Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently installed my SPT catback, and I was looking at getting a DP. But, with fall here and winter around corner, and being that I live in Canada, I'm deciding to work on my suspension instead. I'm already on spt pinks. So I know this has been a widely debated topic already, but I'm looking at getting rid of that understeer that all subies are cursed with. Ive dealt enough with sways to know that bigger is alway better, most people don't seem to realize how bigger sways drastically changes your cars characteristics, but this is my first AWD and I'm just looking for some advice as to what combo would be best to get a bit of oversteer. I don't want the car to behave like a RWD but a hair of overstear would be nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"with sways to know that bigger is alway better"

sorry meant to say: Bigger is not always better

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The whiteline bars offered a good bit of neutrality, at least when you aren't hammering the throttle. They are 22mm front and 20mm rear. They are still a little thick for my taste for street use though.

You could always go with the rear sway bar off of the STI (18mm I think), and if that's too much for you you could upgrade the front to the 21mm bar off the 09 wrx. That is what I would do if I were doing it over again, but my car is going to see a good amount of gravel and very snowy roads so I will be keeping the suspension pretty soft relative to most. If I lived in an area with good roads (like FL or something) I would have no problem with the whitelines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
shocks i think :D (just throwing another idea... since everybody says sways)
and if you would like you can play w/ the wheel camber settings as well.

someobdy correct me if i'm mistaken, but a bit more negative on the front should make the car lean towards over steer

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
well, the camber probably won't result in any real oversteer, but it won't plow as eagerly when you enter a turn. You can get camber bolts pretty cheaply which will let you adjust the front camber.

The rear is a much more expensive proposition, though you probably wouldn't benefit by any adjustment at stock height. The only things I could find to adjust the rear camber are some arms that agency power makes ($500+) or camber bushings from Whiteline ($100+). The bushings don't really seem like a very good way to adjust the camber though.

You could also play with tire pressures.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
well, the camber probably won't result in any real oversteer, but it won't plow as eagerly when you enter a turn. You can get camber bolts pretty cheaply which will let you adjust the front camber.

The rear is a much more expensive proposition, though you probably wouldn't benefit by any adjustment at stock height. The only things I could find to adjust the rear camber are some arms that agency power makes (0+) or camber bushings from Whiteline (0+). The bushings don't really seem like a very good way to adjust the camber though.

camber bolts already come on the front from the factory. i do believe that they can be installed on the back struts as well. if they can it would help dial out the understeer. as mentioned by someone else... go with adjustable sways and dial up the rear a little stiffer. i installed some sub frame bushings and the rear end is just a little tighter and kick out a it easier too. my car is VERY neutral but oversteer can be induced. VDC off obviously.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
shocks i think :D (just throwing another idea... since everybody says sways)
and if you would like you can play w/ the wheel camber settings as well.
someobdy correct me if i'm mistaken, but a bit more negative on the front should make the car lean towards over steer
Neg in the front, and towards zero to the rear would do this.
Another thing to note ths whether you want the oversteer induced by throttle or off-throttle situations.
Sway bars will do this more dramatically on off-throttle situations i.e. turn-ins but more tuning is required for the on-throttle situations, if you want more oversteer than the power-over forced oversteer at the corner exits.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i fixed my understeer problem by putting some rear struts.
What did that do to your corner entries? Braking becomes off balance then. Nose dive because the front is soft compared with the rear. Unless you also adjusted for a slower rebound rate in the rear as well to compensate for the weight shift.
Just curious.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Some slight toe out in the rear would help with rotating the car...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still iffy about what sways I'm going to with, but yeah the aftermarket rear struts are a good idea, and I've also heard really good things about Whiteline's anti life/camber kit to reduce the movements. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
421 Posts
What did that do to your corner entries? Braking becomes off balance then. Nose dive because the front is soft compared with the rear. Unless you also adjusted for a slower rebound rate in the rear as well to compensate for the weight shift.
Just curious.
Thanks
The problem i had initially was a car that understeers in all scenario. My car had several stiffening bars already, just short of the rear strut bar.

I deduced the problem to be cos of the stiff front chassis due to all the bars i've installed on the car.

I went back look at the products in the market and found the cusco rear strut bar (1 in the boot) to stiffen up the rear. That fixed the understeering problem.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

The rear is a much more expensive proposition, though you probably wouldn't benefit by any adjustment at stock height. The only things I could find to adjust the rear camber are some arms that agency power makes (0+) or camber bushings from Whiteline (0+). The bushings don't really seem like a very good way to adjust the camber though.

camber bolts already come on the front from the factory. i do believe that they can be installed on the back struts as well. if they can it would help dial out the understeer. as mentioned by someone else... go with adjustable sways and dial up the rear a little stiffer. i installed some sub frame bushings and the rear end is just a little tighter and kick out a it easier too. my car is VERY neutral but oversteer can be induced. VDC off obviously.
I wasn't aware that we had camber bolts up front from the factory. I don't think you can use camber bolts in the rear. The old WRX's could use camber bolts to adjust camber on both ends, but the new ones can't due to the fact that they are no longer macpherson struts in the rear. Think legacy. The legacy guys have used adjustable control arms in the rear, and I know agency power makes some for our cars, though they are pricey. I wish there were more options than that and the whiteline bushings. Bushings just don't seem like a good way to adjust camber to me, especially since it requires the adjustment of two bushings on each side. Though, I have no personal experience with them so they might very well be awesome.

I've used adjustable control arms from a company called Ingalls in the past. They make solid, reliable stuff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and I believe they are located in CO. Maybe once people start modding the 3rd gen wrx's a little more they will make something.

The rear strut bar still seems kind of pointless to me, though the feedback we've seen about it has made me a little curious. Maybe I'll get one at some point, though there are a couple other braces I want to get first (lower front end h-brace, and the ones that are similar for the rear, but are split up into two separate braces). My goal is durability and overkill chassis stiffness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have Cobb bars and they make a big difference. The car is SOOOO much better to drive with bars...It turns like it should. It makes it pretty easy to trail brake into a nice slide. As for oversteer, I doubt your car has enough power at this stage, not to mention no LSD.

If you happen to be in Vancouver I would be happy to take you for a ride...

Cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can get camber bolts for the rear i have a set coming in for my car tommrow they allow you to adjust ur rear camber from -1 to +1 degree. They are made by a company called MOOG.. Im gonna try them out and i will repost and let everyone know how it goes

·
Registered
954 Posts
You can get camber bolts for the rear i have a set coming in for my car tommrow they allow you to adjust ur rear camber from -1 to +1 degree. They are made by a company called MOOG.. Im gonna try them out and i will repost and let everyone know how it goes
whats the moog part number and where did you get these from?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts