Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done HID lighting through www.lightwerkz.net Its a pretty sweet deal cuz we still have the projecters for it, wondering if anyone has done this yet?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I've done it with ebay HIDs

be careful what you buy! you want 4000k-5000k for normal "white" light

6000-7000 will be blue

and anything above that will be dark blue to purple and will NOT be as bright and will actually strain your eyes

I ordered 5000k but they shipped me something higher but refuse to return it as defective... but they're OK I guess especially since I'm installing some huge rally lights pretty soon anyway.

the cutoff is pretty good (you won't blind other drivers) and installation is relatively simple. I mounted my ballasts on the fender wall inside the engine bay using the crappy metal mounts they supplied.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah these ones are 200 and fit right in the projecters thats all the do is retro fit 04-05's with these up grades....

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
mine were $50 + shipping

they were dirty and had fingerprints on the glass, but I cleaned them so all is good. they're made to retrofit into the existing bulb type and use the car's own power with only an inverter in between.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
for my hid's i went ebay...70$ shipped ;D...they work fine...12000k
wow... i hope you will never have to drive at night with those....

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yeah like I said, anything above 6000k you're only gaining useless color -- light's luminosity goes DOWN as the temperature/color goes UP...

2500k = pure yellow - good for fog / low vision
4000k = yellowy/white light - optimal
5000k = white light - near sunlight - optimal
6000k = blue/white light - like fluorescent tubes - "OK"
7000k = blue-blue light - dim, but still "OK" I guess
9000k = blue-purple light - dimmer
11000k + = purple light - horribly dim
this is bordering on light that is almost totally useless except in scientific applications

if you're going to get lights above 4000-6000k for your headlights, at least get some decent halogen driving lights

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
it's not about flicker, it's about luminosity and eye fatigue -- purple and blue light is actually not as bright as white and yellow light, and will actually cause your eyes to tire quickly

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
this is why it's important to stay in the 4000k-6000k range (yellow-white-blue) because as soon as you hit deep blue and purple you're losing light and gaining pretty colors that make it hard to see.

not to mention it's distracting to other drivers (even if it isn't glaring)

you should be ok though as long as you aren't out in the country where it's totally dark. get some nice driving lights. the OEM subaru ones are junk -- put some Hella Micro DEs -- they fit in the WRX fog light mount and will hook up to the existing wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Ugh I drove my car in a rural area the other night for the first time and the stock lights are way dimmer than I'm used to. I'm seriously considering this upgrade. What's a good site to read up on how HID hooks up. What kits are you guys buying off ebay?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
basically it takes the plug that goes into your bulb that's within the light fixture, brings it outside the fixture, plugs it into a ballast box which you have to mount somewhere (there's one for each bulb), then that leads to an HID bulb which is retrofitted into a halogen bulb socket so that you can properly mount it into your OEM headlight without modding anything. all you really have to mod is the cap that goes on the back of the headlight (so wires can run through it to the ballast and back in to the HID bulb)

get it? it's really simple.

I'd say go on ebay and look for HID-outdoor-equipments (the store) -- but they sent me PURPLE lights and refused to exchange them for white (since they claimed they "did" send me white then denied that the purple lights I had were theirs)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
So 9005 6K?

And high beams will still work? For $100 it may be worth trying so long as they send me the correct bulbs...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
look for the kits that are $70-80
the "slim ballast" ones aren't worth the extra $20 -- the slim ballast isn't much smaller and will have issues with power

yes the brights still work because they are separate from the main low beams

but keep in mind if you always leave your headlights on, when starting the car the HIDs may not ignite properly due to inconsistent voltage - you can fix it by turning the lights off and back on again to re-ignite them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i have 10000k, there not to bad. install was easy, mine are off ebay. i can see with them, its a little on the dim side, but most of my driving is in cities and such and if im somewhere where i need light, its only a flick of the highbeams away, so im not to worried about it

·
Registered
700 Posts
also make sure you check there feedback rating on ebay... i always make sure they have good feedback and have sold alot of items before i buy

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the bulb types are listed as a sticky topic... it's been asked about 100 times haha

also it's in your owner's manual (it's a good read, you should check it out)

·
Registered
24 Posts
look for the kits that are -80
the "slim ballast" ones aren't worth the extra -- the slim ballast isn't much smaller and will have issues with power

yes the brights still work because they are separate from the main low beams

but keep in mind if you always leave your headlights on, when starting the car the HIDs may not ignite properly due to inconsistent voltage - you can fix it by turning the lights off and back on again to re-ignite them.
Is this a common problem as far as one head light not igniting? I just did the kit over the weekend and sometimes only one will come on, i then have to turn my head lights on and off like 5 times before the other one comes on. is this what get too?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts