar, 600 lb-ft impact, PB-blaster, screaming and cursing. All did me no good. Anyone have similar problems? I couldn't find anything through search, but maybe I wasn't searching the right terms. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem, hard to get anything on it. I actually put the end of my cheater pipe onto my floor jack and pumped it up until it popped (pipe was slipped over a combination wrench on the bolt not the nut), loosened the nut to the end, lifted the arm with my floor jack, hit it with a hammer to drive it out then used another bolt to knock it the rest of the way out. I stripped every nut that I had to take off, good thing the STI springs came with replacements. It was a pita...

·
Registered
675 Posts
That bolt is serously a pain to get out. I used an impact socket that i had to pound on with a hammer cuz the bolt was nearly stripped. Then a breaker bar with about a 4 foot extension. FINALLY the bolt came out. All i can tell ya is alot of muscle is needed to get that bolt out. The worst that could happen is ya snap the bolt head and you have to drill it out or have someone drill it out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I appreciate the responses. Good to see it's not just me that couldn't get enough leverage on that POS.

So another, slightly related question, but how did you guys torque the shock and knuckle bolts after the car was back on the ground? Or did you just torque them before you dropped it down. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Mine came off real easy with impact socket and wrench on one side and open end wrench on the other. It did not move when I only used the impact on one side, but the combination of the 2 made it come loose way easy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
For some reasong when you say knuckle bolt i'm drawing a blank. But as far as the bolt for the shock i impact wrenched/guned the shit out of it when i put it back on before it was on the ground. I couln't find an exact torque spec for it. Someone said 125 someone said 175. I figured screw it the impact gun slamming it on will be fine. No problems so far.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By knuckle bolt, I mean the bolt that is on the lower control arm just to the outside of the shock bolt. It attaches the lower control arm to the knuckle. I had to remove that bolt to get the rear shock/spring assembly out of the car. I've read the torque spec on both the shock bolt and the knuckle bolt is 125 lb-ft but I did the same where I used the impact to tighten it while still in the air. I guess just re-check all the bolts in a week after things settle...

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah that impact gun magically knows the torque spec for everything....TIGHT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts