Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

I'm a former 02' Civic Si (EP3) owner that is looking to get back into the tuning world. I had quite a bit done to my Si like, turbo, suspenion and various other power mods. I had to trade it in because of my commute in the winter months. I went with a Nissan Xterra, when gas was like 2.90 a gallon (7 months ago). I now live only 10mins from my new job and doubled my salary. I still want AWD vehicle but also want to own a tuner car. I'm almost set in stone to go with a WRX but i have a few questions regarding my future plans with the car.

My goal as of now is 300-350 whp and to do the suspension/rims to my liking. Now the issue i have is the 09 with it's power/suspenion upgrade should cost roughly 25k, and i'm seeing 08's go for as low as 19k-20k (i would imagine it'll drop another 2k or so when the 09's hit). I'd like some advice from people so i can have an idea if the price difference is large enough where i can put the extra 3k or so to reach say 330whp and some suspenion mods(the other2k-3k). Or is it very possible to hit 330whp without many major upgrades with the 09's.

So i think what it comes down to is, will the amount i save on an 08 be enough to compensate what the 09's potential is if my goal is roughly 330whp. I currently don't know enough about the transmission/motor capabilities on subaru's. I know more about the honda world.

P.S. I don't wanna get into engine internals just yet. Not sure if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hey Proktacos... Welcome

It is my understanding that the 265HP that Subie is quoting is at the crank not at the ground, you will loose 20 - 25% (that number is debated) getting the power to the ground. With that in mind you are looking at approx. 215whp. To get 300+WHP it may take more than 3K to accomplish that goal. Once you get to 300+ WHP, you will most likely be looking at a new tranmission or at a min a new clutch.

Also from what I understand, and from what I have read on other fourms that 25K is a low estimate, Subaru is due to release the price on the 25th of this month.

Personally I hope they do not come in at 25k for the 09's that would be a slap in the face to the 08 owners.

Also some 08 owners are pretty touchy when it comes to this subject. ;)

That is just my .02

Again Welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I realize those numbers are crank numbers and not actual whp. The reason i asked is because for me i know what needs to be done to achieve certain whp numbers on some honda builds. But when it comes to subaru's but more specifically AWD i'm kinda in the dark. When you say new transmission do you mean an Sti transmission or are there other options? Other than that i guess the best thing may be to keep doing more research till I know more about what the WRX's are capable of. Thanks

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There are companies that offer Stage II, III & IV packages Perrin has a Stage II Package Here is the link

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/471

I realize that this is not an for an 08 wrx but to give you an Idea of what is out there

http://finelineimports.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_6_25_183_186

There are not solid numbers that XX DP with XX CBE will give you XX gain in WHP. IMO you could be looking at Stage III to get 300+WHP = TBE, Turbo, Injectors, TMIC or FMIC, intake, fuel pump, PROTune and so on...

Personally I am looking at Stage II and stopping there. This is my daily driver and I commute about 70miles round trip a day. I have to be a little consertative with it. When I say a new tranny, I am not looking to get to that kind of power level, that would really affect the tranny. From what I understand the clutch is the weak link in the system.

I gotta say that there is alot of info on this board, and people are very friendly.... Do some research, ask around on the board and you will get better idea of what out there for the 08...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Mmmmm..... porktacos.... gotta say, i am the biggest pork fan in the world! :p i work in a muslim country and usually i bring 30-40 lbs of it in w/ me to work. welcome to the forum bro! imo, i think you should get the 09. you should be able to get some decent #'s out of it w/ the larger turbo. alot of the suspension stuff will be covered as well from the factory so you can focus on the whp goals first. i had to do my suspension work first which chewed up some of the whp money. torque output increases are more prevalent with mods on the wrx. after all, it is the torque we want to feel most. i think i am about 275 hp and around 325 ft/lbs torque @ the wheels now but i have no way of confirming that without a dyno. i do not have access to an awd dyno anywhere near me because i live on an island in the north atlantic. i am running a stg2 setup ( cobb accessport and tbe) which will cost you a minimum of $1000 w/ an 09. you should be able to obtain your goals quite easily w/ the 09. hope this helps a little in your decision making.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Been reading a lot on these cars and I'm getting tempted to go straight to the dealer and pick one up. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
just wondering, where are you getting your 19-20k figures? i bought my 08 about a month ago for 29k out the door. it has a decent amount of options but i really think 19-20k is kind of low for a wrx. but 300+ whp with a wrx is gonna cost you quite a decent chuck of change. you might wanna look into just getting an STI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There were 3 or so within a 75 mile radius from my location that were 19k-20k not the premium package. between 3k-10k miles on them. Not brand new, sorry if that was misleading. But anytime i see a sticker i take off atleast 1k in my head, but that is not the case with the ones i mentioned, those were listed at that price. Also, i was at my local subaru dealer today and they had one WRX and i said how much is that going for (sticker said 27.5k-premium), his response not more than a minute later was, "I can get it for ya for 25,000," that tells me even brand new this guy will go sub 25k with the premium.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts