Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just went w/ a 6000k kit. Bulbs, convert. box, and wireing harness.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i have a 6k HID kit. Great improvement over stock. Cutoff line isnt PERFECT but it is still pretty good. It is bright but doesn't blind oncoming traffic. Had mine if for a while, haven't got flashed yet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i have a 6k HID kit. Great improvement over stock. Cutoff line isnt PERFECT but it is still pretty good. It is bright but doesn't blind oncoming traffic. Had mine if for a while, haven't got flashed yet.
Think you could take a shot of the cutoff?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Go on ebay and type on XENON HID kit they are in the 60-70 dollars after shipping price range. They are the exact same ones from this website: HIDWORLD.COM Im a moron and hooked them up and totally forgot to unplug my DRL's so one of the ballasts blew. I wrote the guy on ebay and he already sent out the ballast. They've got a 2 yr warranty on them for both the ballasts and the bulbs. I have a few buddies that have them on their rex's and they all swear by this site. But if you use ebay you will be getting the exact same kit for like half the price compared to if you were buy them off the website. I should have the ballast soon and will take pics when they are in.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I bought 5000k kit from seller HID-outdoor-equipments on ebay for $50 shipped -- it's a no-name ballast and the bulbs had fingerprints on them. but I cleaned them with alcohol and have had no trouble since.

the cutoff is good. you'll need to re-align your lights (make marks on a garage door with painters tape, install the hids, then adjust to the old lines) -- HID bulbs have a different light shape and will project differently...

the light is good and no one has ever flashed me. I only wish the seller sent me 5000k instead of 7000k or 8000k .... they're purple! I'm trading them in for true 5000k though (they have a 1 yr warranty/exchange policy)

some photos:

·
Registered
502 Posts
There is no need to disable DRL because they use the highbeam. I have 50watt 5000K hids without using a harness, once in a while the left side doesnt fire up, I think its because I am not using a harness.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
that happens because of the power fluctuation when you start the car. I avoid this by leaving the lights off until after I've started the car. you could avoid it with some capacitors or something like that (same as a stereo setup) but that's a little complicated for a $50 set of cheap HIDs from ebay. if you're going to spend that much, just get the OEM HID headlights from an STi.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
maybe he means ballast???

but even a ballast won't stop the power fluctuation... like I said, for that you'd need some capacitors to hold a steady power level... otherwise the HIDs won't have enough to ignite.

also, check your bulbs! sometimes they have the tips broken off which will lead to bulbs that don't stay lit correctly... which MAY be your problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
maybe he means ballast???

but even a ballast won't stop the power fluctuation... like I said, for that you'd need some capacitors to hold a steady power level... otherwise the HIDs won't have enough to ignite.

also, check your bulbs! sometimes they have the tips broken off which will lead to bulbs that don't stay lit correctly... which MAY be your problem.
So if he's using them w/out the ballast then what good are the ballasts?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
they prevent the smaller fluctuations ... but I mean... when you're starting your car it's basically like turning off your lights. the starter sucks up all the juice from the battery.

maybe the ballasts are cheap?

I've always just kept my lights off until I start the car. it's better for the battery and starter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
they prevent the smaller fluctuations ... but I mean... when you're starting your car it's basically like turning off your lights. the starter sucks up all the juice from the battery.

maybe the ballasts are cheap?

I've always just kept my lights off until I start the car. it's better for the battery and starter.
Yeah, same here. Sounds like a better battery would be a wise decision.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I also got mine from ebay. $70 shipped. They take about 30 sec. or so to warm up ( fully lit ) after start up. I luv mine and for 70 beans you can't beat it. just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts